Main Menu

Ebay watch.

Started by maryanddavid, 14 May, 2012, 12:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

I'd tend to agree with Bob and Colin... Some of the prices at the Book Palace might seem a little steep but the fact that they've sat there for a while doesn't necessarily mean they're overpriced*.  More than people might be prepared to pay (particularly based on art prices in years gone by) and more than most people are willing / able to fork out for non-essential luxuries, but not as excessive as some prices I've seen.  I agree that if these pages came up on eBay a lot of them would probably sell for less than the listed prices but again, that might be a reflection of people's ability to pay what they're able or simply what the art's worth to them - which, or course, is what this all boils down to.

* The Illustration Cupboard O'Neill pieces are in a similar category, although quite a few of those have sold / been removed from the website.  Prices there are high but a fair reflection of the level of the artwork and if they haven't all been snapped up it's mainly because I don't have the money  :D

Spikes

Im hard pressed to think of any pages selling from that site, and ive been watching it for at least three years.
And three years ago Carlos' art wasnt fetching that kind of money - so definitely was overpriced then. Always thought it was very strange that his art, until relatively recently, was selling for not a great deal. Go figure..

Im aware that art doesnt sell for various reasons, but i still think they are overpriced (however slightly).  Knock a bit o' money off (£50ish? A little bit more?) and i think these would shift a bit better.

Colin YNWA

Mind maybe if its been there for sometime and the prices haven't budged they are in no rush to sell. They've set a price they are willing to sell for and are quite happily watching prices escalate until they reach their own valuation, which I guess they will in the end?

Now if he'd just cut the price of that Tharg page to £150...

torque

How much would you pay for that Tharg, or a similar Ezquerra Tharg? I'll dig out the folders and see if I have one.

Andy_Lee

There's a non-2000AD page on the Book Palace I'd love that's priced up at just under a £1000. Do you think they take offers? I'm rubbish at pricing stuff up, I keep getting some guy emailing me about a Frank Quitely page I own, I'm not sure what to offer it at.

hippynumber1

Quote from: AndyLee on 18 April, 2013, 09:57:07 PM
There's a non-2000AD page on the Book Palace I'd love that's priced up at just under a £1000. Do you think they take offers? I'm rubbish at pricing stuff up, I keep getting some guy emailing me about a Frank Quitely page I own, I'm not sure what to offer it at.

There's no harm in asking if they'll accept offers, or what the best price they can do it for...

Spikes

Ive mailed the owner a few times with various questions, over the years but have never asked about the prices..  ::)

Would be interesting to see if there is movement in those prices. And certainly there's no harm in asking.
I'd ask about any best price, before thinking about making offers, though.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: torque on 18 April, 2013, 09:47:54 PM
How much would you pay for that Tharg, or a similar Ezquerra Tharg? I'll dig out the folders and see if I have one.

Not sure if that's aimed at me specifically but I'll answer it just in case.

£150... no seriously going forward a Tharg piece by either Carlos or Eric Bradbury is on my wish list and realistically for my short term aims (by which I mean the next few years, damn those children!) I'm looking at pieces no more than £200 - £300 as an absolute max. depending on the piece. If stuff on my wish list turns out to be more than that I shift into longer term goals (with a couple of very rare exceptions I know in my mind if the chance comes up I might stretch things).

To put this into perspective the most I have spend to date is £100, but I'm trying to up may game so I can focus on a few pieces I really desire. Though to be fair so far I've actually got a few of these and I've still not crossed that £100 Rubicon.

All that said, I'm still in fund raising mode at the moment, I'm only (meant) allow myself to buy pieces when I've earned the money from selling comic stuff on eBay. So I've got my next lot of sales ready to go up, just need to get around to doing it... AND I've already broken my own rules when Wake told us Brett Ewins had all the Skreemer pages up for sale and I've asked after one of those to try to get the pick of the bunch... so at them moment I'm not looking unless I see an absolute bargain from either Carlos or Eric Bradbury.

malak brood

I think that the Book Palace web site exists at all is pretty cool, there are some really interesting pieces there....some great Graham Cotton artwork, a really interesting Mike Western piece......anyway, whilst I haven't  bought anything from them myself there have been times when they have had sales.  This has been on selected artwork but from memory the Carlos stuff was included and was either 15 or 25% off.  Other artwork has been knocked down by 40% for a limited time period.

Its has to be worth asking for a discount if you fancy anything there.

Ming has a good point on the Illustration Cupboard, some great artwork and John who owns the gallery will listen to sensibly priced offers, but lets face it, artwork by the mercurial genius that is Kev O'Neill don't come cheap!!!

Hope this helps

Trout

Spikes

Quote from: malak brood on 19 April, 2013, 05:41:23 PM
but from memory the Carlos stuff was included and was either 15 or 25% off.  Other artwork has been knocked down by 40% for a limited time period.

That's nice to know.
Even 15% off is a fairly decent amount, and would make these attractive to potential buyers (me included!). I dare say if you was to ask, then that saving would be accepted, even if a sale wasnt on?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Trout on 19 April, 2013, 05:47:20 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 19 April, 2013, 11:08:24 AM
going forward

Oh, Colin. I respected you.

Forward going ... going onwards... oh I don't know, is there meant to be a comma in there...

...is it the management speakness of it? I've been a manager for 9 years now, it was going to happen.

WHAT HAVE I DONE TO WRONG YOU OUR SEEMINGLY DEPOSED HIGHNESS....

... I throw myself at your fishy mercy...

malak brood

Sideshow Bob

Forward going ... going onwards... oh I don't know, is there meant to be a comma in there...

...is it the management speakness of it? I've been a manager for 9 years now, it was going to happen.

Yep !!, I think it's the management speakness of it Colin.... :lol:
Great article by the way Malak Brood, thanks for the link....Really enjoyed it... :)
Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

W. R. Logan