Main Menu

how to do a prog slog

Started by sheridan, 22 May, 2015, 09:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Thanks for the votes of confidence!

Prog 64: Watch the Sky! UFO – reader's report

The last episode of M.A.C.H.1!  A new sci-fi comic out, on the same day as Prog 64!

sheridan

It would have made more sense if I'd posted the Prog 64 link in the same post as the Star Lord No 1 link.  Watch the Stars, child soldiers!  In other news, the first appearances of great duos Johnny and Wulf, and ro-Jaws and Hammerstein!

Prog 65: Wuuuuuuuurgh! Zero is Back!
Other than the obvious, Dave Gibbons gets to practice drawing giant alien tentacles.  Also, the return of the  third ever set of villains we saw Dredd face.  Also also - one parody of Evel Knieval [spoiler]dies[/spoiler], but don't worry, there'll be another along in a different strip by the end of the comic.

sheridan

Prog 65 was originally published on the same day as:

Star Lord Issue 2: You'll never be the same after reading it!

Mind Wars starts and a few long-running elements in Strontium Dog and Ro-Busters are introduced.

sheridan

On the same day the following were published:
Prog 66: I think I smell a rat!

Dave Gibbons draws huge tentacled aliens, I can't tell the different between Death Planet of the Damned and Massimo Belardinelli appears in the crowd of Inferno.

Star Lord No. 3: Fight your own Star Battles

I take extra care not to confused the tale of people stranded on a deadly planet with other stories that are tales of people stranded on deadly planets, Dave Gibbons moonlights on Ro-Busters as well as this week's Dan Dare and a* gronk appears.

* not the Gronk, you understand...

sheridan

Cover date: 3 June 78 (so on the shelves the week before that):

Prog 67: MACH Zero in... Darts of Death!

Walter returns!  Oh joy!  Though the even bigger news is the appearance of a certain President of the United States...

Star Lord No 4: Inside! Part One of a mind-stretching sci-fi game! It stars Strontium Dog... it's called Hell Planet... it's not for cowards!

The Nazi issue!  Whether you're in on a hostile planet in another dimension or Golders Green, you can't escape time or space Nazis!

sheridan

Prog 68: Ssssssssss Clay, now you're gonna... DIE just like A...Artie!

MACH Zero goes all Dickensian, Walter ends, Dredd saves President Robert L Booth's life (Smooth Booth in this story, not Bad Bob Booth).

Star Lord No 5: This is gonna be a bad one, Hammer-Stein!

Is Doctor Varn from Star Lord's Mind Wars related to Lorna Varn from 2000AD's Death Planet?  After these two stories end, will there be any more of the Varn family in the pages of 2000AD, Star Lord or related publications?
Questions like these won't be answered in my blog post (or anywhere).

sheridan

sheridan

Prog 71: Are YOU Prepared for... Ant Wars!

It's all about the food - eating ants, throwing mousse-covered pieces of cardboard at each other and don't forget the burgers!

Star Lord No 8: Nazi World 2478 A.D. Time Control 85 Million B.C. Torn between impossible worlds...

Klee-Fang eats some fish, but Starlord is the comic to go to for Nazis!  Also the beginning of the three-parter SD story mentioned in the latest Space Spinner 2000 podcast (because it was reprinted in a special).

sheridan

All these came out on the same day...

Prog 72: Introducing... the 180 lb Judge Burger!
MACH Zero does the impression of Samson, Dredd goes to MacDonald City and Inferno enters a time slip.  Plus Dave Gibbons brings us the Green Cross Code Man.  Tharg starts plugging Star Lord.

Star Lord No 9: Beware the war droid in Kill-Frenzy! You have the fire power of a cruiser, Hammer-Stein! – use it – destroy your comrade Ro-Jaws!
The Jugla go to Miami.  Wulf and Johnny are in a Jox trap.  As opposed to a jockstrap.  Starlord starts plugging 2000AD.

2000AD Sci-Fi Special 1978
Gary Leach, Kevin O'Neill, Trev Goring and 'Space Chicks' - really hope that last one was forced in by management.  Rick Random was better than I was expecting/remembering - but y'know, the bar was low on that one.

sheridan

By the way - I'm really dreading certain days in 1979 and 1980 - the publication of 2000AD annuals before they got good, Tornado annuals and Starlord Annuals, but at least 1980 will have the Judge Dredd annual 1981...

SpaceSpinner2000

These early specials and annuals are...not great. Don't forget the 79 and 80 Dan Dare annuals, they have 2000AD content!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 22 July, 2019, 01:36:38 AM
These early specials and annuals are...not great. Don't forget the 79 and 80 Dan Dare annuals, they have 2000AD content!

If only I could!  They're all on my shelf, don't worry.

"Wind resistance"

TordelBack

Sheridan lad, this slog is absolutely bitchin', or whatever it is the kids say these days.  Keep it up!

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 22 July, 2019, 10:56:09 AM
Sheridan lad, this slog is absolutely bitchin', or whatever it is the kids say these days.  Keep it up!

Thanks - luckily wordpress lets me see how many people are viewing it each day, so I know lack of commentary doesn't mean lack of interest :-)