Main Menu

Ebay watch.

Started by maryanddavid, 14 May, 2012, 12:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hippynumber1

Unless you're talking McMahon or Bolland interior pages of course!  ;)

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

Albion

Quote from: Skullmo on 18 October, 2012, 02:27:26 PM
That's a lot of credits for a drawing!

It's not just a drawing. It's art.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Skullmo

Quote from: Albion on 18 October, 2012, 03:13:51 PM
Quote from: Skullmo on 18 October, 2012, 02:27:26 PM
That's a lot of credits for a drawing!

It's not just a drawing. It's art.

A banana split is still a banana.

Spikes

Its Carlos, so its art,  ;)
Must admit its not really a cover that got my heart beating faster, but still its a nice example.
Thats about on the money for a cover of this type, i guess. Sigh - when will i get a cover,  :(

Albion

Quote from: Skullmo on 18 October, 2012, 03:49:23 PM
A banana split is still a banana.

But it's a banana with extras.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Skullmo

Quote from: Judge Jack on 18 October, 2012, 04:28:37 PM
Its Carlos, so its art,  ;)
Must admit its not really a cover that got my heart beating faster, but still its a nice example.
Thats about on the money for a cover of this type, i guess. Sigh - when will i get a cover,  :(

You can get one . . . . it's just going to take a lot of saving and baked beans on toast for tea!

ming

There's a lovely O'Neill Nemesis page on eBay right now, but a bargain it's not (starting price is £1,700 and there's a reserve price :o).  I know O'Neill art is scarce - I think the last page I saw on eBay (from Book III; Chira, but no Nemesis) was a couple of years back, but I think that sold for about 1/4 of the starting price of this page (which, as I say, is lovely).  Will be interesting to see if there are any takers...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kevin-ONeill-original-2000ad-artwork-Nemesis-Book-1-/180999624063?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D2849748249725474855%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D3%26sd%3D280997162891%26

Colin YNWA

I was goggin' at that the other day and wondering if it was over priced, but since I know nowt about these things kept my counsel. It does feel a significant piece, even without Nemesis as it scene I remember so fondly.

Mind the thing that struck me was how they used red lettering for the emphasized words so they came out a different colour in the comic. So much care taken over art that would appear on bog paper, brings a tear to the eye...

... well I found it interesting...

... I led a dull life...

ming

Well I don't know if it's overpriced but with such a high starting price and an unknown reserve price in place, it feels like it.  We'll get some idea from seeing whether or not it sells at the asking price, I suppose.

As far as I'm aware, Kev O'Neill doesn't like to sell art much these days; you certainly don't see much of it floating about.  The prices for the art he's been selling through the Illustration Cupboard are relatively reasonable given the scarcity of the artwork, the premium nature of the pieces on sale (mainly covers or colour work) and the fact that most of the cash goes back to Kev rather than some lucky bugger who picked the art up for (relative) peanuts back in the day.

And as for the red text, I think that's just black marker that's faded to off-brown :lol:

I think.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: ming on 19 October, 2012, 01:08:55 PM

And as for the red text, I think that's just black marker that's faded to off-brown :lol:

Damnit, DAMNIT ALL TO HELL!!!!

hippynumber1

I thought it was over-priced, lovely though it is, especially when you compare it to the robot stampede splash page which is available for less!

Dandontdare

agreed, it's a very nice page, but I wouldn't say that it's "One of the most detailed and accomplished examples of his work"

Spikes

Quote from: ming on 19 October, 2012, 01:08:55 PM

Yep, some marker's have a habit of doing that - fading to a reddish colour over time.
Theres been a few pages, over on CAF, that have that, and not just for the lettering. Some Marvel stuff, nearly all the art has faded away, and will eventually disappear, i guess.

But thats a very lovely page, isnt it. Kev's art is truly that - art. Sigh.

ming

Quote from: Dandontdare on 19 October, 2012, 02:39:23 PM
...I wouldn't say that it's "One of the most detailed and accomplished examples of his work"

You would if you were trying to flog it for seventeen hundred quid.

Well, I would.

:lol: