Main Menu

Dredd 2D

Started by jackstarr, 07 September, 2012, 05:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackstarr

It seems that pretty much everywhere is only showing Dredd in 3D.

There are a few exceptions where it's showing in 2D, but I'm in the south-east (Kent/London borders) and I can't find it in 2D anywhere remotely near me.

I'm unable to view passive 3D due to my eyesight (active 3D works fine) - surely I'm not going to have to wait until it's out on Blu-Ray before I'll be able to see it?

Albion

There really should be more 2D screenings.
It's being shown in 2D in Crawley but being on the Kent side of London rather than Sussex I guess that might be a bit far for you.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

radiator

jackstarr

Thanks for the info - Crawley does appear to be the closest, and is a heck of a lot closer than the other locations I'd seen it for...but getting there and back would be a bit of a trek!

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

If you drive it should be ok - round the M25, down the M23 and off to the Crawley Leisure Park (free parking).

Even at Crawley most of the showings are 3D though. I saw it there and had to go 3D against my wishes.

Nothing doing in Central London?

BPP

Have a weekend in Belfast, weirdly more 2D than 3D showings.

Might be because they don't get away with charging a premium for it over here. Dredd 3D will be 3 quid for the next few Tuesdays. 6 quid other days.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

MattJW

I have emailed both Odeon and Cineworld in Birmingham, regarding a total absence of 2D showings there. I have received this reply from the Odeon (check out the dodgy spelling and grammar!). My email is underneath:

Dear Matthew,

Thank you for your email.

Please except my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

We can only screen what is made available to us from the film distributors.

Some cinemas have priority over 2D formats of any 3D film because they do not facilitate a 3D projector.

Please visit our website frequently if DREDD 2D is confirmed it will be advertised on our webpage and made bookable.

Again please except my apologies for any inconvenience caused. 

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to email us again or call 0871 22 44 007* between 11am and 8pm.

Regards,

Luisa
ODEON Guest Services

On Sun, 09 Sep 2012, mattw_spacelovetime@yahoo.com wrote:

With regards to the film 'Dredd', I am disappointed to see that there are no 2D showings in Birmingham - only 3D. I am aware that some 2D screenings are taking place elsewhere in the UK. I know of people who do not enjoy 3D at all, and who would appreciate the option of seeing it in 2D. Some of them have now changed their minds about seeing this movie! Is there any chance at all of you showing it in 2D, please?

Matthew Waterhouse

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 09 September, 2012, 07:12:47 PMEven at Crawley most of the showings are 3D though. I saw it there and had to go 3D against my wishes.
What's the Crawley Cineworld like? Is it a good cinema (nice enough seats, decent slope, so you don't end up watching someone's head)? I might be able to persuade Mrs G to go there, but she'd be mad if we did an hour's drive to a dump to see a film that's annoyed her due to the lack of 2D showings.

On cinemas, I've also had replies from Odeon and Vue. The former mirrored the one in this thread, saying they always try to show 2D and 3D, but sometimes this isn't possible for them to do. Vue initially said the film simply didn't exist in 2D and no-one was showing it that way; a latter apology/correct clarified Vue has no intention of showing 2D prints. Elsewhere, Showcase hasn't responded and Cineworld as confirmed it has "most of" the 2D prints, of which there appear to be about all of 30.

I had a quick to-and-fro with a sci-fi writer on Twitter, and he reckoned this is intentional, due to Dredd being a relatively low-budget flick and a 3D film, which is almost unheard of. This restricts the number of tracks it'll be shown on, but also forces it to maximise revenue per screen, hence 3D. Still, judging by Twitter and elsewhere, this might have backfired a bit, because a whole lot of people I know are now waiting for a rental copy instead of watching it at the cinema.

MattJW

I was actually meant to be seeing Dredd yesterday with a film enthusiast mate of mine. We'd been planning to see it together ever since it was first in production. When he found out all the showings were in 3D, he angrily changed his mind - he hates 3D!  :o He won't see it now unless a 2D screening turns up.  :'(

Well, I will now be seeing it next Saturday with someone else.....

Frank

Has anyone tried the Kermode trick of swapping the lenses round to turn a 3D image into a 2D one?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: bikini kill on 09 September, 2012, 08:54:11 PM
Has anyone tried the Kermode trick of swapping the lenses round to turn a 3D image into a 2D one?

That's not how it works. You need two pairs of 3D specs: you swap the lenses so that one pair has two lefts and the other has two rights; you then have two pairs of 2D specs.

If you only have sight in one eye (as a couple of people have brought up on various threads) then wearing a pair of 3D specs will make the film perfectly viewable. If you have a weak eye, or imbalanced eyes, the two left/ two right trick will work, as would simply covering one lens completely.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 September, 2012, 08:28:40 PM
[What's the Crawley Cineworld like? Is it a good cinema (nice enough seats, decent slope, so you don't end up watching someone's head)?

It's fine as far as multiplexes go, I had a comfortable seat with an unobstructed view (and that's more than I can say for the last time I was at the Odeon Leicester Square!).

Don't expect the lap of luxury though, it's in a "leisure park" next to a bowling alley.

JOE SOAP

Michaelvk

You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

adi

I think the would lose a lot of the epic camera shots in 2D, easily the best 3d movie ive seen. Even paying £18+ for two tickets it was worth a watch

the only thing is I'd love to see the movie again this week to take it all in but at the price of a 3D ticket i might as well wait for the blu ray.

i have a feeling due to that they might lose out on returning ticket sales which Avengers and Batman made the most of.