Main Menu

Ebay watch.

Started by maryanddavid, 14 May, 2012, 12:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

£1800 now! I tried to convince myself that up to a grand may be a decent investment but I'd probably chicken out as there is probably a box of 50 lying somewhere waiting to be discovered. I wouldn't be surprised if this send a few more punters into their attics. Anyway £2k is madness - you could get a full run of 2000ad for that!

Spikes

Yes, 2K is madness (and still time left on the clock) but if I had the funds spare, i'd be sorely tempted.

I did throw a good few bids at this, and was even in the lead on several occasions, but alas I must now go back to day-dreaming that no-one else had seen this, and so I won it for next to nowt...  :)

Quote from: EddieHitler on 25 May, 2015, 12:22:38 PM
I'm sure the people who were on the 'print run' or involved in the pulping of the comic must of helped themselves to a few issues?  Though how many survived as interest waned and the years went by and in what condition they are now can only be guessed at.

I think this is closer to the truth, or at least makes more sense to me, as we'll probably never know how many copies still exist. But I doubt a multitude of these will now start appearing..

maryanddavid

I know of at least one, and possibly another, and 2k is mental!

EddieHitler

I must admit I have been a bit stressed about this lot on eBay because there are not many things in life I really would like at this moment in time (I may be slightly exaggerating at this point) but could I justify making a bid on it, this was when it was about £600 but now as it stands I am just going to have to sulk.  I have the money but I cannot justify spending that sort of money on a comic or any comic!  So I bought a three pieces of art work from Silver Acre who just happened to be selling them from the pre December run of Action for a reasonable price (Hell's Highway).  Okay not the most gripping of stories but I like the art work. :)

Spikes

£2,150 now, and four days left to run...

I know what you mean, Eddie. It's a whole lot of money, isnt it. And I cant justify spending that amount either. I'd have gone close (+/-) to a grand on this, but the big hitters are in play now...

Just a thought; I wonder if Darryl from Silveracre is chasing this? That money for the Hell's Highway pages will come in handy, if so!  ;)

And Hell's Highway was a great tale. And even greater art. I'd given thought to snagging those pages, and kinda wish I had now.

EddieHitler

Funny enough I had been umming and arring for a bit whether or not to buy those three pieces just like you.  One of the pages looks like it has had the original panel overlaid with a re-drawn piece but I could be wrong so I will have to wait until it arrives.

I finally snapped when I realised I would not be making a bid for the 'Action' and so put an offer in for all three pages which was kindly accepted by Darryl.

Apparently he's on holiday as from Tuesday so who knows lol.

Greg M.

Quote from: EddieHitler on 27 May, 2015, 05:54:49 PM
One of the pages looks like it has had the original panel overlaid with a re-drawn piece but I could be wrong so I will have to wait until it arrives.

You may well be right - I've got a few Hell's Highway pages and one of 'em has had a lot of work done to try and make it less overtly violent. (Drawn pre-ban, published post.) It's still bloody violent though!

EddieHitler

Hi Greg

Just checked as best I can but it appears that the artist (Mike White I believe was credited for all the run though I have read somewhere else there may have been one other artist) has cut out a lot of his artwork in strip form, maybe he did not always draw straight onto board (sorry these may not be the correct technical terms) and pasted it on. 

One page looks like he's cut and pasted it all! 

Again I will have to wait until they arrive.

Tjm86

Speaking of bonkers pricing, what is going on with the banned episodes lately.  I picked up the first two last year for less than a tenner, they are not going for over £20 in mediocre condition, never mind good nick.  This one however has to be scatty:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000ad-prog-77-GREAT-CONDITION-BANNED-COPY-/151688667336?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item23515960c8

Fungus

Quote from: Tjm86 on 29 May, 2015, 05:43:09 PM
Speaking of bonkers pricing, what is going on with the banned episodes lately.  I picked up the first two last year for less than a tenner, they are not going for over £20 in mediocre condition, never mind good nick.  This one however has to be scatty:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000ad-prog-77-GREAT-CONDITION-BANNED-COPY-/151688667336?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item23515960c8

Has to be the Hachette effect ?
(So, lapsed readers have a shiny hardback yet are still missing episodes)

Nice condition, too.

Tjm86

Could well be.  Yes it is in pretty good condition but 100% + premium on recent sales?  Methinks someone is not thinking too clearly.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Tjm86 on 29 May, 2015, 06:51:05 PM
100% + premium on recent sales?  Methinks someone is not thinking too clearly.

I don't understand what this means?

I just shuddered when I aw that back page scan - I remember meticulously cutting up several progs and gluing them to card  to make a shit game that i could never persuade anyone to play more than once.

sheridan

Quote from: Spikes on 26 May, 2015, 08:51:07 PM
Yes, 2K is madness (and still time left on the clock) but if I had the funds spare, i'd be sorely tempted.

I did throw a good few bids at this, and was even in the lead on several occasions, but alas I must now go back to day-dreaming that no-one else had seen this, and so I won it for next to nowt...  :)

Quote from: EddieHitler on 25 May, 2015, 12:22:38 PM
I'm sure the people who were on the 'print run' or involved in the pulping of the comic must of helped themselves to a few issues?  Though how many survived as interest waned and the years went by and in what condition they are now can only be guessed at.

I think this is closer to the truth, or at least makes more sense to me, as we'll probably never know how many copies still exist. But I doubt a multitude of these will now start appearing..

Were any copies pulped?  I thought there were 30 copies printed for editorial review, but that the actual run never went ahead (i.e. nothing to pulp other than the preview copies).

p.s. did anyone else notice a reader's contribution from a Richard Bruton of Birmingham?

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 30 May, 2015, 12:54:33 AM
Quote from: Tjm86 on 29 May, 2015, 06:51:05 PM
100% + premium on recent sales?  Methinks someone is not thinking too clearly.

I don't understand what this means?

I just shuddered when I aw that back page scan - I remember meticulously cutting up several progs and gluing them to card  to make a shit game that i could never persuade anyone to play more than once.
It means that the linked auction is currently twice the price of recent sales.  I notice the initial bid was 99p, the second was £10 and it's risen from then onwards.  I think it's about time I bought some backing boards for my copies!

Spikes

Quote from: sheridan on 30 May, 2015, 01:11:45 PM
Were any copies pulped?  I thought there were 30 copies printed for editorial review, but that the actual run never went ahead (i.e. nothing to pulp other than the preview copies).

Apparently, yes. A full print run - barring those comp copies, was pulped.