Main Menu

...NEW DR WHO TONIGHT, 05/04/08, 6.20pm, Partners in Crime...

Started by ARRISARRIS, 05 April, 2008, 06:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Adventurer

Tonights episode was ok. Serviceable really, which honestly is par for course for season openers in New Who. Generally New Who follows this formula; Ok Opening introducing latest changes (new companion/new Doctor), good to fantastic middle of season episodes with a duffer or two throw in, and ending in a season ending dues ex machina fest.

Its still a good show, though to be fair this season its going up against Battlestar Galacica for my attention and there's no way it can compete with that.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Peter Wolf

"I think the music is massively overblown regardless of what you're watching it on."

Thats what i was trying to say about the music.Overblown.I think its RTDs sense of the dramatic.I miss BBC radiophonic workshop sound effects burbling away in the background.

"No one else could make that script work , no one .It proves i am a genius !! I can make the unbelievable believable ! Just look at the ratings !!" - RTD.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

SamuelAWilkinson

except the dinosaurs stalking the streets, the shop dummies coming to life, the daffodils killing people, the lochness monster in the thames, the cybermen coming out of London sewers...

I'm not saying ordinary folk were never involved, just that it wasn't on the fucking telly every week.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

satchmo

I really enjoyed it, a great start to the new season. I've got high hopes for the Doctor/ Donna relationship after seeing that. She doesn't exactly think he's a dick, but she doesn't think the sun shines out of his arse like Rose and Martha do either. I hope theres a lot more Cribbins throughout the series!
Loved the 28 days later music when Rose made her surprise appearance. I might even watch the repeat on BBC3 tonight!

The Verity Lambert documentary on BBC4 was great, well worth a watch if it's on the iPlayer, or no doubt it's on again dozens of times in the next month!

Dark Jimbo

except the dinosaurs stalking the streets, the shop dummies coming to life, the daffodils killing people, the lochness monster in the thames, the cybermen coming out of London sewers...

I'm not saying ordinary folk were never involved, just that it wasn't on the fucking telly every week.

Yeah, I always got the impression that UNIT or something else went round afterward 'persauding' people they hadn't seen anything - like the Men in Black of their day.

It would get in the way of normal society a bit if they said, 'Hey, guess what? This limitless universe of ours turns out to be absolutely teeming with alien races, almost every one of them inimical to human life. We're being invaded virtually every other week, and it's only a matter of time before we're wiped off the face of the earth. Good news, eh?'

But RTD has ignored this logic presumably because he thinks it's hilarious to instead keep having his 'christmas invasion' running jokes and alien cameos on Eastenders.
@jamesfeistdraws

Adrian Bamforth

Don't go pulling on that thread...

Ace: "If there had been an invasion in 1963 I would have heard about it".

Doctor: "Do you remember the Zygon gambit with the Loch Ness Monster? Or the Yeti in the underground? Your species has an amazing capacity for self deception".

(From Remeberence of The Daleks)

scutfink

Hmmmmmm, is RTD's tendency to televise every little  Dalek/ Cyberman war and Titanic divebombing Buck house, not more in keeping with todays media saturated culture, where one or two more raindrops than usual in Oxford is caus for 24hr rolling panic?

Perhaps if the Sontarans invade somewhere north of the home counties it'll slip under the radar...

Floyd-the-k

Mr Bamforth - that's an early nominee for funniest thing ever posted on this board. Well done!

yours eagerly awaiting more new Who episodes

TordelBack

mmmmmm, is RTD's tendency to televise every little Dalek/ Cyberman war and Titanic divebombing Buck house, not more in keeping with todays media saturated culture

I have to agree with that.  I don't like it, because I think it distances the Doctor from 'our' world, and the contemporary grounding is very much part of the show, but it's true.

SamuelAWilkinson

mmmmmm, is RTD's tendency to televise every little Dalek/ Cyberman war and Titanic divebombing Buck house, not more in keeping with todays media saturated culture

They are, and I've no doubt that if daleks and cybermen actually did have a big punch-up in Canary Wharf, we'd get wise. But they don't have to, what with this being the telly, and it's a sign of fucking lazy writing that he thinks we'll only care about what goes on if it's on contemporary Earth and Joe Normal's involved in some way.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

VisibleMan

You can extend that bingo card...!

| Comedy fat
| people and/or
| "tummy troubles"
|
|----------
|
| Doctor suddenly
| seems a bit thick
| or reckless
|
|----------
|
| Parents are
| annoying or
| prejudiced
|
|-----------
|
| Aliens/
| monsters don't
| like the
| countryside
|

Buddy

Dire stuff, pretty much what I expected from RTD.

Leigh S

Buddy

House of Usher

What about adding to the bingo card: "The Doctor or his assistants accidentally cause a few easily avoidable additional casualties, and don't notice or just shrug it off"?
STRIKE !!!