Main Menu

Prog 1275

Started by Trough, 21 January, 2002, 10:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trough

Just flipped through the new Prog.  Thought I'd tell you what I thought of it.

Cover's nicely bold and eye-catching (especially considering it'll be placed in the WHSmith kids' section between My Little Pony and Pokemarse).

Dredd: A rather poignant little one-off by Robbie Morrison about Dredd feeling his age.  Hmm; more foreshadowing of something or other?  Cracking Peter Doherty artwork, BTW.

Storming Heaven: Still think it's overrated.  Still not much happening.  Cool superhero names though.

Shakara: Sufficiently weird once more, but for how much longer will we get enjoyment from these odd little tales before we run out of patience and want to find out just what in the name of Greek b*ggery is going on?

Future Shocks are back, huzzah.  But hang on - what the blazes is Cam Kennedy doing, drawing a Future Shock?  Still, as usual his artwork's superb and it's always nice to see big robot things kicking the bejaysus out of each other.  The story's been done a billion times before (in fact I seem to recall a Future Shock with the same subject matter appearing quite recently, if not with the same ending) but this version's quite good, I reckon.

Bad Company: Hell, I like Bad Company.  It's like meeting up with an old friend after 10 years to find they're still exactly the same and you still get on very nicely indeed, thank you.  And some of us rather enjoy the artwork on crisp packets, frankly.

Trough, who likes ready salted

McNulty

Rember the SPOILER logo. I don't get my progs till Wednesday!:)

nathan

Wow, another Dredd cover! That makes 6 of the last 8 weekly prog covers. It's good though!

I have to say, Trough, for me that Dredd strip sucked big time.  I just don't think Robbie Morrison has got the hang of Dredd the way, say, Gordon Rennie has. It doesn't feel right. Using a 21st century drug like heroin instead of a future Meg equivalent just didn't do it for me. As for Peter Doherty's art, it's not exactly gripping. Hardly any backgrounds, loads of blank facial expressions and  a Dredd who doesn't have a chin so much as a turtle beak! Also the baby on page 2 looked like Phil Mitchell.
In contrast, Storming Heaven is witty, atmospheric and intelligent, with utterly original, vivid art to match.

I agree about Shakara though. I've lost patience with the story or lack of one, I just drool over Henry Flint's art instead!

Future Shocks. Yes it is strange to see Cam Kennedy drawing an FS. Maybe it's a favour to first-time scripter Chris Blythe who usually makes Cam look great when he colours him. I thought the first 3.5 pages were pretty confusing and agree the twist wasn't very original.

Bad Company: Yes it does look like crisp packet art, but the script needs much less sparse visuals than that to make an interesting five pages. As it is, the story is unfolding veeerrry slooowly.

Nathan (cheese and onion)

GordonR

>Dredd: A rather poignant little one-off by >Robbie Morrison about Dredd feeling his age. >Hmm; more foreshadowing of something or other?

No, just more of Robbie's patented schmaltz in which Dredd shows his cuddly friendly side and is nice to babies and little children.  

*gag*

I like Robbie Morrison's work a lot, but I don't think he should be let within a mile of Dredd.  I count three 'poignant' Robbie Morrison Dredd stories in the last year or less featuring kids.  Memo to Robbie: no more phoney schmaltzy kid stories.

Dominic O'Rourke

;Just flipped through the new Prog. Thought I'd ;tell you what I thought of it.

that was just my intention too!

;Cover's nicely bold and eye-catching (especially ;considering it'll be placed in the WHSmith kids' ;section between My Little Pony and Pokemarse).

I can see crossover potential My Little Poke in the Dredds, or something like that, the cover by the way was a laugh to look at straight out of the envelope, seems to be alittle something different about the last couple of covers, and then I noticed the new desigener, step forward Graham Rolfe, take a bow, NOW BACK TO YOUR WORKSTATION , dont forget the sensory depriving goggles , now where were we...

;Dredd: A rather poignant little one-off by Robbie ;Morrison about Dredd feeling his age. Hmm; more ;foreshadowing of something or other? Cracking ;Peter Doherty artwork, BTW.

I really liked this story, I liked the line about forgetting all the old drugs (we do the same with alcohol and nicotine (says he stubbing one out in a budweiser can)), I thought this was getting to be the last days of dredd type story, he cant come back from all this and keep going for another 25 years, no stookie gland can do that much!

