Main Menu

Justice League 2017

Started by JamesC, 21 June, 2016, 04:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Yep, Affleck is definitely up there as one of the best Batmen. I have to say I really like the DCEU version of Gotham too. Its very theatrical looking - it reminds me a bit of Paris from the Moulin Rouge film.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Rusty on 21 November, 2017, 01:38:45 AM
Thought it was awful. Not as bad as BvS in terms of how messy it was, but overall a worse film. The bad guy has to be the least interesting of a film in the past two decades or more. Looks like he fell out of a CGI concept sidereel that was left on the cutting room floor of Lord of the Rings editing from 18 years ago. It was like he was a CGI cosplayer of Tim Curry's Darkness from Legend.

I agree that Steppenwolf is a poor baddie but no worse, and no better, imo, than Hela or most of the other baddies from the comic book films.

Let's be honest, in the main, they are there simply as a plot device and nothing more. It's not like most of them are much better in the original comics.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Doctor Doom are the only comic villains that I find interesting. Maybe Victor Freeze after Paul Dini and Bruce Timm revamped him. Have I mentioned that Timm and Dini should have been running this shitshow from the start?
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

The MCU has managed a few decent villains, with Loki in his first two outings, Ego in GotG2 and the Vulture in Spiderman: Homecoming. The films where villains are more faceless or prosaic (Winter Soldier, Iron Man 2, Civil War) show that it isn't always necessary to have a hissing baddie centrestage.

JOE SOAP

I would love to see Red Skull again.

TordelBack

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 21 November, 2017, 10:49:08 AM

Yeah, I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

Incidentally, I meant Iron Man 3 not 2, as regards faceless baddies.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JamesC

I'd love to see Anarky used on film. A genuinely sympathetic villain that would fit right in with real world politics at the moment.
Don't suppose it will ever happen though. We'll probably get umpteen more versions of shitty Poison Ivy instead.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 November, 2017, 11:08:24 AM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 21 November, 2017, 10:49:08 AM

Yeah, I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

Incidentally, I meant Iron Man 3 not 2, as regards faceless baddies.

Eh? Guy Pearce might disagree.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 21 November, 2017, 12:34:23 PM
Eh? Guy Pearce might disagree.

Was citing IM3 as an example of a superhero movie where a villain doesn't have to be centrestage in proceedings: a key theme in the film is that the baddie is rather banal and unobtrusive. Killian isn't the frontrunner bad-guy for much of the movie (one of my favourite movie twists involved there, and one that I absolutely did not see coming), just sinister-nerd-turned-sleazebag, and only really hulks-out briefly at the end: a good character in a great movie, but not a scenery-chomping supervillain, like Red Skull or Hela. 

Professor Bear

The female henchman killed off unceremoniously by Killian was originally supposed to be IM3's main villain, as a continuation of the rug-pulling gag started with the Mandarin.  Anyway, he'd have to choose a character no-one would guess might be the villain for that reveal to work, so I wonder what made Shane Black assume that a woman would never be assumed by Marvel audiences to be important?  Marvel made him change it because they didn't want to have to make female action figures, so I guess we'll never know.

Tiplodocus

Ah, I sort of see your point.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Dandontdare

Well I saw this yesterday and it was way better than I expected. I reckon it even topped Wonder Women as the best of this current DC franchise. Steppenwolf was a bit of a forgettable villain (I mean, if you're using Mother Boxes, Boom Tubes and Parademons, why not go straight for Darkseid? I guess they're saving him up for the next one).

Casting was spot on for all the team with (as many have pointed out) Gadot stealing the show - I bet her party trick is seeing how many beer mats she can hold in that amazing brow-furrow. It all wrapped up a little too easily once you-know-who shows up, but all the fight scenes were very well done and there was just the right amount of humour amongst the grimness.

I stayed for the post credit bit where [spoiler]Superman and Flash have a race[/spoiler] - was there another one after the rest of the credits?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 November, 2017, 09:13:24 AM
was there another one after the rest of the credits?

Yes. [spoiler]Begins with Luthor in prison, refusing to leave his cell. The guard goes in and discovers that it's not Luthor but some other bald guy. Cut to a yacht floating offshore, where the real Luthor meets with Deadpool Deathstroke and proposes they "form a league of their own"...[/spoiler]
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 24 November, 2017, 09:24:37 AM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 November, 2017, 09:13:24 AM
was there another one after the rest of the credits?

Yes. [spoiler]Begins with Luthor in prison, refusing to leave his cell. The guard goes in and discovers that it's not Luthor but some other bald guy. Cut to a yacht floating offshore, where the real Luthor meets with Deadpool Deathstroke and proposes they "form a league of their own"...[/spoiler]
[spoiler]KGBeast is already employed by Luther by the time of BvS so yeah, this was kind of a none teaser as far as post credit sequences go.[/spoiler]

Thought it was all a bit pap TBH.