Main Menu

The Board Game Thread

Started by radiator, 21 February, 2014, 03:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrJomster

V pleased to see a 2000AD card game coming out. There's a lot of scope here for more of the same with the other IP. Games like this are doing really well and I would love to see some Tooth games becoming more generally recognised board or card game classics.

While we're on the subject, Sentinels Of The Multiverse is an excellent co-op supers card game. Something like this, where a team of player judges take on a set of perps/big bads could be brilliant! Particularly as the art's done for you already! Come on you lot, pitch it to Tharg and do a kickstarter!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

radiator

I went to a launch event here in Portland last night for a game called Illimat that was co-created by one of my favourite bands The Decemberists.

I backed the game on Kickstarter a year or so back. I'm still waiting on my copy, but got to learn the game and play a few rounds.

The game is really beautifully designed - the art is by Carson Ellis who does all of the band's artwork and album covers, and is quite innovative in how it uses the box the game comes in as part of the game. Really clever little card game, can't wait for my copy to arrive.

https://www.illimat.com/

Also recently got a copy of Mysterium and been playing that. Takes forever to set up, but it's a really fun game which plays like a cross between Cluedo and Dixit, and is incredibly accessible so even my more non board game friends enjoy it. Beautiful artwork on this one too.

Keef Monkey

Yeah don't own Mysterium but a friend brought it over once and I enjoyed it so much I bought it for my brother's birthday. Really enjoyable.

Was swinging back and forth on whether to get The Thing from Mondo, but now that it's finally on sale they won't ship over here so that's made the choice for me! You can get it through Amazon but the shipping and the inevitable custom fees push it past my curiosity level, and reports haven't actually been all that positive about it. Oddly relieved actually, I really don't need a new board game so it would have been a fairly frivolous purchase.

Molch-R

Quote from: radiator on 16 November, 2017, 04:58:52 PM
I went to a launch event here in Portland last night for a game called Illimat that was co-created by one of my favourite bands The Decemberists.

Been playing this for a few nights now. It's essentially the old 'cassino' card game but with a few twists. The rules aren't *super* clear to begin with, but an hour on YouTube later and we realised we'd been playing it right. Better with more than two people, but a lot of fun. Certainly showed me how shoddy my basic arithmetic skills are.

radiator

Quote from: Molch-R on 17 November, 2017, 02:49:18 PM
Quote from: radiator on 16 November, 2017, 04:58:52 PM

Been playing this for a few nights now. It's essentially the old 'cassino' card game but with a few twists. The rules aren't *super* clear to begin with, but an hour on YouTube later and we realised we'd been playing it right. Better with more than two people, but a lot of fun. Certainly showed me how shoddy my basic arithmetic skills are.

Nice! Did you back the Kickstarter? I found the game very confusing to start with, luckily we had a guy on hand to walk us through it and play a few rounds, which is always 1000% better than just reading the rulebook.

It was also a little hard to concentrate as well, given that I also got to briefly meet several members of my favourite band - the last time I can remember feeling that starstruck and awkward was probably meeting John, Carlos, Karl and Alex at the Dredd screening.  :D.

It's such a beautiful game and doesn't really look like anything else I've seen before. I think if you were to play in a pub or bar it would turn a lot of heads.

Quotereports haven't actually been all that positive about it

Huh, I wondered what the word on this was... Was sorely tempted to place an order, but maybe not. Seems like Dead of Winter might be a more rewarding for a great game with a similar theme to The Thing?

Haven't checked in a while - also been recently playing a lot of One Night Ultimate Werewolf and the expansion Daybreak, which we've just introduced to a load of new people, Kingdomino (a light, easy to learn Carcassonne-ish tile game) and Bears Vs Babies (quite a low-scoring game and not as immediate or accessible as Exploding Kittens, but still really fun).

Third Estate Ned

I really enjoyed Dead of Winter as it turned out I was a traitor whose objective was to secretly prevent the community from surviving while pretending all the while that I was collaborating. I'm useless at lying and always burst out in fits of giggles but the great enjoyment came from everyone angrily blaming another player for dumping petrol and medicine in the food supply, then exiling him when he was totally innocent. His protests just reinforced their accusations and they just thought I was giggling at that.

It's quite a bleak scenario, though, for an evening's entertainment but it doesn't drag on.

Molch-R

Quote from: radiator on 17 November, 2017, 05:56:14 PM
Nice! Did you back the Kickstarter? I found the game very confusing to start with, luckily we had a guy on hand to walk us through it and play a few rounds, which is always 1000% better than just reading the rulebook.

It's such a beautiful game and doesn't really look like anything else I've seen before. I think if you were to play in a pub or bar it would turn a lot of heads.

My other half did, so it was a surprise for me when it turned up. We'd only just learnt how to play cassino (historical reenactment FTW) so the parallels meant it wasn't too confusing, though like I said one or two of the rules in the book could do with some elucidation. We played it in the pub on Friday night and had some curious folks ask about it. The excellent design - especially of the luminaries - gives it a certain air of the occult, which doesn't feature at all and, I'll be honest, I kinda wished it did; but that's not a criticism, just my imagination getting away with me.

Theblazeuk

Got the Star Wars version of Carcassone - took way longer than expected but realised that's cos we were playing it wrong (doh). Fun! Good 2-player gam, just need to sort out table space first :)

Keef Monkey

Just backed Nemesis, really didn't need another game but it looks so damn cool, figure it would appeal to some here - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/awakenrealms/nemesis-board-game

The Enigmatic Dr X

Came to post about playing Labyrinth with the kids.

Backed Nemesis. Damn it looks good
Lock up your spoons!

Keef Monkey

Theblazeuk

Played Mysterium yesterday - great game but we didn't play the full rules. Think I will be nicking the  vision cards + mystic for an RPG at some point in the future as it seems perfect for making the psychic character more interesting in a game of call of cthulhu or something similar.

Also played Pandemic, a game I bounced off quite hard the first time a long time ago. This time with a clearer hand at the wheel it was very engaging even if we completely failed to save the world (but seemed like we were just steps away right up until East Asia collapsed).

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 15 April, 2018, 03:40:43 PM
Also played Pandemic, a game I bounced off quite hard the first time a long time ago. This time with a clearer hand at the wheel it was very engaging even if we completely failed to save the world (but seemed like we were just steps away right up until East Asia collapsed).

That's been almost every game of Pandemic Legacy for us! We've won a couple of months of it but the last bunch have all been failures and every time we've been one, maybe two turns away from completing our plan for success. Pretty disheartening but we keep going back for some reason.

wedgeski

This weekend's game was Clank! In! Space!, a sci-fi re-skin and rules update to Clank!, one of our favourite board-games.

It's a ton of fun, pretty much a shoe-in if you like the original. It does play differently, though: the map has a ton more mobility, there are (simple) requirements to meet before you can even go for an artifact, and the deck-building has incorporated ideas from other, similar games; for example, there are now faction cards that must be played in the same hand in order to activate effects on other cards.

The fluff is a constant stream of sci-fi in-jokes, which may annoy some people, but we found it amusing enough. The package itself is amazing with huge amounts of tokens and pieces, and a jigsaw board with flippable sides for more variety.

Overall, brilliant.

Colin YNWA

I'm not sure how this will be recieved by boardgaming aficionados but on a whim from my wife - she never owned it as a kid and always liked to play it when she stumbled across it - we bought a copy of Cluedo to play with the kids and have to say its immense fun.

Its fresh and new to us (not played in since I was a kid) but its almost replaced Exploding Kittens in my children's hearts!