Main Menu

'Concrete'

Started by bigjobs67, 31 January, 2012, 01:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spikes

Thats interesting, your friend worked on Concrete?
Im ok with the whole origin story, though i can see how the [spoiler]alien[/spoiler] aspect of it, is at odds with the real world tone of the comic.

Michael V. Bramley

I think so - he worked in Dark Horse editorial at the time, but may not have been directly linked to the book.

TordelBack

I think the origin story is pretty spiffing - I'd love to find out what actually happened to [spoiler]Michael, and I thought the idea of the Deer and the Bear[/spoiler] was great.  I agree it's more fantastical than the rest of the series, but if you're going to entomb your lead's brain in a flexible concrete shell, you need some way to do it - the [spoiler]government cyborg[/spoiler] cover story is even less plausible.  There's a real sense of horror to that whole sequence which Chadwick keeps returning to - for example, I love the bit in Nepal [spoiler]where Concrete slips unknowingly into a dream and thinks he sees a light in another cavemouth, revealed to be  filled with clockwork versions of his friends, and even his dog[/spoiler].

Michael V. Bramley

Well, I've yet to read it myself, but the word I heard was that the origin was so obvious that telling it was pointless.

TordelBack

'Sa point of view, I suppose.

Michael V. Bramley

Yeah. You know, I'm not sure why I'm defending it; I'm not even sure if I share it yet. ;)

bigjobs67

Read it! loved it! Now me gonna get some 'Flamin Carrot'
'Overwhelming, I'm I not!

Spikes

Good stuff, glad you liked Concrete. What trades etc did you to manage to get hold of?
Despite being a Dark Horse nut in the early 90's i never got round to reading any Flamin' Carrot at all, might have to join you in tracking some down.

bigjobs67

Your on 'Jack'. Gonna do a search now and buy me some.

bigjobs67

Didn't get into 'Dark Horse' stuff that much to be honest 'Jack'. Collected stuff like 'Plastic Forks' by Ted Mckeever in the 90's and loved 'Rank Xerox'.
Loved the artwork on that.
Ted did this little stand alone story one time which was a POV style thing about Superman.
I always thought it was dead clever.
Do you know it?

Spikes

No, not familar with those titles, nor Ted McKeever, well not to any great degree. Ill do a bit o' googling and check them out.
Got into Dark Horse in a big way in the very late 80's because of their Aliens and Predator stuff. Those early stories are brilliant. Love Chris Warners art on Predator and Blackcross.
That got me checking out other DH stuff which lead to Concrete, Martha Washington, JB's Nextmen etc.
Think DH got it so right in those early years.

bigjobs67

You know I told a lie! I forgot the 'Martha Whasigton' Stuff was by 'Dark Horse'.
Got them.
Loved Gibbson on that.
All gets proper wacky towards the end though I thought.
Frank Miller isn't it?
Think I may be missing one or two of those though.
Pretty much got the full run.
Got into the original 'DeathLock' stuff ages ago too.
Never completed my collection but loved that it's set in some f##ked up future with at one point a blonde haired 'Messiah' lookin terminator style killin cyborg sent in to finish 'Deathlock' off.
Bonkers.
Well worth checkin out.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: bigjobs67 on 10 February, 2012, 09:50:05 PM
Read it! loved it! Now me gonna get some 'Flamin Carrot'
You won't regret it.

bigjobs67

Colin. 'Braap. Braap'. :D :) Me on it!!

Spikes

Bit of self pimpage here, but i thought this thread would be the best place to post this,

Really happy to have received this today. Paul Chadwick doesnt sell a lot of his published art, so really glad to have snagged this cover for Dark Horse Present #12 (1987).