Main Menu

Red Dwarf XII

Started by Greg M., 13 October, 2017, 05:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

While I didn't think the latest episode (the rather misnamed 'Time Wave') was as awful as some make out, (not here, as I'm the first to mention this episode on this thread. I confess I copied and posted this review from another website I frequent, as I couldn't be bothered typing it all again) I didn't like it very much. It started promising, and the ideas were good, but[spoiler] I found the overly camp officer in the flamboyant costume really annoying. (Curiously, I did find camp Hitler a couple of episodes back funny, though,[/spoiler] but I do that the over-the-top acting of certain guest stars* are a detriment to the show**.)

That is actually two episodes of Red Dwarf I'm not keen on, which is unusual for me. While I found stuff I dislike in various episode, my take has generally been rather positive. That includes the derided series like Series VII (which I like a lot) and Series VIII (possibly the weakest series for me, but again I largely enjoy it... but some of it really dragged) . Some of the stuff in Siliconia was very funny, to be fair, and I think it is an episode that will grow on me, but it is a bit worrying to have watched two episodes in a row that I'm not keen on.

Then again, in the end it's only two episodes. I did read in a review (which I can annoyingly no longer find) that 'things improve' for the next episode, albeit these things are obviously subjective.

I'll admit I'm a bit tired of 'new station/ship of the week' episodes, although historically those were episodes I have favoured in the past, as I like Red Dwarf with a bit of adventure and a smidging of horror. I think the issue here, really is that we have had three in a row. The synopses of the next episodes suggest things will change, but I wonder if they should have changed the ordering a bit to mix things up.

I think I will rewatch these episodes soon and see if my experience improves. I hope so. While I'm a bit disappointed in Series XII so far, I am not without hope.

*Johnny Vegas and James Buckley were fine last episode. [spoiler]I did find the leader of the Mechanoid resistance a bit irritating though.[/spoiler]

**I largely really loved Series X: The Beginning, for example, but found certain guest characters a bit too silly. Thankfully the rest of the episode was largely great, that they didn't drag it down too much. I think maybe I preferred it when secondary characters were largely played straight. That's not to say that was always the case even in Old Dwarf however - Confidence, in Confidence and Paranoia for example, but it says something that is one of my most disliked episodes of Red Dwarf. Some might say the same for Meltdown with the Caricature wax-droids, but in their case it didn't really bother me, possibly because being a caricature, was their point.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Mardroid on 22 October, 2017, 07:47:25 AM
I largely really loved Series X: The Beginning, for example, but found certain guest characters a bit too silly. Thankfully the rest of the episode was largely great, that they didn't drag it down too much. I think maybe I preferred it when secondary characters were largely played straight.

For me there's always an inverse law at work with Red Dwarf - the bigger the guest cast, the less I enjoy the episode. Didn't really like the series XI opener 'Twentica' much, either - all a bit silly and cariacature-like. 'Meltdown' is the exception - always loved that one!
@jamesfeistdraws

Mardroid

I really like Meltdown too. Curiously, it's one of the more disliked episodes of the original run by fans, though.

Concerning Twentica, I liked it, but I agree with your assessment there concerning the silliness of the other characters.

Greg M.

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 22 October, 2017, 10:01:04 AM
For me there's always an inverse law at work with Red Dwarf - the bigger the guest cast, the less I enjoy the episode.

Your favourite episode is 'Marooned'.

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

edgeworthy

More importantly what exactly is the recipe for "Sugar Puff" Sandwiches?

Dark Jimbo

Oh, ye Gods. That was just painful. Probably my least favourite episode ever.
@jamesfeistdraws

Greg M.

I dunno if I'd go quite as far as Dark Jimbo - 'Timewave' wasn't as protractedly and consistently awful as something like two-part crapfest 'Pete' from Season 8 - but it was the weakest episode of the Dave era thus far. There were a few good bits - the Kryten-reversing throwaway gag amused me, and I did laugh at Rimmer's line [spoiler]"Protected as I am under Space Corp Directive 381286 - Kryten, shut up."[/spoiler] Unfortunately, the rubbish unfunny bits outweighed the good, and the ending in particular was genuinely terrible. The episode almost managed to salvage something with the Rimmer stuff, but we weren't really getting anything we hadn't had before and better in, say, 'Terrorform'.

Mardroid

Without spoiling anything, the next episode, Mechocracy is very ship-centric with a nice bit of comedy.

The Enigmatic Dr X

AAAGH!

I seem to have recorded Red Dwarf V and not the new series at all. Perils of Sky+. Downloading the new episodes as I type.
Lock up your spoons!

Mardroid

You can watch the episodes here though, Dr X. They show each episode a week early. You will need an account but it's not difficult to set up.

I work nights so I have to watch it this way. I usually link my laptop to the TV via HDMI lead. Unfortunately the broadcast is not HD, but it works pretty well.

IndigoPrime

If you've an Apple TV, you can also AirPlay mirror an iPhone to your telly. Not ideal, but it works well enough for something like this.

Greg M.

From the ridiculous to the sublime - 'Mechocracy' turns out to be the best episode of Season XI or XII to date. Brilliant stuff - well-written, well-played and very funny at points, with each of the main cast getting a chance to shine [spoiler]and an extremely unexpected, well-timed and very welcome guest appearance.[/spoiler] What a turnaround from last week!

von Boom

Quote from: Greg M. on 02 November, 2017, 10:11:59 PM
From the ridiculous to the sublime - 'Mechocracy' turns out to be the best episode of Season XI or XII to date. Brilliant stuff - well-written, well-played and very funny at points, with each of the main cast getting a chance to shine [spoiler]and an extremely unexpected, well-timed and very welcome guest appearance.[/spoiler] What a turnaround from last week!

Very true. Mechocracy was gold. I hope the last two episodes can keep up to the same level.

von Boom

Doug Naylor seems to have found some Red Dwarf magic again. M-Corp was just great. Very funny all the way through.

[spoiler]Returning Dave to the age of 23 and then ending with the original opening again was an excellent idea. I just think it might have been saved for the last episode of this series. It would made a fitting end to Red Dwarf if no more series were made.[/spoiler]