Main Menu

A 2000ad Event in the North West!!!

Started by The Sherman Kid, 30 January, 2012, 07:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Sherman Kid

With the 35th Anniversary coming up and being held in north wales (?) ,I am just trying to remember any 2000ad event that has been held in the north west of england.Most events seem to be set right down south.When was the last time there was 2000ad event in the north west?

Time for a 2000ad Event in the North West please. :thumbsup:

COMMANDO FORCES

You'll have to organise one at your local comic shop  ;)

Dandontdare

The Lass O'Gowrie pub in Manchester often has geeky events. I didn't make it unfortunately to the recent revival of "Ballad of Halo Jones - the stage play", but I did make it to an enjoyable Q&A talk with Al Ewing a few months back.

Convention-wise, the MCM Manchester expo was a disappointment - overcrowded with very little comic content, and almost nothing 2000ad related.

bigjobs67

I'm in London for a few days @ the beginning of April (7th til 11th).Anybody know of anything happening then that I could maybe check out?
'Overwhelming, I'm I not!

bigjobs67

'Overwhelming, I'm I not!

The Sherman Kid

Anyway.......back to my original thread.

Can anyone from the powers that be give any hint as to when us poor souls in the north west will be graced by their prescence?Many thanks

Emperor

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 01 February, 2012, 12:55:55 PM

Anyway.......back to my original thread.

Can anyone from the powers that be give any hint as to when us poor souls in the north west will be graced by their prescence?Many thanks

But, as you said in the original post, we basically just had one. With Carlos Ezquerra and John Wagner - it doesn't get much bigger than that!!

I'm afraid, as far as comics conventions go it is going to be either Thoughtbubble or Brum.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

The Sherman Kid

'Just had one'?????????????
That was WALES!!!
Is everything north of Milton Keynes just 'the north' to you southsiders.

Come to the North West.

Have you EVER had a 2000ad comic convention in the north west?

35 years is a long time to wait.I'm sure you'll get a great reception. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Emperor

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 09 February, 2012, 12:38:05 AM
'Just had one'?????????????
That was WALES!!!
Is everything north of Milton Keynes just 'the north' to you southsiders.

#cough# I'm in Liverpool and Prestatyn is about as close as Manchester, where the Lass O'Gowrie has been putting on 2000AD-related vents. Depending on where in the NW you are Thoughtbubble or Brum aren't that far away and they will have representatives. So there are plenty of things within striking distance.

However, as Mr Huff says - if there is nothing that fits the bill then put one on yourself. There are plenty of droids and 2000AD fans in the area, in fact isn't Pat Mills coming to Liverpool to teach a graphic novel writing course at some point?
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Noisybast

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

The Sherman Kid

From the north eh? :-[ Erhem, ..up the Reds.
Anyhow...
If you are based in Liverpool ,Prestatyn isn't too bad to get to, for most others though it's a long way.
Wouldnt know where to start regarding puttting anything on myself, the main point would be getting a lot of the creative team together which would be no mean feat.
I just noticed in the latest 2000ad editors note that this year will see 2000ad events around the UK
#What are these?Which are in the north?
#What is thoughtbubble and Brum -no idea what you mean.

many thanks

The Sherman Kid

Found thought bubble online -LOT of 2000ad creators there last year.Pity I missed it, wasnt even aware of it.

dracula1

Highly recommend Thought Bubble Sherman.  l've been to loads of events o'er the years but this one takes some beating.

Emperor

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 09 February, 2012, 05:35:14 PMFrom the north eh? :-[ Erhem, ..up the Reds.

I'm not a footie fan - not something that is easy to own up to in Liverpool (well it is easy, no one believes you).

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 09 February, 2012, 05:35:14 PMAnyhow...
If you are based in Liverpool ,Prestatyn isn't too bad to get to, for most others though it's a long way.

And the further away you are the easier it is to get to Leeds or Birmingham, we are partly cursed in the NW by having such good transport links with the rest of the country ;)

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 09 February, 2012, 05:35:14 PMWouldnt know where to start regarding puttting anything on myself, the main point would be getting a lot of the creative team together which would be no mean feat.

Well you could start with the local comics creators - John Smith is out there in darkest Lancashire and could possibly be lured out with a trail of Creme Eggs (or beer, yes possibly beer) and there are other creators from these parts (even if some have now moved): Carl Critchlow, Lee Carter, John Higgins, Mike Carey, John Reppion/Leah Moore, as well as Pat when he is doing that course. Someone else would be able to have a decent stab at working out who leaves within striking distance. There are also a few small pressers around:

www.squareeyedstories.co.uk
www.favouritecrayon.co.uk
www.bahala-na.co.uk
www.bugmonkey.50megs.com

Some Liverpool comics convention ideas:

www.reddit.com/r/Liverpool/comments/lehle/liverpool_comic_con/

So not much there.

There has been a thing or two over the years:
http://comicsnation.blogspot.com/2005/08/last-minute-additions.html

Ian Hering's Comics Workshop at Liverpool Community College, seems to have created a core of comics creators in the city and perhaps Pat's course might make more.

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 09 February, 2012, 05:35:14 PMI just noticed in the latest 2000ad editors note that this year will see 2000ad events around the UK
#What are these?Which are in the north?

Molch-R will be able to give more details but I think it is similar to last year - Thoughtbubble.

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 09 February, 2012, 05:35:14 PM#What is thoughtbubble and Brum -no idea what you mean.

Thoughtbubble is the Leeds comics convention and is turning into the big comics convention up north:
http://thoughtbubblefestival.com

The Birmingham one was reduced to one day last year, not sure what the score is this year:
http://www.thecomicsshow.co.uk/uk-comicon/