Main Menu

Lack of love for the bundled "floppies"?

Started by sheldipez, 18 December, 2012, 12:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnystress

Thanks for that. They should get someone like Eoin Coveney to draw that missing piece.:)

Dandontdare

Subscribers will now also get a free art print of the Meg cover with logos etc removed  :D

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Dandontdare on 10 January, 2018, 06:39:18 PM
Subscribers will now also get a free art print of the Meg cover with logos etc removed  :D

And very nice and welcome it is too.
Received mine this morning.
Not had time to read it yet but did look at the print.
It's lovely :)

The Amstor Computer

Further to the Wagner's Walk discussion, the new floppy has both the final section *and* a three-panel recap that was printed in Tornado #10 to bridge the missing episodes. I'd forgotten that it was included in the issue (on the inside front cover, now I've checked) but it looks like it was illustrated by Mike White and reads as though it was hastily written by someone in editorial. Nice little inclusion from Rebellion, though it still leaves a little mystery about what actually happened with the strip...

IndigoPrime

And Outlier, from only a few years back. At this rate, the floppy will soon be reprinting bits of last month's Meg.

Colin YNWA

It's when they have to reprint stuff from the same issue the floppy is with we really have to start worrying!

Shame that Outlier didn't justify a trade as I really enjoyed it, though I'm consious I'm in a minority!

EDazzling

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 12 January, 2018, 04:55:14 PM
though I'm consious I'm in a minority!

So you could say that you're a... statistical........  outlier...

Professor Bear

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 12 January, 2018, 12:04:46 PM
And Outlier, from only a few years back. At this rate, the floppy will soon be reprinting bits of last month's Meg.

I think with the Tornado reprints we're already seeing the way forward.  Rebellion is sitting on a ton of material it will likely never use anywhere else.

Tjm86

Quote from: EDazzling on 12 January, 2018, 05:10:14 PM

Now that's just mean!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Tjm86 on 14 January, 2018, 07:01:01 PM
Quote from: EDazzling on 12 January, 2018, 05:10:14 PM

Now that's just mean!

Oh be so gloriously crafted!

The Amstor Computer

The floppy for Meg 395 is apparently going to be a "Nemesis the Warlock monograph", though it isn't clear from the solicitation whether it will be 64 pages of just that or whether it will be backed up with something else - https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/01/13/rebellion-april-2018-solicits/

Interesting idea, and there are a few strips in the comic long-running enough - and important and rich enough - to carry that weight.

re: archive material. Although Rebellion have a vast selection available to them to fill out floppies, the complicating factor will likely be the time involved in repro. If the floppies are essentially a value-add for the Meg then I'd expect material like Outlier - already sitting in suitable digital files for near-one-click inclusion - is perhaps easier to justify in the Meg budget than sourcing and cleaning up something from, say, Jinty or Battle.

If the Meg team can mix up prog reprints with older material and specials like the Nemesis monograph going forward the floppy should hopefully be a more eclectic and appealing part of the Meg for even older readers though.

Professor Bear

64 pages of text article still has to be paid for, I'd imagine, and this marks a departure for the floppies if Tharg is now producing original material for them.  Might it just be a collection of various text stories or articles from annuals and specials?

The Amstor Computer

I could see it being something like an extended one of the pieces Molch-R has written for the Mega Collection - an essay like that backed up with some less-reprinted Nemesis material, pinups, covers and perhaps including a shorter themed reprint (something else from Mills, O'Neill etc.?) would seem a bit more likely than a 64-page text piece.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: The Amstor Computer on 14 January, 2018, 10:27:35 PM
The floppy for Meg 395 is apparently going to be a "Nemesis the Warlock monograph", though it isn't clear from the solicitation whether it will be 64 pages of just that or whether it will be backed up with something else - https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/01/13/rebellion-april-2018-solicits/

I'm guessing there are no buyers of the Ultimate collection here...? The text piece in the back of the Nemesis books open 'taken from Rebellion's forthcoming Nemesis the Warlock: A monograph'.
@jamesfeistdraws

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 15 January, 2018, 09:00:44 AM
Quote from: The Amstor Computer on 14 January, 2018, 10:27:35 PM

I'm guessing there are no buyers of the Ultimate collection here...? The text piece in the back of the Nemesis books open 'taken from Rebellion's forthcoming Nemesis the Warlock: A monograph'.

Ah! Mystery solved :-)

And no, not a subscriber - I've got the Mega-Collection on the go and I can't justify £40 a month on that *and* the Ultimate Collection.