Main Menu

Westworld - TV Series

Started by Goaty, 10 August, 2015, 10:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

I think the production is so strong in most respects, but I think it's fundamentally weak in the one that really counts; plot and writing.

Most of the actors are great, but the material they have to work with is very thin. A series like this lives or dies on it's cast of characters, and I simply don't care about any of them.

They've only made a shred of effort to flesh out a single character with any kind of developed backstory, [spoiler]and all of that amounted to was an obvious red herring[/spoiler]. It's not good enough. Again, going back to the Game of Thrones comparison - it had at least half a dozen genuine breakout, fan-favourite characters, even by the end of season 1. We're at, what, episode 7 of Westworld now, with no compelling or remotely memorable characters in sight.

Someone needs to tell the writers that a mystery ≠ a story.

JOE SOAP

After episode 2 the the story got lost in its own impossible maze of mid-season doldrums and mediocre mysteries but the end of season closer is worthwhile; for it does fulfill its promise of 'bigger pictures' intimated in those first few episodes.

Should've been a mini-series.

Mute77

On the whole I enjoyed this series  although at times it felt a bit slow going. Season 2 is slated to appear sometime in 2018 so it will be interesting to see where they go with this next..

Bolt-01

I've absolutely loved it. There are some issues with pacing and I think a few character were wasted, but overall I found it to be riveting. The use of music was superb and I thought the cast were first rate. Particularly James Marsden.

Professor Bear

I loved it, too.  Probably the only tv show that actually makes use of a nonlinear narrative structure rather than just making half the episode a flashback or cold-opening during the third act pagga.

Also some good use of the joyless aesthetic beloved of most modern sci-fi.  I'm currently watching my way through Poundshop Batman Person Of Interest, and it's good to see themes of artificial intelligence and predeterminism explored well for a change, though as with POI, I may feel differently by the fourth season when Amy Acker turns up in every fucking episode and ruins everything.

Jim_Campbell

That was quite brilliant. The basic structure of iteration/reiteration plus visibly increasing wobble was crushingly consistent with the show's basic premise, but delivered an ever-increasing sense of impending catastrophe.

At the point where it could have become tiresome and formulaic, they start to properly mess up the status quo, and then they drop a couple of proper 'Whoa, fuck!' moments that achieve the plot twist gold standard of being entirely logical in the context of the story.

I'm thoroughly cheered by seeing this so soon after Arrival... big, smart SF with proper ideas right in the middle. More, please.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richard

This whole series was brilliant. Best new series since GoT started.

It could have ended this week and been just one series long and I'd have been happy. I hope the second series is as good.

shaolin_monkey

Damn, just caught up with this now.  Binged the entire series on NOW TV.

It was a deeply disturbing mind-fuck of a series.  By which I mean it was bloody brilliant!!

It was so good I even dreamed about it.  That rarely happens!

Bolt-01

I saw a TV ad for the second season recently that implies that season 2 will pick up where season 1 finishes- very much looking forward to the return.