Main Menu

The Smiling Dredd archive

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 19 October, 2016, 12:02:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Also there's that scene by John Higgins in Tour of Duty when someone tells Dredd that Sinfield is dying, and there's a sort of ambiguous expression which might or might not be a smile.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 25 October, 2016, 02:22:07 PM
I forgot about that one!  That was during Alan Grant's weed-obsession phase; and was a not-very-good story featuring a stoned Dredd giggling uncontrollably throughout. 

Except, of course, it wasn't.  That was a different one, which I can't find in my Megs for the life of me.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

morpheas

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 30 October, 2016, 08:41:27 AM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 25 October, 2016, 02:22:07 PM
I forgot about that one!  That was during Alan Grant's weed-obsession phase; and was a not-very-good story featuring a stoned Dredd giggling uncontrollably throughout. 

Except, of course, it wasn't.  That was a different one, which I can't find in my Megs for the life of me.

Leaves of Grass, Vol 4 (Oct 2001)- Issue 3

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Richard

Also I think he grins at America in the first episode of America when he's being sarcastic and mean to her.

morpheas

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 30 October, 2016, 10:30:00 AM
Once again - thanks, Morpheas!

You are welcome JBC. I was also curious about this story.

morpheas

Quote from: Richard on 30 October, 2016, 11:01:37 AM
Also I think he grins at America in the first episode of America when he's being sarcastic and mean to her.

Yes, but is it Dredd, or rather an other Judge? I remember that you can't see the badge.

Frank

The speech patterns of that character don't match Dredd, neither do the gloating tone nor the broad, toothy grin. The page following that scene, where Dredd describes his preferred method of putting the fear of Grud into juves as fixing them with a silent stare is much more in character:

http://i.imgur.com/PKZdOk7.png

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Frank on 30 October, 2016, 11:33:34 AM
The speech patterns of that character don't match Dredd, neither do the gloating tone nor the broad, toothy grin. The page following that scene, where Dredd describes his preferred method of putting the fear of Grud into juves as fixing them with a silent stare is much more in character:

Yeah, I never once thought that first judge in America was meant to be Dredd. Doesn't sound or act much like him, and there's no mention of that encoounter when he meets Beeney and America years later.
@jamesfeistdraws

morpheas

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 30 October, 2016, 11:36:19 AM
Quote from: Frank on 30 October, 2016, 11:33:34 AM

Yeah, I never once thought that first judge in America was meant to be Dredd. Doesn't sound or act much like him, and there's no mention of that encoounter when he meets Beeney and America years later.

I wasn't sure about it, thanks for that guys.

Mardroid

Quote from: morpheas on 30 October, 2016, 11:07:54 AM

Yes, but is it Dredd, or rather an other Judge? I remember that you can't see the badge.

I always took that to be another judge. In fact I'm sure of it.

I tend to see Dredd as a strict hardliner, ruthless in his deliverance of the Law, yet not cruel for the sake of it, and not sadistic, although some creators might depict him that way. And while I'm not one to cherry pick my personal canon (as far as I'm concerned, if it's in the Prog or Meg it's canon) I like to think that those times Dredd is depicted too out of character are second hand tales that grew in the telling. I.e. the basic events happened, but maybe we're viewing them through the exaggerated lens of a bitter citizen. I might have contradicted myself concerning personal canon there....

Leigh S

Quote from: Mardroid on 30 October, 2016, 02:04:33 PM
Quote from: morpheas on 30 October, 2016, 11:07:54 AM

I always took that to be another judge. In fact I'm sure of it.

I tend to see Dredd as a strict hardliner, ruthless in his deliverance of the Law, yet not cruel for the sake of it, and not sadistic, although some creators might depict him that way. And while I'm not one to cherry pick my personal canon (as far as I'm concerned, if it's in the Prog or Meg it's canon) I like to think that those times Dredd is depicted too out of character are second hand tales that grew in the telling. I.e. the basic events happened, but maybe we're viewing them through the exaggerated lens of a bitter citizen. I might have contradicted myself concerning personal canon there....

Yes, it is another Judge as far as I have ever interpreted it.  The manner is all wrong for Dredd and actually does give you an insight into why we love Dredd as a character - if that had been Dredd, there would have been a trail of little broken heads as he tracked down the bullies! And if it had been Dredd, maybe America might have seen some good in/ point of the system?

Richard