Main Menu

Star Wars Episode 7 and Disney buy Lucas Film

Started by willthemightyW, 30 October, 2012, 08:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: JPMaybe on 08 September, 2015, 05:55:19 PM
I'm fairly sure it came from the first crop of West End Games stuff that came out in the late eighties, that also gave us stuff like five-mile long Executor; X-Wing the game came out in '93.

I'm not sure it's fair to lay too much blame for the failings of the EU at WEG's feet. Role players by their nature like to/need to know how big and/or fast everything is (the better to kill or steal it) and what people/species/planets/weapons are called, and in 1987 aside from dribbles on the backs of toy packaging, the Marvel comics, a handful of novels and some bubblegum cards none of that info existed.

I'm sure no-one at WEG realised that when they were trying to populate Tatooine with NPCs as a campaign/scenario setting, or squinting at their paused VHS shot of regular Star Destroyers dwarfed by Executor, that they were laying shaky foundations for 25 years of multimedia output and countless flamewars. They were just making a (fun) game.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: JPMaybe on 08 September, 2015, 04:18:32 PM
TIE fighters lacking shields is a product of the almost uniformly shittily written EU (ditto them not having ejector seats, even though we see a TIE-pilot ejecting in TESB).  If you look at the escape from Death Star scene, one of the TIEs appears to take several hits from the Falcon's quad guns that are dissipated harmlessly.

TIE-pilot ejecting?!  How did I miss that?  What scene in ESB was that in?

TordelBack

The asteroid field - but it's a matter of endless debate whether this is really what is shown.  Ejector seats are however well established in Marvel and DH comics, and as noted in the TIE Fighter game. So as solid a piece of the former EU as there ever was.

Tiplodocus

Yeah, it's a blurry figure shape that you can see if you freeze frame against one of the explosions. I only have DVDs, it might show up better on HD or blu-ray.  I'm not convinced.

I started trying to watch THREADS OF DESTINY last night but gave up. Even Phantom Menace had the common sense to get into a light sabre vs. droids fight within the first five minutes but after twenty minutes this was still people yammering on about trade rights and secession and empires and republics.

What was with the fuzzy light around everybody? Is that a by-product of doing green screen stuff poorly?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

ThryllSeekyr

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 09 September, 2015, 02:05:05 PM
Something New.

As soon as I saw it I thought "Deadpool"...the author of the article seconds that, stealing my thunder.

THIS is the type of thing that I'm leery about with this film...that design is so un-Star Warsy.

Ancient Otter

They'll be shooting at Skellig Michael again soon for Episode VIII (much to the chagrin of wildlife conservation groups).

JPMaybe

Quote from: Tordelback on 09 September, 2015, 07:04:40 AM
Quote from: JPMaybe on 08 September, 2015, 05:55:19 PM
I'm fairly sure it came from the first crop of West End Games stuff that came out in the late eighties, that also gave us stuff like five-mile long Executor; X-Wing the game came out in '93.

I'm not sure it's fair to lay too much blame for the failings of the EU at WEG's feet. Role players by their nature like to/need to know how big and/or fast everything is (the better to kill or steal it) and what people/species/planets/weapons are called, and in 1987 aside from dribbles on the backs of toy packaging, the Marvel comics, a handful of novels and some bubblegum cards none of that info existed.

I'm sure no-one at WEG realised that when they were trying to populate Tatooine with NPCs as a campaign/scenario setting, or squinting at their paused VHS shot of regular Star Destroyers dwarfed by Executor, that they were laying shaky foundations for 25 years of multimedia output and countless flamewars. They were just making a (fun) game.

Yeah I see your point, but it doesn't take a genius to look at the ample shots of Death Squadron in TESB and RotJ and come up with a figure that's not off by a factor of more than two- you could do better with a tape measure held up to the screen.  Lucasfilm obviously compounded it massively by treating their stuff as in any way accurate, and passing it on to Timothy Zahn as being such.  They're obviously not responsible for book contracts being handed out to any old hack, but stuff like the Executor size SNAFU and the generally underscaled, underimaginative  stuff they churned out rankles with me particularly.
Quote from: Butch on 17 January, 2015, 04:47:33 PM
Judge Death is a serial killer who got turned into a zombie when he met two witches in the woods one day...Judge Death is his real name.
-Butch on Judge Death's powers of helmet generation

JPMaybe

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 09 September, 2015, 07:43:39 AM
Quote from: JPMaybe on 08 September, 2015, 04:18:32 PM
TIE fighters lacking shields is a product of the almost uniformly shittily written EU (ditto them not having ejector seats, even though we see a TIE-pilot ejecting in TESB).  If you look at the escape from Death Star scene, one of the TIEs appears to take several hits from the Falcon's quad guns that are dissipated harmlessly.

TIE-pilot ejecting?!  How did I miss that?  What scene in ESB was that in?

Already covered but here's a link.
Quote from: Butch on 17 January, 2015, 04:47:33 PM
Judge Death is a serial killer who got turned into a zombie when he met two witches in the woods one day...Judge Death is his real name.
-Butch on Judge Death's powers of helmet generation

radiator

Apparently it's been confirmed, well, strongly suggested (by John Landis of all people) that Disney will be releasing the original, unaltered cuts of Star Wars.

Hooray!

NapalmKev

Quote from: radiator on 19 September, 2015, 02:29:22 AM
Apparently it's been confirmed, well, strongly suggested (by John Landis of all people) that Disney will be releasing the original, unaltered cuts of Star Wars.

Hooray!

Nice. That reworked musical scene in Jabba's Palace really is a piece of Crap.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Woolly

Quote from: radiator on 19 September, 2015, 02:29:22 AM

Hooray!

They'd be daft not to.
However, I seem to remember someone saying it wouldn't happen till 2020 though, something to do with Fox still holding the distribution rights to the original release versions?

Spaceghost

I wouldn't say no to a hybrid version which left in some of the less invasive additions such as the windows in cloud city and the emperor's proper face in Empire.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

SIP

For me that's the real problem.  In my opinion a lot of the additions are good. ....stone of them not so much.  I'm happy to stock with the altered versions as no one is going to come along and make the solid judgement calls that would be required to make the "best" version of each film.

Spikes

Id be happy to get a package that included both versions.

Just a thought; As the tinkering reached insane levels, and a lot of fans felt they had to position themselves at the other end of the spectrum, if we now have a chance to get nicely scrubbed up versions of the original cuts, how much 'restoring' would be seen as permissible?
Should visible matte lines, for example, be removed, or left in the original cuts?