Main Menu

Strontium Dog Fan Film

Started by Steve Green, 19 September, 2014, 03:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

CalHab

I really enjoyed that. It was an enjoyable story and the production standards were excellent. It was great fun spotting the cameos in the Doghouse. Well done guys!

Steve Green

JayzusB.Christ

I loved it. Johnny and Wulf were perfect - I'm also pleased to see Johnny has evolved past the 70s bubbleperm. His voice was spot on too - gritty and a bit posher than I'd imagined, coming from a politician's son, it would be, wouldn't it?

Speaking of which, it was lovely to hear Durham Red sounding like she came from Durham (not that I'm any expert on the minutiae of Northern English accents, but it worked for me). She was, of course, appropriately beautiful too.

Middenface was great too, and the cameo from Kid Knee was a real buzz.  Also, did the Abelard Snazz lookalike ever appear in the comic?

Johnny and Wulf's journey towards the bad guy's lair really reminded me of the 2012 Dredd film, in the best way possible.

Lovely stuff, surpassing even the great Judge Minty. My only gripe was that i wanted another 2 hours of it - not that I'd inflict that on the makers!

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Steve Green

Thanks, we asked John Wagner if he had any guidance for Johnny's accent, and he said English, well-spoken, cited Daniel Craig.

We just took a punt on Durham Red's accent - there's nothing in her written dialogue to indicate dialect, but given her name that's what we went for.

The double decker mutant, was just a random mutant - I would liked to have done more with the doghouse, but it took a good couple of hours with just middenface's makeup prep, so it would have been a very early start, more makeup artists working simultaneously.

In an ideal world, it would have been a real set or a location with some added CGI dressing and a cast of at least 30 stronts in makeup and costume - but that was never going to happen on our budget.

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Steve Green

Tjm86

Quote from: Steve Green on 29 May, 2017, 02:51:10 PM
In an ideal world, it would have been a real set or a location with some added CGI dressing and a cast of at least 30 stronts in makeup and costume - but that was never going to happen on our budget.

What gets me is that you have produced something that is on a par with, if not better than, a lot of the crap that makes it to the mainstream channels and you are apologising for the quality of the end result.  Seriously sir, if that made it to Blu ray then you would have a customer here in a heart beat.  That said, I can appreciate how, as the artist in question you may be more conscious of the flaws than us in the audience. 

In short, an outstanding piece of work.  Looking forward to seeing what comes next.

Steve Green

Thanks,

I read somewhere that it's the difference between you knowing what you wanted to get on the page or on screen, but no-one else sees that, just the end result.

I could certainly spend another 6 months tweaking things, but the reality of bills to pay and hitting that date we'd set ourselves meant it had to go up.

I just tend to slip into a bit of a depression during post-production, since it's mostly on my shoulders by that point.

We ended up re-shooting the closeups of the dead stront, because the original wasn't gruesome enough and only held up in the wide shots. Same with the interrogation montage, we re-shot all that along with some other bits just before Christmas.

I'll be honest, it was a slog to get it done for Thought Bubble, and another slog to do it for the 40th. It's a relief to get it out the door.

Tjm86

Didn't George Lucas say you don't ever finish a film, just a reach a point where you can't do any more with it. (although that doesn't fully explain his obsession with tweaking Star Wars.)

Steve Green

Yeah can't imagine returning to it 20 years on :D

JayzusB.Christ

You know what? I'm going to pour myself a drink and watch it again right now.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: 8-Ball on 25 May, 2017, 10:44:31 PM
Well, that was just... neat.  :D My favourite part was Johnny and Wulf passing time on the ship. I just love character stuff like that. Excellent work, my hearty congratulations to everyone who took part.

That was indeed arsom (and I think it's time that word was resurrected).  You've got to love Wulf's off-duty hipster shirt too!

Steve Green

Hah, that was one of mine :)

JayzusB.Christ