Main Menu

A confession

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 18 January, 2019, 11:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Here it is: I'm not reading too much of the prog these days.  I ran out of cash a few years ago then realised I was a bit lost; and never found the time to catch up.  I buy batches of digi-progs sporadically but skip quite a bit, and am probably missing out.  Weird, after nearly 40 years of reading religiously.  Maybe it's the lack of a consistent Wagner Dredd (can't be helped, I know, and there are other fine Dredd writers but that continuity isn't as strong as it was). Or maybe I'm just getting old.

The honest-to-grud truth is, I keep coming here because I love you feckers.  I've been a boarder for about 18 years now and I still think this is the best little corner of the interweb, because you guys make it that way.

But I should probably start getting back into the prog.  What should I read from the last 4 or 5 years, and what should I not bother with?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dandontdare

Dude, even if you never bought another prog in your life, you're still a squaxx till you die: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

When I got disillusioned with buying Marvel comics in the late 80s, I figured that anything good would be collected in  books that I could buy after the event. So even if you can't justify a weekly sub, continuing to hang around here must give you enough tips to pick up the best stories when they do get collected - current fave though is Brink.

I don't know what the public Libraries are like round you, but you can sometimes read loads of comic books (inc 2000ad stuff) for free. Manchester had a big spending splurge a few years ago, and the conic section was huge and diverse for a while - They have stopped buying them now because apparently GNs get stolen more than any other type of book. Sad.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dandontdare on 19 January, 2019, 12:10:04 AM
Dude, even if you never bought another prog in your life, you're still a squaxx till you die: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

When I got disillusioned with buying Marvel comics in the late 80s, I figured that anything good would be collected in  books that I could buy after the event. So even if you can't justify a weekly sub, continuing to hang around here must give you enough tips to pick up the best stories when they do get collected - current fave though is Brink.

I don't know what the public Libraries are like round you, but you can sometimes read loads of comic books (inc 2000ad stuff) for free. Manchester had a big spending splurge a few years ago, and the conic section was huge and diverse for a while - They have stopped buying them now because apparently GNs get stolen more than any other type of book. Sad.

Ah, thanks, fella.  I truly do love it here. The main library in Dublin does indeed have a fairly decent GN selection, with quite a bit of 2000ad stuff included.

I really need to read Brink, it would seem. I kind of thought it was another rambling, concept-heavy and storyline-lite Brass Sun type affair, but people round here seem to be suggesting otherwise. So that's my next port of call.

By the way, the brother tells me your sweatshirt was put in the post this morning - apparently late January is the new Christmas 😀
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

broodblik

With the digital option available catching up is made much easier and it will cost you less. Depends on your taste and what type of story you like it makes it difficult but here is my list of the last 5 years:

1. Brink - this is one of the best series that was introduced the last few years and is a slow-burner. So do not except action but except some words. Read this at all cost
2. Jaegir - If you ever liked Rogue then this a series that plays in the same universe except the lead is a female Nort agent investigating war crimes. The art of Simon Colbey makes this dark gritty story worthwhile.
3. Deadworld - if you ever liked the Dark Judges then go for this since this almost an alternative take on the rises of the Dark ones.
4. The Order - This one is of you like your stories fast paced, helter skelter, roller coast riding. A real mixer of sci-fi, fantasy and even a twist of horror,time traveling and alternative history. John Burns does his great painted art. Definitely you can get lost quite quikely and thus not everyone's cup of tea.
5. Brass Sun - If you like Ian Edginton's work then this is for you. Brass Sun is a science fiction steampunk adventure set in a full-scale orrery (words I stolen from wikipedia).
6. Grey Area - Another story from Dan Abnett. The Global Exo Segregation Zone (aka the 'Grey Area') is a huge holding area in Arizona housing all manner of aliens hoping to visit earth: a melting pot for alien disputes, crime and inter-species misunderstandings! (this time words stolen from 2000AD online shop)
7. Survival Geeks - If you like pop-culture multiverse comedy. Our heroes literally uses their house as means of travel.

These for me was the new series highlights the past few years.  Old favorites was still around like Strontium Dog, ABC Warrior, Slaine and Indigo Prime. Even Durham Red and Fiends of the Eastern Front made their return in a slightly new jacket.

As always the prog do go trough periods where your love for the prog will falter. So yes I still  believe after 40 years of reading it is still worthwhile to pick-up the prog.

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

If the library has the two Lawless trades I'd defo give them a spin.

Otherwise as Dandontdare says really.

JayzusB.Christ

Thanks a million for the recommendations.  I've read pretty much all of the Deadworld stuff and like it a lot. Also read most of Survival Geeks, which is fun and easy to flick through.
Am I missing any important Dredds? I've only really kept up with the Wagner stuff over the past few years (and Carlos's Block Judge was outstanding).  I still miss Al Ewing, whose Dredds outshone everyone else's but John himself.

broodblik

Rob Williams Dredd is also very good. His recent storyline "The Small House" which was awesome is the last part of the  Trifecta, Titan, and Enceladus stroylines he did.

