Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

The Lovely Bones.
(There might not be a 'the in the front'.)

Interesting, intriguing enough film, but it felt like it was trying too hard and wasn't as good as it thought it was. I usually gobble up supernatural stuff and (while I don't like to admit it) I can be pretty sentimental but this didn't quite work for me...

To be fair, the acting, characterisation and ideas were good. And I did miss a bit. My friend started washing up during the film, bless her heart, and the sploshy sounds meant I missed some of the dialogue. I don't think I missed anything of note though.

It may well warrant a rewatch though. I just thought they could have done more with the haunting concept and bit less of the grantedly spectacular, abstract flights of fancy stuff.* And made more use out of the psychic girl. Although to be fair, the film might appear a bit of a rip off of that film with Richard Gere and Whoopie Goldberg if they did that. (And it felt slightly weird that the girl looked way younger than her 'not quite boyfriend' although to be fair, at that age, kids mature quite fast and a couple of years can seem a lot.)

I was rather unsatisfied with the ending too. (Don't look if you haven't seen the ending: [spoiler]Did the ghost push him? Or did he just slip? I know she had possessed the psychic girl a bit before, but this bit was unclear to me.[/spoiler])

To be fair, I understand this film is based on a book and maybe all this was true to that story.

Hoagy

If only someone would write suprnatural like Kurt Vonnegut writes scifi. Then, I would indeed," gobble it up."
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

I, Cosh

Saw Never Let Me Go this evening. I think I might've liked it if it the whole experience hadn't been marred by a gaggle of twelve year olds up the back yapping and sniggering through every quiet moment. Of which there are a lot.

I don't think I'd've liked it at their age but, then, I probably wouldn't've gone to see it either.
Quote from: House of Usher on 10 February, 2011, 09:46:53 PM
Blue Valentine, this evening. Superb. Lovely, and very sad. No cheap sentimentality and manipulation, just truth.
Yeah. I saw this a couple of weeks ago and thought it was quite marvellous. Really stayed with me, but also led to some odd conversations with people who seemed determined to see it as one or the other's "fault."
We never really die.

Tiplodocus

Zombieland.

It runs out of steam very quickly.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Buttonman

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 12 February, 2011, 01:43:25 AM
Zombieland.

The Social Network - another Jesse Eisenberg effort and a lot better than the above. Compulsive viewing but they come across as such a horrible, greedy lot that your first instinct is to delete your Facebook account.

Justin Timberlake does well as the Napster guy who arrives late in the day to grab a piece, as he's the most repulsive, manipulating weasel you'll see this year.

Richmond Clements

District 9- at long last.
Very good indeed, and not at all the movie I expected. Well, I'm not sure what I expected, but it wasn't this.

radiator

I really liked Zombieland, though I agree that the first half is much better than the second.

Watched a bit of The Social Network recently, but got to admit that it didn't grab me at all - I just didn't find the story that interesting and it seemed too cinematic and stylised to be convincing as a true story.

They can try and make out all they want that the creation of facebook was this world-shaking event, but at the end of the day, facebook wasn't that original - it succeeded because it was like MySpace, but it looked nice so it appealed to adults. I can't help thinking that Zuckerberg, though obviously a smart guy, fluked it somewhat.

noodles

Michaelvk

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 12 February, 2011, 10:36:54 AM
Very good indeed, and not at all the movie I expected. Well, I'm not sure what I expected, but it wasn't this.

A lot of the same crew is, eh.. was on Dredd.. Just so you know..

Now,, Last movies watched: Muppets take Manhattan and Saving Private Ryan. In that order.
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

Misanthrope

Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

mogzilla

the empire strikes back...intersting film,i'd like to see a prequel of sorts charting that darth vaders early days .

Albion

I got Son of Rambow today for £3 in Tesco.
An enjoyable little film I thought.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Michaelvk on 12 February, 2011, 05:40:34 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 12 February, 2011, 10:36:54 AM

A lot of the same crew is, eh.. was on Dredd.. Just so you know..

Is it mainly the same producer, gaffers, grips, lighting, set construction or what else...?

Richmond Clements

Kingdom of Heaven directors cut- got it for £3 in Tesco. It is ridiculously epic.

Professor Bear

Yogi Bear.  Admittedly I was more distracted by Anna Faris' weight seeming to go up and down randomly during the film, but I still didn't think much of it.  Ackroyd was good as the voice of Yogi (though still clearly doing an impression of the voice from the cartoon shows), but the humans dragged the thing down by being center stage with their need for a "story" to hang their presence upon rather than the makers just doing 90 straight minutes of Yogi being a furry thieving bastard in 3d.
The CGI Yogi is pretty good, and the mix of CGI with live-action is seamless with only one back-projected bit on some rapids letting the side down.
But the kids loved it, and I imagine that's the main thing.