Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 25 August, 2012, 08:33:42 PM
Dredd being a c*nt...by Brendan McCarthy!   :lol:

Oo-oo-ooh! One of my favourite annual stories ever. The full page (watercolour?) image of Dredd being blasted from his bike in that strip seems to get (loosely) quoted by MacNeil, in an equivalent scene in America.

I think the work McCarthy/Ewins/Riot did on their annual story collaborations, and John Higgins's unbelievable Last of the Bad Guys in the same year's Dredd annual, must have been instrumental in convincing Tharg to accommodate painted art in the prog.

If you manage to get your hands on a page from that McCarthy annual story where Dredd gets dosed with a hallucinogen, I'll be properly jealous.

hippynumber1

If I ever found one of those splash pages I think they'd be well out of my price range! I know what you mean though, McCarthy painted (or otherwise) Dredd should be on everyone's want list. The colour and detail (wherever he decides to put a shoulder pad) are just incredible.

hippynumber1

If you'd like to see a better quality photo without the acetate overlay...

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=85288

ming

Always nice to see more McCarthy!  I noticed the comment about the Ewins / Riot credit on CAF; the more I look at this page the more it looks like Tony Riot but then I'm probably looking too hard!   :crazy:

She Devils is a great story (then again, I can't think of a McCarthy Dredd I don't love to bits) and I was tempted to jump at this one myself.  Only the probability of the wrong-shoulder-pad business driving me insane put me off... :D

Great page, anyway!

hippynumber1

It's a reverse angle looking in the mirror GRUDDAMNIT!  :lol:

Like I said on CAF, it's credited as McCarthy, Riot, Ewins but isn't clear on how the art chores were split which makes me think that they didn't all work on every page. If you flick through the story the Ewins bits are clear (to my eye anyway). That said, McCarthy could have pencilled, Ewins inked, Riot painted each page. Ultimately, there are only three people who really know! In the meantime, this looks pure McCarthy to me and I'm sticking to that!

Spikes

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 25 August, 2012, 08:33:42 PM
Dredd being a c*nt...by Brendan McCarthy!   :lol:

Nice one, Hip. Congrats. Is this a new purchase, or summat youve had a while?

hippynumber1

It's my latest - bought it from Arnie Koch in New York who seems like a jolly nice fellow! He has an ebay store: bwaycomicart. Not much 2000AD stuff but he does occasionally get a page in!

opaque

Got a few more to add to the Gallery (not that I can remember how to edit it!)

and

and

From Ebay

and

From Fatboydale

and from Wake is this gorgeous piece my wonderful girlfriend gave me for my birthday :)

Very happy with that Dean Ormston piece. Looks so much better in real life.
Although I have had to buy 5 seasons of Keeping up with the Kardashians as part of her birthday present in return!

hippynumber1

As long as you don't have to watch it with her, I'd say that's fair enough!  :o

ming

A lovely bit of work arrived from Mick McMahon today... A3 and completely fills the page; really makes an impact.  (I'll try and scan it properly soon, but I'm not used to dealing with pencils, so any tips would be appreciated.)

hippynumber1

That's gorgeous! Did Mike put this on his blog, I seem to remember seeing it somewhere before?

ming

I don't think it's been on the blog but it's similar to the pencils he showed for a commission earlier in the year.  There are a lot of small differences (subtle details like the badge and eagle designs as well as the main pose) and I bloody love it!

hippynumber1

Ah, that's probably it... The eagle shoulder pad is just amazing! Love it!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

Spikes

Sigh - tis a thing of real beauty. Mick's pencils are simply dynamite, arent they.
Really nice details throughout on this.

Im not jealous, not jealous at all. No Sir, not jealous one little bit...

im jealous,  ;)

Congrats David!