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JayzusB.Christ

Cool.  I've read Trifecta and Titan so I'll get up to date soon.
I thought we'd overdosed on Guthrie a bit during Gordon's tenure on Dredd but now I find myself kind of missing him. He's a fascinating character; sort of a serious Dirty Frank, and now a cyborg, unless I've missed any developments.

Richard

You should read Ladykiller (PJ Maybe story by Wagner and Ezquerra, progs 1991-98, not collected yet), Strontium Dog:The Son (by the same, 2073-81), Hope... For the Future (there's a recent graphic novel now), and when the next Kingdom collection comes out then do get that.

Also Judge Dredd stories Harvey (2024-29), which is a prequel to the story starting right now in prog 2115 (and you'll kick yourself if you miss that), and War Buds (2045-49).

Also Dominion (grim, bleak, non-comedy Dark Judges story by Wagner and Nick Percival, a sequel to Dark Justice which I assume you read before you lapsed), and the third story in that trilogy is going on in the Meg right now, so worth getting Megs 400 to present (404) just for that. And also for Lawless and Storm Warning in those issues.

Also the last Dredd mega-epic, by Michael Carroll, was collected in Every Empire Falls not long ago.

Ezquerra's last ever Dredd was in prog 2023.

There was an excellent Zenith text story (in the form of an interview with Zenith) by Matt Smith in prog 2050, if you like that sort of thing. Also a good Rogue Trooper one-off in the same prog, with fabulous art by Leonardo Mancini which would be a crime to miss.

Durham Red (2082-89).

von Boom

I'm very much in the same predicament JCB. Money is very tight and has been for a while. So while I still pick up the odd issue or two when I can, I've had to let my subs go.

But you're right. This is a brilliant place to be.

clavell

Forgive me Tharg for I have sinned.

It's been 7 years since my last prog, and in that time I've read so many titles from other publishers that I've lost count. Furthermore, I've not only enjoyed it, but I intend to keep doing it until something stops me, or I stop myself. In my defence, I thought the Dredd movie from 2012 was the best film of the year, and it gets better with every repeat viewing.

- C
Writing Future Shocks is hard !

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Richard on 19 January, 2019, 01:36:11 PM
You should read Ladykiller (PJ Maybe story by Wagner and Ezquerra, progs 1991-98, not collected yet), Strontium Dog:The Son (by the same, 2073-81), Hope... For the Future (there's a recent graphic novel now), and when the next Kingdom collection comes out then do get that.

Also Judge Dredd stories Harvey (2024-29), which is a prequel to the story starting right now in prog 2115 (and you'll kick yourself if you miss that), and War Buds (2045-49).

Also Dominion (grim, bleak, non-comedy Dark Judges story by Wagner and Nick Percival, a sequel to Dark Justice which I assume you read before you lapsed), and the third story in that trilogy is going on in the Meg right now, so worth getting Megs 400 to present (404) just for that. And also for Lawless and Storm Warning in those issues.

Also the last Dredd mega-epic, by Michael Carroll, was collected in Every Empire Falls not long ago.

Ezquerra's last ever Dredd was in prog 2023.

There was an excellent Zenith text story (in the form of an interview with Zenith) by Matt Smith in prog 2050, if you like that sort of thing. Also a good Rogue Trooper one-off in the same prog, with fabulous art by Leonardo Mancini which would be a crime to miss.

Durham Red (2082-89).

Oddly, most of these happen to be strips I have read. Yeah, some great stuff there alright.

I loved the Zenith interview; thought Matt nailed it perfectly there. (Though I can't see how Nuke the Whippet could possibly have been a baggy band; with Zenith wearing their t shirt long before the Madchester explosion ever happened.)

JayzusB.Christ

The Wagner and McNeil Dredd this week has hooked me again. I'll be back in the fold at least until this one plays out.  Must catch up on Brink too, judging my all your comments.

Rately

Similar predicament on this end, JayzusB!

Money tight, the upcoming Wedding and simply finding the time to even read my accumulated digital comics, novels etc. have left me pretty much picking and choosing my 2000ADs based on the writing!

I know I'm missing out on so much, but hopefully later in year I'll be able to delve back in with the digital Progs, and maybe start purchasing the Meg digitally as well.

Bloody killing me that i can't purchase the Prog at moment with the Wagner / McNeil Dredd starting its run! Maybe I'll treat myself for the Honeymoon!

paddykafka

Thargemada has noted your confessions.

You may expect a visit from his Inquisitors soon.

Be Pure! Be Vigilant and Subscribe!  :lol: