Main Menu

The Board Game Thread

Started by radiator, 21 February, 2014, 03:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

locustsofdeath!

Apparently it's a cross between Space Hulk and Warhammer Quest set in the 40k world.

SIP

Hmmm, seems to be some confusion about whether you can actually buy this in store today or just pre order it. It's gone on the Australian games workshop as a pre order for 2nd May.

SIP

Yes, "assassinorum : executioner force" was preorder for next week. I Went into games workshop yesterday and they had the game there and I got a good look at it. It looked promising, but I was really looking for something that my kids could also play and it looked a little too complex for my 7 year old.

So I ended up getting " zombicide" instead and I'm pretty happy with it. Played through one game so far and everyone could follow it. Perhaps as complicated as I can get for the next year or two.

Third Estate Ned

Played spaghetti western shoot-out card game Bang last night. Has anyone played this?

Players are secretly divided into collaborative outlaws, a sheriff and deputy duo and there is an independent renegade. Each group has their own objective and individual character card with unique powers. In the game, you take cards with which you "shoot" your opponents until they eventually lose all their lives as well as getting various other strategic cards to put into play.

This is the first time I've played this sort of card game and it took me and another two newbie players a long while to get used to the myriad rules. It's meant to be easy to pick up but I would say you need to play two or three times to get used to it. Compared to a board game like Catan, which seemed complicated when we first played it but which all new players picked up in no time, some of the context-specific rules in this seemed a bit finicky.

I guess it depends how quick you are on the uptake.

I would play it again because the more seasoned players were having a lot of bantering fun and the card exchanges were pretty fast between them. Plus, the sheriff gets to wear a shiny plastic badge.

Richmond Clements

Quotethe sheriff gets to wear a shiny plastic badge.

You should have opened with that.

Third Estate Ned

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 26 April, 2015, 11:22:25 AM
Quotethe sheriff gets to wear a shiny plastic badge.

You should have opened with that.

I should have left it at that.

Keef Monkey

Picked up Assassinorum  (if that's what it's called, don't have it to hand to check!), had popped into the shop to have a look and it just seemed too cool to not grab. Anyone had a go yet? I'd imagine it'll be a while before I get a session going so will probably play a few rounds solo just to learn it.

locustsofdeath!

Bought it. Haven't played it yet. Lots of great minis to assemble, though (although a bunch of them come in other sets, so I have them already).

ThryllSeekyr

I don't have the patience for any board game these days (Despite my earlier claims that I own a few!), but after googling it.

I found this.....

You, see, I don't like games that take longer to set up  than actually playing them.

Especially if you going to be the first to go.

Just ask anybody I know of playing Magic - The Gathering around the table top with some people I know and eventually sold all the cards I had collected for a measly hundred dollars a few years earlier.

Remembering a game where I was yelling at the person who had taken me out of the game so very quickly after we took while to set up.  Yes, I am a sore loser, but only sometimes and always for a good reason.

It's just madness to invest so much preparation in what could be a very short and unsatisfactory game.

Emp

Finally got a copy of "The Red Dragon Inn". Took ages as all I can normally find ins 2, 3 or 4 or expansions. Hope to give it a run out tomorrow and looking forward to it as it meets all my requirements: 45/60 minute playtime and fast paced.

Keef Monkey

Hadn't really appreciated that the Assassinorum miniatures would need glued and assembled (think when I was getting similar games years ago like Advanced Heroquest they were snap together pieces). Spend a good chunk of Saturday putting them all together and really enjoyed it so maybe I've found a new hobby. Now looking into how to paint them...

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 11 May, 2015, 04:18:02 PM
Hadn't really appreciated that the Assassinorum miniatures would need glued and assembled (think when I was getting similar games years ago like Advanced Heroquest they were snap together pieces). Spend a good chunk of Saturday putting them all together and really enjoyed it so maybe I've found a new hobby. Now looking into how to paint them...

This guy is putting together a great guide (and his minis look fantastic painted up) for Assassinorum: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/19189712#19189712

Keef Monkey

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 11 May, 2015, 05:37:35 PM
Quote from: Keef Monkey on 11 May, 2015, 04:18:02 PM

This guy is putting together a great guide (and his minis look fantastic painted up) for Assassinorum: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/19189712#19189712

Those look amazing! I've got some old figures from Advanced Heroquest which I might paint first as a practice run first, as I'll probably make a mess of it first few tries. Ordered the 'How To Paint Citadel Miniatures' book from Amazon and have just started looked at paints - looks like it's quite a pricey hobby if you're buying base paints, dry paints, shading paints etc. I guess once you've splurged on the initial kits they'll do for a while though.

SIP

I picked up assassinorum on the weekend.  Played it twice so far, once on my own (got battered) and once with my kids (almost won). Have really enjoyed it.  I know games workshop are getting a backlash for the price and its lack of variation,  but I think people are coming around to the fact that it's a decent game. 

Can't say I really agree with the lack of variation gripes, there are enough variable events,  patrols, rooms and combat to make it repayable.  Too many comparisons to space hulk I think.  It's far more playable and accessible to younger players than space hulk and is ideal for a 4 player co-op  game which is great from my perspective. 

SIP

You can also pick up the game very cheaply on ebay right now MINUS the 4 assassins figures (which are lovely). You can easily substitute other miniatures for them and the rest of the game is high quality.

Almost sold the assassins myself to pay for the game. ....But once they were in hand I couldn't bring myself to part with them!

And as for painting figures,  the pain is in the initial outlay on colours.  Easier to do it gradually by picking a few colours for a selected miniature and working on that,  then accumulate over time.