Main Menu

This Forum

Started by LARF, 22 May, 2008, 03:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoagy

Okay. This is woth a try....*

Because people are not as articulate as others does not mean they should not have a point of view.

From that I think Matt has shown great respect to Phil by acknowledging his points are heard and they are affecting. I escalate like someone who should be shunned from society a lot recently. But for 5 years between 2000 and 2005 I had my head on straight. X didn't mean up and Y did not mean down any more. The panic was lost and reason flooded my nervous system.

Empathy seems lost a lot in internet commenting and maybe thats due to the lack of human contact with the person you're commenting on. Impulsive posting should be good hearted and pleasantly orchestrated but in truth this hardly ever happens because of the massive uncertainty of being unheard.

Our demographic have been brought up where people can't afford a toffee for everything we did that was good because theres is a lot of good stuff being done. Its our duty to proclaim that this is the Galaxies greatest. Also to expect an earbashing   when we shit on our own doorstep. Because, setting you straight when you go wrong because they care for you costs nothing. You're also looking after your future interests. Its pretty reasonable.

It just takes some of us longer to soak that in and before its all ironed out and organised in yourself the next three or four impulses have had  a stommload to say.

I think boarders like me have to remember; This is not our office, we don't have to react straight away or files go one way and hell will break loose.

It is not a marriage where if you have to think about it the other person doesn't feel you really do love them.

Its a medium we have expressive interests and tendernesses for.

As for real names, I say this;

Strip away the personality and all you have is another animal.

That's great with sex although it isn't that good with love. And you should never confuse the two.

Anyway I wanted my passionate plea and there it is.

PS; There are a lot of fundamental flaws in the message board which have to be worked with if we do indeed want this to be a good place to come talk. As much as the previews are predictive to the message outcome it never looks like how you planned the rant/comment to be in the first place.

I count three states of change in a post.

The initial box.
The preview.
The final post.

We like the eccentricity of the board but are frustrated by its lowfi?

Or can we  consider it when posting?

Just an afterthought. (*See top)
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

mastertsan

Is this not deflecting away the fact that the last issue was a bit rubbish.  Sure the criticism could have been articulated a little better, and the response shouldn't have been a threat to take down the board or such, that's playground chest puffing.   Why not take the reviews as a form of feedback and do something about it?  Similarly, why not address the issue of bad issues in a more constructive manner (although Bollox is a fair point, crude but expressive)? The simple fact is to put out a good issue and the creators can bask in the glowing praise that comes with it!  
Jon

mastertsan

Or maybe instead of posting negative remarks about the issue, don't buy it!  I'm sure that would send a larger message than swearing and complaining and keep all posters happy.  
Jon

M.I.K.

How would you know if it was rubbish or not if you didn't buy it?

Art

How would you know if it was rubbish or not if you didn't buy it?

I would call that the Doctor Who Conundrum, in honor of the boarders who watch Doctor Who week after week to make sure they still don't like it.

Funt Solo

I disagree that the recent prog was "bollox", though. It might not be thrilling socks off entirely, but it's hardly a bad run of stories.  Comparatively, it's not as good as the first part of the year - but then that was ridiculously good, so it's no surprise that whatever came afterwards couldn't live up to it.

There's actually nothing bad in the prog at the moment, for my money: it's all just different degrees of good.  My least favourite strip recently has been Dead Signal, but note that I said "least favourite".  The garish colours and the open ending weren't my cup of tea, but at the same time it was attempting something quite different by leaving question marks, and by drastically altering the art style between the two  given realities.  Simply for not being predictable, it should be praised.  And if that's the worst that's on offer (for me), then I'm a lucky squaxx.

Really, I'm not looking forward to Defoe, because I didn't enjoy the script in the last one, much.  I thought that carrying out philosophical name-dropping discussions in the middle of a heated battle just didn't work well for my suspension of disbelief.  The art was amazing, though: and the art wouldn't be there without the same imagination that made the choices about having those discussions in the middle of the battle scenes.

And so on...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

pauljholden

"Is this not deflecting away the fact that the last issue was a bit rubbish."

Well, first - that's your opinion*, and, of course, you're welcome to it - but no, the tension, I'm pretty sure has been building and, granted it was probably less likely to explode in the middle of thread of universal praise - but to dismiss it as being the result of a single issue is a wrong.

- pj
*Very few progs ever get universal praise or universal condemnation - and there are contrary opnions of the prog here there and everywhere.

Dog Deever

One question though, and it's relevant to the whole 'them and us' thing that seems to be developing-
On-board critics are to reveal identities, but droids who go complaining to Tharg? We'll never be told which ones did and they won't have to put their names behind their groans. It could create more of divide than anything else.

This whole 'corporate board' thingy is a nonsense as well- how does that impact on the more political stuff that's been in tooth over the years. Its hypocracy plain and simple.
2000ad, the rebellious, anti authoritarian comic. Getting heavy with it's staunchest fans because it doesn't like their opinions. I'll think about that the next time I read about Dredd being a fascist bully boy cop.

If we all pissed off to the review site and left this place to the cyberdust and tumbleweed, I doubt that a dead forum would look too good for 2000ad.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

pauljholden

"On-board critics are to reveal identities, but droids who go complaining to Tharg?"

There are two issues you're conflating here:

1) On the board I think it's reasonable to ask people to use real names (including any droids that post here - although, afaik, the mostly do already) - it should be noted, droids are rarely anonymous in print.

2) Do we want to name and shame those people that complained to tharg? Personally, I say no - let's take the complaints on the chin and move on, otherwise you're in danger of starting a witch hunt. (And besides, it's less likely to be a specific instance of a specific person and more likely to be a general, on going, ill feeling that many creators feel that the board is an inhospitable place for them).

"This whole 'corporate board' thingy is a nonsense as well- how does that impact on the more political stuff that's been in tooth over the years. Its hypocracy plain and simple. "

If 2000AD prints something that's political and someone doesn't agree with it the company either has to stand beside it or not - the website inhabits a weird zone where if someone says something against (for example) McDonalds and McDonalds comes in and demands recompense - what happens there? do rebellion stand by some poster they don't know?

"Getting heavy with it's staunchest fans because it doesn't like their opinions. "

It's not that they don't like the opinions, so much as they way those opinions are often expressed in a negative way.

"If we all pissed off to the review site and left this place to the cyberdust and tumbleweed, I doubt that a dead forum would look too good for 2000ad."

And if the message board pissed off all the creators who decided they'd had enough of the working for 2000AD it wouldn't look great for 2000AD either.*

-pj
*Not that either of those scenarios are likely to happen - there are other forums.

Eric Plumrose

Dammit, PJ, stop trying to be so sodding reasonable! I bet you like torturing Gronks, on the sly . . .
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

longmanshort

As Matt said and PJ has repeatedly pointed out - it is NOT criticism that is the problem here, but the manner in which it is delivered. No-one is censoring opinions or suggesting opinions should be censored or that people should not express an opinion or that some opinions are more valid than others. At no time did Matt say that he wants to silence those who disagree with him or the opiions of creators. That DIDN'T happen.

He raised a legitimate concern about the WAY those opinions have been expressed and THAT is the issue here. Let's keep it on the actual issue, rather than imagined ones.
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Dog Deever

How can you put a less negative slant on something you don't like?

longmanshort

Dead simple - you simply EXPLAIN your opinions, negative or positive, rather than just shouting the first thing to come into your head.

Dog Deever

Like you just did? Read my post again...

longmanshort

Don't follow you...