Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

To be fair, they all ran with the funny tinge thing, too.  Wait I meant they did the opposite of that.

In other news: up yours, Glinner, you wanker.  The icing on the cake is probably the higher visibility that both Mermaids and trans rights now have, and Hbomberguy's Donkey Kong livestream that raised an extra quarter million in funding.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Professor Bear on 19 February, 2019, 03:51:42 PM
To be fair, they all ran with the funny tinge thing, too.  Wait I meant they did the opposite of that.
Not sure what you mean there, but it was a top story on The Guardian this morning.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Professor Bear on 19 February, 2019, 03:51:42 PM

In other news: up yours, Glinner, you wanker.  The icing on the cake is probably the higher visibility that both Mermaids and trans rights now have, and Hbomberguy's Donkey Kong livestream that raised an extra quarter million in funding.

I liked the exquisitely phrased comment: "The Mumsnet post against the proposed grant was started by Irish comedian Graham Linehan, who has written some sitcoms and does not have training or expertise in the treatment protocol of trans children."

Theblazeuk

Bloody hell, Linehan's worse than I'd encountered. Mumsnet...

Professor Bear

Linehan is a cop.

Gaming Youtuber Jim Sterling has never made any secret of his left-wing leanings in his videos about the entertainment industry's products, but he may have reached a sweet crossover patch between his political beliefs and his hobby in his piece about how the business practices of AAA videogames publishers are deliberately destroying videogaming.
I absolutely fucking hate online multiplayer gaming, so this one struck a chord with me as someone watching the games industry ravage once-great studios and franchises in order to switch the default gaming model from "product" to "service" that they may stave off the inevitable and completely unavoidable collapse of their profit margin.

sheridan

Quote from: Professor Bear on 21 February, 2019, 02:40:07 PM
someone watching the games industry ravage once-great studios and franchises in order to switch the default gaming model from "product" to "service" that they may stave off the inevitable and completely unavoidable collapse of their profit margin.

You're saying that the game industry might collapse?  This could be serious - never mind destroying the UK economy, stopping international travel (apart from to repatriate citizens stripped of nationality who have never been to a foreign country before), environmental armageddon and the rest.  If Rebellion has problems that might affect the weekly prog!

Dandontdare

Because of that twat Yaxley-Lenon planning to march past our offices to the BBC at Salford Quays, they've decided to close, which means  I'm being bussed from Manchester to Staines tomorrow and put up in a hotel, so that I can do my Saturday shift at our other main call centre - why this is cheaper than just hiring some security guards to protect the building for a few hours is a mystery, but hey it means I get to miss half of tomorrow's shift and get a nice meal and hotel stay, so I'm not gutted.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 20 February, 2019, 01:37:33 PM
Bloody hell, Linehan's worse than I'd encountered. Mumsnet...

Did you know there's a job where you use specially adapted scuba gear to dive into sewers?

Anyway, I stumbled across an interesting acronym that's apparently common on mumsnet, an acronym I've not seen anywhere else.

YANBU

I just found that interesting.
You may quote me on that.

Professor Bear

Someone named Bowser now runs Nintendo America.  The whole world is going to Hell.

CalHab

Quote from: Professor Bear on 21 February, 2019, 10:52:37 PM
Someone named Bowser now runs Nintendo America.  The whole world is going to Hell.

"Everything is politics." Thomas Mann

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Professor Bear on 21 February, 2019, 10:52:37 PM
Let the Bowsette CEO fanfiction begin...

Professor Bear

Bowsette cosplayers can stay.  Everyone else get out.

radiator

Genuine question - what is up with all the accusations of anti-semitism that surround Corbyn?

Is there any real substance to it, because I never really hear any actual examples being cited, I just hear the accusations themselves as if that should convince me. I'm totally open to counterpoints, but right now all I'm hearing is 'Hilary's emails!'.

Professor Bear

He was a Czech spy this time last year.
People who know him personally - including members of orthodox jewish groups with no political affiliations - say there's no substance to the claims, but right wing news outlets who have waged a four year hate campaign against him insist otherwise.  As you can imagine, it's impossible to know who to believe.

In more sensible times, that even his harshest critics won't directly call him an antisemite in a legally neutral venue would probably have been the end of the matter, though I guess you could do worse than Google "Joan Ryan bribe" to find the footage of her discussing the fabrication of antisemitism smears against the leadership of the Labour Party that she now insists doesn't exist.
Corbyn's a big boy, though, and he'll be fine - the real issue is the erasure of leftwing jews from this conversation.

radiator

I generally try to be as objective as I can - to be clear I'm certainly on the left side of things and I somewhat admire Corbyn by default seeing that he actually seems to stand for something and have principals (and I utterly loathe the tories), but I wouldn't call myself a hardcore supporter of his (I'm a remainer for a start), and from where I'm standing it just seems like one big ongoing smear campaign. They've tried various things before - including the 'commie spy' angle, it's just that this one seems to have stuck more than the others.