Main Menu

Universal's Dark Universe

Started by Andy Lambert, 24 May, 2017, 11:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smith

Quote from: CalHab on 25 May, 2017, 01:40:24 PM
I saw the trailer for The Mummy and it didn't appeal, to be honest. I think I'll miss the B-movie charm and humour of Brendan Fraser.
I think we will all miss that.  :(

von Boom

Quote from: Smith on 25 May, 2017, 02:29:18 PM
Quote from: CalHab on 25 May, 2017, 01:40:24 PM
I saw the trailer for The Mummy and it didn't appeal, to be honest. I think I'll miss the B-movie charm and humour of Brendan Fraser.
I think we will all miss that.  :(

And Rachel Weisz.

Smith

Im just getting the feeling they are taking themselves a bit too seriously.

Andy Lambert

ABCwarBOT

They made a good Dracula flick (Dracula Untold) but because that didn't get the number 1 spot or whatever and make quite as much money as they wanted they're now making the usual shit with actors like Tom Cruise and Depp.   

I haven't got much hope for these.

ABCwarBOT

And the 2010 Wolfman was pretty good too.  I'd love to know who these twatty critics are who give decent movies a slating.  Dracula Untold wasn't perfect but it was still a good film also. 

Smith

So far the reviews for the Mummy seem to be...not all that great.Mostly the verdict is: meh.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

I doubt very much there's an appetite for new entries in the Universal Monsters series.

The Hammer versions of the same characters were much better anyway. Let's have those back instead.

(I also liked Dracula Untold, though. More like that would be fine).

Supreme Pizza Of The DPRK

Trouble is Hollywood these days is full of pretty boys.

Cushing....Price....Lorre....Lee....now there are some actors that didn't need CG to scare you. I'm all for remaking classic horror films but you need to cast quality actors in the roles, not pretty boys.

radiator

Dead Universe:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/alex-kurtzman-chris-morgan-exit-universal-monsterverse-1055854?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=THR%20Breaking%20News_2017-11-08%2006:00:00_ARahman&utm_term=hollywoodreporter_breakingnews

QuoteEmblematic of Dark Universe's problems is the tony office building on the Universal lot that was revamped at considerable expense for the new venture. After being decked out in monster regalia, it now sits mostly empty.

Ouch.

Professor Bear

2 thoughts on Kurtzman and Morgan hitting the road:
1 - Kurtzman and Morgan's track record is hit and miss, and their absence is just as likely to result in better individual films.  Kurtzman especially has worked almost exclusively on "franchise" properties for the last decade.
2 - crossovers typically make more than the movie franchises that spawn the individual characters.  Even if Universal decided to cash in with what they already had and just went and made a Dracula vs The Mummy movie, they could probably make decent bank.

Art

Aw, and they never got to Abbot and Costello...

JamesC

They fucked this up royally.
Almost every feature I read about the Tom Cruise Mummy called it a remake of the Brendan Fraser film, which it wasn't.
The Brendan Fraser franchise had been milked to the point that any film connected with it was almost guaranteed to be a turkey.
I think this is the third modern attempt to create a monster franchise. First was the Del Toro Wolf Man which bombed (but was actually okay), then there was Dracula Untold (which I really enjoyed but the studio seemed to have no faith in). Then this turd. It's time to shit or get off the pot. If they cancel this franchise they may as well put the 'monsters' idea to bed for good.

And I agree the Hammer films are much better. The Universal films are all short, simple with memorable designs and strong central performances though. That's something the modern producers would do well to remember.

radiator

I just can't get over the hubris and arrogance of thinking you can announce a whole slate of movies and assume that audience demand exists, when you have zero proven track record and zero audience goodwill generated. It's the absolute definition of putting the cart before the horse.

Make a good film that people like then build off that, not the other way round. It's not rocket science is it?