Main Menu

The Debate Debate

Started by paulvonscott, 02 February, 2004, 11:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

If that list included 'Does my bum look big in this?', it would be perfect.

stront692

i think some of the beginning of your post dissapeared again

anyway, this site in particular has like 3 expressions each for different levels of happy and sad, as well as lots of others with like 'puzzled' or mouth open to different degrees(shocked), eyes rolling

and the people on the site seem to understand my humour better bcos it relies on a lot of facial expression and tone of voice (deadpan answers to witty remarks etc)

rc

I've been pulling some strange expressions when I've been typing recently, I must admit.

thinky

i seemed to have joined in late, but for what it's worth i disagree... to some (and i'm keeping well out of the whole finger-pointing malarky here) it might as well say 'kick-off zone' or 'be rude to fellow boarders' or other such rubbish

i like the way it is now and without moderation. I think i like around 90% of people here (in so much that i've never actually met anyone from the board... well, not that i know if), and those i don't much like i'm pretty much ambivalent about

virtual fights like the SD thread spice things up and - after having read sc*jo's outpourings - don't seem to be that bad.

all that said, i reckon people need to be more tolerant towards others' opinions, that's all.

thinky
you think this isn't me? that's so sweet...
//http://www.adverseCamber.co.uk

Queen Firey-Bou

hey Art you missed out some,

'help me sort my life out'
'men/women are crap'
' i'm cleverer than you'
'lets all me smug after a get together'
'lets all hug & be nice'
'happy birthday'
'i'm more evil than you'
'heres a crappy link that takes 7 weeks to download'

Leigh S

I feel like launching into a Rhona Cameron style speech about how "sometimes we're all like that", but would probably end up causing even more grief, as I named and shamed boarders for their foibles!

I think I got wound up on the Stront thread because it seemed like people were putting forward their point of view, only to have that point of view rubbished or ignored, or some inference made about the opinions that wasn't actually there stated as a fact rather than a further question.  I stress that's my perception, and I'm sure that wasn't the intention, or possibly was the intention once rc was riled, or felt that he was getting the same treatment - but if you look at the posts most people explain why they think the way they do, rather than post "as fact"- Having said that I'm well aware you could probably find a similar approach from me elsewhere on other subject matter (probably something to do with Millar!).

Having a "debate" thread wouldn't actually stop that, but I suppose it would actually be a more accurate monicker for that kind of thread, and might subliminally keep people focussed on the point - not that I think it would then need moderating by the thread starter or anyone else - Compared to just about everywhere else on the net, this place is a haven of sanity and reasonableness....  my version of reasonableness anyway! :)    

Leigh S

We've missed the most important ones off:

"injoke": thus saving those outside the secret readers club the time reading said unfathomable post...

"secret readers club": for when we are deciding which stories to hate in advance!

Floyd-the-k

the idea of a `debate` thread is a good one. I don`t think having moderators is a good idea. I like Art`s and QFB`s suggestions.
   I don`t think they will stop rudeness and so on, but nothing will.

rc

Your second paragraph there is a lot of garble; this point of ignorance on my part is repeatedly being made and it is utterly incorrect - without deconstructing entire threads [any more than they have been] and with so many broken noses needing redemption it will not likely be flushed away however I respond, will it?

So I guess your opinion will be embraced, The Watcher - but at least we know where we stand.

Leigh S

Well you know, there you go, rc - I assumed letting you know why I felt I had gotten exasperated by that thread would get a negative reaction, but that wasn't the intention.  The last thing i want to do is hand out bloody noses, and its always great to have other boarders around, especially if they have something different to say.  It would probably would have been best for me not to say a thing, and avoid debating things with you, but I actually like debating these things, and I assume you do too - I don't care that you disagree with me - I always like to hear others opinions and add mine.  

Now that "garble" (it still makes sense to me) was how I honestly perceived your posts, without prejudice or forewarning.  Just from reading the threads unfold - if that's all in my head, then I'm sorry about that, and apologise for whatever transference is going on.  

Where all the negative and nasty things that were posted against you came from is just too crazy to unpick, given that it seems to stretch over numerous threads I haven't read, and numerous chatroom conversations I wasnt privy to.

The point is (with hopefully less garble) I'm not sure if the way I see you debate things by "making statements of fact" is your intention, or your debating style, or just my perception.  This wasnt a dig at you - it was an attempt to get at why that thread went odd, where so many haven't... Sure, you could argue people leapt down your throat, but they don't leap down everybody's - the reason could be we decided to pick on you randomly, but that really doesnt explain why those threads went bad, where a million haven't. And it's not just a case of disagreement, because we disagree all the time here about just about everything!

I kind of think you make almost my point for me a little here - "your second paragraph there is a lot of garble" - I'm trying to hold a conversation, but the reply is more like having my homework marked! Not much fun for anyone.

Leigh S

But as you could quite rightly say, the way you post (or the way I read your posts) really is nothing that can or should be picked over to such a degree, so have a hankie from me and I'll say no more.

Apologies to all injured parties, and while I'm at it, apologies to anyone else I've upset since the last time I apologised!

Leigh S

Erm - hankie for the bloody nose?  See, thats how these things spiral out of control... So, so easy....

Even more apologies!

Art

To be quite honest with you, I think it might be to your benifit to calm down, not post for a while, and come back when everyones calmed down about whatever the hell it was that got them so upset in the first place.

Tiplodocus

Art, your list should, of course include:

"Screamingly obvious comment about something in the manner of a bad observational comedian e.g. Why I hate XMAS (and the X stands for Xtremely commercial)"

"Why won't Tharg publish my infantile scribblings?"

"X Sucks"

and

"Y Rocks"

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

paulvonscott

Well, I'm giving up now anyway, between rc arguing with everyone and Art taking the piss this was a waste of time and shows it probably wouldn't work anyway.