Main Menu

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

Started by Goaty, 07 April, 2016, 12:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 19 December, 2016, 09:26:54 AM
Anyone else think the robot was channeling Sheldon Cooper?

Good call! Damn funny though, Tudyk does another great job. My main thought on K2SO was that the Empire should really dispense with training those bucket-heads and just hand out blasters to its tactical droids... The Seppies really missed a trick there too.

Something else I enjoyed [spoiler]was the not-so subtle involvement of the Force in shaping events for the heroes, a nice gentle counterpart to the tsunami of power and hate that Vader unleashes...[/spoiler]. Gawds but that bit was so damn cool. So easy to misjudge that scene, but as it sits as Episode 3.75, [spoiler]seeing Vader going from a pallid lump of flesh floating in a tank of his own self-loathing to this unstoppable force of mechanical evil... close and repeated inspection shows his actual moves as almost pedestrian, just walk, block, swing, chop, no prequelish balletics or flourishes: just vicious implacable butchery.  [/spoiler]Worth the ticket price on its own, and what Episode III should have shown us.

Bolt-01

As we left the cinema Micro-bolt asked if I'd pay for him to watch that again just so he could see the Vader scene. The rest of the film was very enjoyable, but 'that' scene really was chilling.

NapalmKev

I really enjoyed it! Good FX in general despite a couple of small niggles.

The Vader scene at the end was stunning, and possibly my favourite scene from the any of the films!

It certainly rekindled my interest in Star Wars after the (IMO) disappointing Force Awakens.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Dolman

I was so happy [spoiler]to see Tarkin[/spoiler], even if his CGI were inconsistent. FX in general were pretty good and that [spoiler]Vader[/spoiler] scene was amazing. Despite CGI and full action, this movie has an old school vibe.

shaolin_monkey

Amen to that [spoiler]final Vader scene. The whole audience gasped, and prompted a rather inappropriate (as there were kids in the audience) exclamation of 'Fucking hell!' from me.[/spoiler]

I'm definitely going to see the film again - slow to start, but once it got going it was a cracker!

sheridan

Quote from: radiator on 18 December, 2016, 06:13:33 PM
So people actually liked the Vader scenes?

The groanworthy pun? The fact that he was desperately shoe-horned in, and served zero purpose in the story other than to upstage the bland actual villain of the movie? The way his hyperkinetic, over the top fight/massacre scene was jarringly in contrast to the lumbering space gangster figure we meet in the original movie?

Shoe-horned in?  I can't see how they could present the film without him - the film which follows directly afterwards starts in the middle of him chasing Princess Leia's corvette!

Radbacker

That was fan bloody tastic, I'm easy to please but i just loved it. [spoiler]I liked the fact that all the main characters were knocked off, not unexpected but pretty brutal and i thought they'd given me enough for each one for it to hurt a little as they each met their fate[/spoiler]
Vader was just an absolute wrecking machine
That Last line in the movie was a doozy too but she definatly didn't look quite right, the eyes weren't glazed enough  :lol:

CU Radbacker

sheldipez

I thought it was excellent. Perfect amount of old and new, nice nudges and winks ([spoiler]hello Chopper![/spoiler]). I thought the cast did a great job, the set pieces were superb, the camera work was as I was expecting from Edwards (the first proper Wars movie in the franchise?!).

Vader was top, his "choke" line was fitting with the character IMO, Anakin in Clone Wars always had his one liners and puns so it seems right that it would continue albeit much darker in tone when he was Vader, he was always one to toy with his prey across the original trilogy and more recently Rebels. The CGI for those "two things" wasn't perfect but my 11 year old turned around to the wife when [spoiler]Leia [/spoiler]was on screen and said [spoiler]"How did they make her young?!"[/spoiler], so I'd say it did job well. In fact I think nearly every element of the film was well pulled off, I did miss Williams' music if I'm honest but we all know that Williams isn't going to be doing Star Wars films forever so have to get used it sooner or later. My "couldnt care less about Star Wars" missus enjoyed it also and said it was good to have something different rather than the ever ongoing story of the Skywalkers. I thought it was also very ballsy for Disney to allow for [spoiler]everyone to be killed off[/spoiler], especially when you consider their Marvel franchise exists [spoiler]for returning characters[/spoiler]. I need to watch it a few more times but I feel like I preferred this over Force Awakens, it certainly had more original ideas which shouldn't have been the case when Force Awakens should be all new sequel and this is a prequel set up which we all knew how (or thought we did) went down.

Oh I also like that the film filled in the plot hole of A New Hope of [spoiler]why the Empire would build a Death Star with such a simple way to take it down with one lucky shot; it was intentional. [/spoiler]

The Enigmatic Dr X

That was the prequel I was looking for.

P-yam! P-yam!

Ssswoosh!
Lock up your spoons!

sheridan

As well as Glyn Dillon's name, I also spied Duncan Fegredo in the end credits :D

Hawkmumbler

LOVED THAT!

A proper Star Wars prequel, with grim and unrelenting combat. Awesome!

COMMANDO FORCES

Vader must've been tired when it got to boarding the ship again in the next film, as he let all the Stormtroopers go in front of him. Surely he could've just rampaged through the rebels again!

TordelBack

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 20 December, 2016, 07:17:30 PM
Vader must've been tired when it got to boarding the ship again in the next film, as he let all the Stormtroopers go in front of him. Surely he could've just rampaged through the rebels again!

Perhaps he was a bit distracted, returning to the planet where he began his descent to evil - I mean what are the odds, this upstart Alderaanean rebel fleeing with the stolen plans to the very planet furthest from the bright centre of the universe where he himselfwas from? What is the Force playing at, eh?

Or maybe he wasn't in much hurry because the Tantive IV was safely in the belly of his Star Destroyer?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 20 December, 2016, 07:31:44 PM
Perhaps he was a bit distracted, returning to the planet where he began his descent to evil - I mean what are the odds, this upstart Alderaanean rebel fleeing with the stolen plans to the very planet furthest from the bright centre of the universe where he himselfwas from? What is the Force playing at, eh?

I thought it was an interesting little addition that [spoiler]Bail Organa was still in contact with Kenobi and reaches out to him before the plans are stolen.[/spoiler] I'm not up on what has or hasn't been established outside the immediate movies/ Clone Wars/ Rebels continuity... is that new?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

Really enjoyed this. The effects were superb and there's finally a droid I don't want to push into a grinder. The only two niggles I have are that the film seemed a little dark (maybe the cinema's fault for net getting the settings right - I don't know how these systems work) and the voice of one of the otherwise impressive characters was all wrong. Apart from that - fantastic.

I was never a massive Star Wars fan because it never seemed to live up to its potential but this film, I think, does that in spades. Probably my favourite SW film of the lot so far, by some considerable margin. Can't wait to watch it again.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]