Main Menu

Wireless energy a reality

Started by LARF, 23 July, 2009, 10:17:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LARF

Now this is awesome.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8165928.stm

real sci-fi! Imagine a whole world without cables!

Matt Timson

Didn't Tesla do this a bazillion years ago?
Pffft...

Matt Timson

Which is, of course, exactly what it says further down...    ::)
Pffft...

LARF

Yes he did, it says it further down in the article.

Stop drawing and being so fucking brilliant and mr vampire all the time and take time out to read things properly, sometimes you can give artists a bad name, writers already think were ulliterate.

::)

Tweak72

+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

TordelBack

How much fun is the Daily Mail going to have with that one.  The mind boggles how many different kinds of cancer  could be caused and/or cured by wireless electricity.

The Enigmatic Dr X

It'd be like that Simpsons episode where Moleman is hit by a laser ("My cataracts! I'm cured!") then another ("Oh well")
Lock up your spoons!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Wireless energy would have confused my dear departed gran no end. She's have thought it meant her radio worked without batteries.
Lock up your spoons!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 05 August, 2009, 02:34:23 PM
It'd be like that Simpsons episode where Moleman is hit by a laser ("My cataracts! I'm cured!") then another ("Oh well")

Think you'll find that was Jasper, actually.</pedant>  ;)

As to the story - luddite as I am, this confuses me. Surely we already have wireless technology? It's how I'm able to use my laptop in the garden, isn't it?
@jamesfeistdraws

House of Usher

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 05 August, 2009, 02:35:08 PM
Wireless energy would have confused my dear departed gran no end. She's have thought it meant her radio worked without batteries.

:o You mean it doesn't mean that??
STRIKE !!!

Proudhuff

From the article:

"In the very early days of electricity before the electric grid was deployed [they] were very interested in developing a scheme to transmit electricity wirelessly over long distances," explained Professor Soljacic.
"They couldn't imagine dragging this vast infrastructure of metallic wires across every continent."

Tesla even went so far as to build a 29m-high aerial known as Wardenclyffe Tower in New York.

This is the future we were promised! now I just to fit one to my flying car...
DDT did a job on me

JOE SOAP

Don't worry, sooner or later someone will apply it to their penis.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 05 August, 2009, 02:35:08 PM

I thought that was the point.