Main Menu

Michael Fleisher

Started by sheridan, 14 March, 2018, 10:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Stacey

Quote from: BPP on 15 March, 2018, 03:48:38 PM
Shame to hear. Hope Tharg will do a small mention or starscan.

Junker was reprinted in a Megazine floppy a few years ago. Shouldn't be too hard to find on eBay.
You're not mixing it up with 'Trash' are you? I did.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: James Stacey on 16 March, 2018, 09:30:16 AM

Which was written by Paul Kupperberg, another US writer with a fine track record who proved fairly unsuitable to the 2000AD format...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 16 March, 2018, 10:24:34 AM
Quote from: James Stacey on 16 March, 2018, 09:30:16 AM

Which was written by Paul Kupperberg, another US writer with a fine track record who proved fairly unsuitable to the 2000AD format...

Blimey, that never registered with me!  Pretty sure I have a Phantom Stranger run by him (and Mignola?) that I really rated, and did he do Vigilante too? Certainly can't blame a Tharg for trying!

AlexF

Always sad to hear of the death of a creator droid; thank you for passing it on.

You know, I think it would be possible to put together a tribute reprint collection, but for maximum impact it would work best to just pluck out single episodes from his Rogue and Junker. The long-form plots were not up to snuff, but when it comes to ultraviolence and mean-spirited heroes and villains, he had plenty of 2000ADish ideas.

Link Prime

Quote from: AlexF on 16 March, 2018, 12:06:47 PM
You know, I think it would be possible to put together a tribute reprint collection, but for maximum impact it would work best to just pluck out single episodes from his Rogue and Junker.

I'd vote for a floppy reprint of The Saharan Ice Belt War- his strongest stint on Rogue IMO, with some pretty good early artwork by the Coleby Droid.

broodblik

I would really like a re-print of his work on Junker and also the complete Friday
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: broodblik on 16 March, 2018, 01:56:00 PMand also the complete Friday
I suspect that wouldn't be the best-selling book from the house of Tharg. (That said, a War Machine book in the 2000 AD UC, with a few back-up strips from Smith and Fleisher could work.)

AlexF

I think the most recent War machine Collection (either the GN or the Meg floppies) DOES in fact include the Smith-scripted Friday tales, and maybe even one of the Fleisher ones from the Rogue Trooper Annual (which is full of some curios set in between 'War Machine' and 'Golden Fox Rebellion', and do a bit of work to set up a new status quo for Fr1day.

But trust me, you don't want a 'Complete Fr1day' collection.

CalHab

The current Rebellion collection of War Machine includes two Fleisher stories from annuals as backup:
https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/graphic-novels/rogue-trooper/GRN471

JayzusB.Christ

I'm not going to bullshit you here, I didn't like anything he did for 2000ad. But his takeover from Steve Ditko on the original Shade the Changing Man was good. Haven't read anything else he did.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"