Main Menu

Dagobah Discs

Started by The Legendary Shark, 04 January, 2017, 07:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Desert Island Discs for nerds...

Failed to defeat the Emperor, you have, and into exile you must go! Those long, lonely, swampy nights on Dagobah you must pass, so bring 8 DVD box sets along you can. Complete collections of anything you can fit onto DVDs and a luxury item you may have. The question is, which 8 collections? And why? (Not a bad idea for a podcast but I don't have the facilities - if anyone else wants to make such a podcast, have at it - so I'll settle for a thread on here.)

My 8:

1) 2000AD, the complete collection of progs and specials to date. This is a no-brainer, really. Twoothy has run so many stories that perusing them over the years will never grow old.

2) The complete Star Trek, tv series and films. If ever being alone on Dagobah gets depressing, Trek always has the facility to inspire hope and remind me that success comes from hard work and smart thinking. Trek will remind me what it means to be human and, hopefully, forestall the day when I find myself running through frogspawn-infested swamp water in my pants with feathers tied to my ears.

3) Babylon 5. Every time I watch this series I appreciate it anew, and often afresh. Sure, the effects are a bit antwacky by today's standards and it promotes the idea of statism (on a galactic scale, gah!) but I love the characters and the story.

4) Firefly. A small box set, but I'm including the film as well and it's a quality show all the way. I can see this one being my annual birthday treat.

5) Farscape. At some point I reckon the solitude might threaten to drive me a little crazy, and so the mad genius which is Farscape will be perfect for such times. I'll be able to watch it while I'm spooning frogspawn out of my underpants.

6) All the Marvel films - even the crap ones. Excitement, adventure, humour, fantasy - and the good guys always win in the end. Might inspire me not to give up when the knob finally falls off my rusty lightsaber and rolls into the swamp.

7) The complete Monty Python. I'm going to need a good laugh at some stage and the Pythons are just the folk for the job.

8) The complete journeys of Michael Palin. To remind me how special the planet Earth and its people really are.

Everyone gets the complete works of Arthur C. Clark and the complete Dr Who (whether you want them or not) and one luxury item. My luxury item would be a shedful of pens and pads - because I'll need to be able to write and sketch; it's the best method I know for both passing the time and calming my nerves.

Over to you, oh acolytes of the blessed nerdy-gurdy!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Link Prime

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 04 January, 2017, 07:04:00 PM

5) Farscape. At some point I reckon the solitude might threaten to drive me a little crazy, and so the mad genius which is Farscape will be perfect for such times. I'll be able to watch it while I'm spooning frogspawn out of my underpants. sipping moonshine, scrawling wormhole equations over the furniture and listening to the 1812 overture on loop.

Fixed that for you Sharky.

The Legendary Shark

No, no, no - because I'll no doubt be imagining using Officer Sun's spoon...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 04 January, 2017, 07:04:00 PM
Over to you, oh acolytes of the blessed nerdy-gurdy!

Alarmingly, other than my luke-warm-ness on Star Trek, I wouldn't disagree with any of those individual choices!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

ITEOTWAWKI! Run for the hills!

You don't know how much it warms me to know that there are some things (important things too, not silly old politics) we can agree on. Looks like 2017 might be a good year after all!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

I'd change the Bible/Shakespeare stand-ins to the complete 2000AD and Doctor Who (or if it has to be an SF author, HG Wells instead of Arthur C Clarke, even if the latter was published in a Sci-Fi Special once).

The Legendary Shark

Yes, I'll go for that. Much better idea. Twoothy & Who it is!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]