;Storming Heaven: Still think it's overrated. ;Still not much happening. Cool superhero names ;though.

is that all the history of sunshine superman that we get, ahhhh. I love the superhero stories through and through, and I am still holding out hope that this wakes up soon *yawn*

;Shakara: Sufficiently weird once more, but for ;how much longer will we get enjoyment from these ;odd little tales before we run out of patience ;and want to find out just what in the name of ;Greek b*ggery is going on?

was that not a family of ace garps?

;Future Shocks are back, huzzah. But hang on - ;what the blazes is Cam Kennedy doing, drawing a ;Future Shock? Still, as usual his artwork's ;superb and it's always nice to see big robot ;things kicking the bejaysus out of each other. ;The story's been done a billion times before (in ;fact I seem to recall a Future Shock with the ;same subject matter appearing quite recently, if ;not with the same ending) but this version's ;quite good, I reckon.

I liked this one, didn't quite see the eyes in the suit or the bodies in tanks the first time reading through, I didn't get the sixt sense either!

;Bad Company: Hell, I like Bad Company. It's like ;meeting up with an old friend after 10 years to ;find they're still exactly the same and you still ;get on very nicely indeed, thank you. And some of ;us rather enjoy the artwork on crisp packets, ;frankly.

It may shock you to hear, and please sit down if you want, but only just this minute have I finshed reading BC, I didn't bother reading it prog 2002, I din't feel like it at the time, and then with each weeek, I've just skipped that bit of the comic, meaning to go back and read 2002, and then 1973, etc, etc, etc.
My first question though, is Pete Milligan and Peter Milligan the same bloke, when did we get so familiar with writers, I belive if you look it's still MR Alan Grant, MR John Wagner, we haven't yet reducved ourselves to Al, baby or Johnny boy (flame on!)
I loved it, as an aside I've also been reading some recent DC comics from our estible Garth Ennis (Gar baby, come sit by the pool!) the vertigo War stories, I'd like to see either of the mr Milligans do a take on real life war, in fact, 2kad has so many future war stories, that I think as an homage we could get to see some Battle! worthy or Commando, or even a Seawolf story make it to these hallowed pages, afterall it is our birthright!

;Trough, who likes ready salted
Hmmm, not to get all posh on you but, I really like the marks and spencer's sea salt and vinegar handcooked crisps, expansive but very, very tasty!!

Member No. 10

Trough

Mr McNulty - Sorry about the Spoilers, I totally forgot the subject even existed (well, duh!).

Mr Nathan - Take your point about the heroin, I must admit I thought it was a bit of an anachronism myself.  Still liked the story, though.
Don't ALL babies look like Phil Mitchell?  According to EastEnders he's impregnated every woman on the planet so it's only logical he's still there in the 22nd Century, sowing his wild oats.  Maybe that's the real story behind Anderson getting up the duff...

Oho!  Posh crisps is it now, Mr Dorourke?  You're right, the M&S variety are rather special, as are those big bags of kettle crisps like wot you get dahn the boozer.

Trough, munching on Mini-Cheddars.

Mudcrab

Hmm, Dredd was different, but I really liked it. Very emotional, which is always a shock from Dredd. As ever, when something isn't quite the same, I go 'hold on (flick back), who wrote this?' As you all know, you can tell the difference. BUT, as I said, I liked it a lot.

Storming Heaven - It's getting better I reckon. Dunno about evryone else, but I'm on the bad guy's side, he's way cooler. If you ask me Dr.Tripps is a bit of an arse. 'mon the Lizard King! Then again I do like the Doors more than silly kitschy psychedelic stuff.

Future Shock - Pretty good one. Nuff said.

Bad Company - mmmm, nostalgia. Yep, I reckon it's good, although I'd agree with whoever said it that it deserves someone else drawing it. Jock's cover last week was fantastic. A bit of much needed 'newness'.

Oh yeah, Shakara. Superb art, very intriguing again. Liked the macro-parallel thingy wotsit with last weeks one, if you know what I mean.

0/10 to my mutant postman, who manged to fold it, wrap it in an elastic band around all the other mail and somehow crease the top too. Better service my arse. Any chance of getting DO NOT BEND on the envelopes? Probably not.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

20-Phfor-7

Cam's Future Shock art is spot on.

Darn sight better than the fake-Mike McMahon Dredd thing he did in Prog 2002.

Where is Mike? Bring him back...

...if he hasn't been around for a while. I only started reading again at P.2002 after I quit back in '87...