Main Menu

Day of Chaos 2: a.Covid-19 thread.

Started by TordelBack, 05 March, 2020, 08:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Out on our gardening rounds today in this fine weather, few people seemed concerned. In fact, whilst doing the gardens adjacent to fairly well travelled roads, more people than usual stopped for a quick natter about nothing in particular.

The only hitch was our last customer, an elderly lady who usually makes us a brew and let's us use the toilet, declared herself in lockdown (which is fair enough, of course) - so no brew and no toilet. Had to do the last hour of weeding with crossed legs and a clenched jaw. (It's just weeding, wee-ding, WEE-ding - think about deserts, think about deserts... Nnng...)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Angry Vince

As a kiwi, I thought my fellow NZ'ers were smart enough people. Events of the past month have proven me wrong on a daily basis.
I'm working for an FMCG company in NZ (we make bread, fresh & UHT milk, flour, butter, spreads etc.) so for the past three weeks my team have been working all hours trying to keep the country in stock as more and more people have been panic buying*

All of this stuff is locally made and the only thing preventing it being on the supermarket shelves is the legion of apocalyptic muppets (Apocamuppets?) buying like crazy.

And of course toilet paper has been flying off the shelves.

The reason why everyone has been hoarding toilet paper became abundantly clear when our PM announced a lockdown starting tomorrow and the country collective shat it pants.

Panic buying on a national scale, but not in a way that makes sense - most supermarkets were swamped and overwhelmed. The one that I walk past on the way home from work was deserted as was the superette near home.

People are, collectively, fucking morons.

* We have since renamed panic buying as Sudden Temporary UnPlanned Increased Demand

<edited for grammar>
Angry Vince: One Man Against the World! (So far the world is winning 96:0)

Tjm86

Quote from: Cyberleader2000 on 23 March, 2020, 05:10:10 PM
... now im more worried about this couf I have.

This is the irritating (possibly not the best phrase) part of this situation.  Normally we wouldn't bat an eyelid at a cough this time of year.  Now it is one more thing to stress over.

Stay frosty though ...

Funt Solo

The Tories, all the time: "Being selfish is good!"
The Tories, now: "Why is everyone being so selfish?"

* perhaps belongs on the political thread
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Professor Bear

Tories, 2019: What Corbyn proposes cannot be done, there no money for it.
Tories, now: Here's all that Corbyn wanted and even some UBI shit right on top for good measure, AND an extra trillion for landlords and the banks.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Funt Solo on 23 March, 2020, 07:02:34 PM
The Tories, all the time: "Being selfish is good!"
The Tories, now: "Why is everyone being so selfish?"

Tories, 2016-2020: "We've all had enough of experts — don't let the liberal elite tell you what to do!"

Also Tories, 2020: "Why won't anyone listen to the experts and let the liberal elite tell them what to do?"
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

pauljholden

Quote from: Cyberleader2000 on 23 March, 2020, 05:10:10 PM
just found out a friends mom is in hospital and has now been confirmed as having the dam virus.
whats worses is hes been working nightshifts with another friend of mine last week and I was hanging out with said other friend all of last week so now im more worried about this couf I have.

Stay safe Cyber leader, it's likely if you have it you'll come through the other side unscathed, but thoughts with you buddy!

Tjm86

Tories 2010 - 2019:  NHS workers are underworked, overpaid wasters ...
Tories 2020: NHS workers are heroes, the lifeblood of the nation and we all need to get behind them ...

[Actually, is it worth shifting this to a new thread?  Day of Chaos 2 Fallout:  Tory Hypocrisy]

The Enigmatic Dr X

When do we see police on the street, authorised to summarily dispense justice?

I reckon in about an hour...
Lock up your spoons!

pauljholden

Well, that's it then:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51999604

Coronavirus: Greggs to close all stores to prevent spread

I can't believe they preempted the PMs announcement of it an hour early, though.

Professor Bear

Neither the government or its ministers - including the PM - have run a single Coronavirus ad on any of their social media accounts, despite being offered millions in free advertising credit by Facebook to do so.

sheridan

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 23 March, 2020, 07:21:08 PM
When do we see police on the street, authorised to summarily dispense justice?

I reckon in about an hour...
You're wrong - it was an hour and ten minutes ;)