Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Magnetica on 27 April, 2018, 03:10:07 PMOut of interest, which volume did it appear in before?
The otherwise mostly execrable Heavy Mob.

Quote from: James Stacey on 27 April, 2018, 03:42:46 PM
The best way to do it if they chose, is do it honestly. Let the current collection be complete at 90 then offer people to continue their sub for the following 10 if they so choose. The tactic of starting the continuation volumes before the current run is complete is the thing I think hacks people off.
To be fair, they didn't do that with Dredd. We got the initial 80 before they started on 81–90. Marvel did that weird thing with the 'classics' volumes, and made a big mess that annoyed a lot of people.

Magnetica

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 April, 2018, 04:54:30 PM
Quote from: Magnetica on 27 April, 2018, 03:10:07 PMOut of interest, which volume did it appear in before?
The otherwise mostly execrable Heavy Mob.

That volume has Father Earth in it, which is a nailed on classic (dodgy retro of Bolland's art notwithstanding).

Guess that's what you mean by "most".

Apestrife

Im pretty certain itll end on 90 actually. Theyv said so, and will need material to the 2000ad collection.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Magnetica on 27 April, 2018, 05:20:18 PMGuess that's what you mean by "most".
Well, quite. The Dredd strips in that volume were fine, even though the repro of Father Earth was fairly poor. But Holocaust 12, Brit-Cit Brute and Wynter were entirely forgettable filler. Well, that's not entirely true: they weren't forgettable, because they were so awful. No-one needed to see that rubbish again.

abelardsnazz

I enjoyed Day of Chaos Aftermath, fascinating to see a variety of writers' take on Dredd and the city following Wagner's game-changer. Debris fits much better in context here than in The Heavy Mob, as when I read that I hadn't read Day of Chaos so hadn't much of a clue what was going on. Another top extension volume.

Tomontherun94

Hey all, long time lurker here, first time poster. I'm behind on my sub, had to take a break from it for a year due to reasons so I'm still around only issue 65-66.

Thing is though about 5 issues are out of stock on Hachette's site and won't be sent to me. Last delivery skipped 66 and 67 straight to 68. Tried contacting them but they just said the books will be sent out when they're back in stock. I doubt they ever will be though, especially this late in series life cycle.

Managed to grab 2 of the books on ebay and FP but the other 3 either go for crazy money or are just plain impossible to find. Has there ever been a situation like this where the books have been out of stock but later reprinted?

IndigoPrime

I suspect your best bet will be eBay and Facebook's Craigslist equivalent on mobile (which currently has a lot of people selling off Dredd).

As for 67, if you mean Insurrection and still need that, I have a slightly damaged copy that was subsequently replaced (one page got 'stuck' during printing, now has a fold across it, and would require careful trimming). However, if you want that as a 'just in case', I'm happy to send it to you for postage only.

Tomontherun94

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 30 April, 2018, 12:06:28 PM
I suspect your best bet will be eBay and Facebook's Craigslist equivalent on mobile (which currently has a lot of people selling off Dredd).

As for 67, if you mean Insurrection and still need that, I have a slightly damaged copy that was subsequently replaced (one page got 'stuck' during printing, now has a fold across it, and would require careful trimming). However, if you want that as a 'just in case', I'm happy to send it to you for postage only.
That would be fantastic, thank you so much. If you PM me your PayPal, I'll send you my details. Once again, thank you

oddballuk

Hachette has the listing up for Issue 88 - Crazy Town

Quoten a future metropolis where unemployment is near total, and boredom and despair leads to rampant criminality, many of its citizens struggle with the sheer pointlessness of their existences. To that end, entrepreneurs like the canny Otto Sump are constantly coming up with new gimmicks and crazes to capture both their customers' imaginations and their wallets. Whether it's the ugly boom or the lifestyle choice that is simping, the people of the Big Meg will do anything to escape their humdrum lives...

https://hachettepartworks.com/judge-dredd-the-mega-collection/crazy-town

Nice to Otto Sump there.

No Cam Kennedy though. I had hoped Kenny Who might make it into this volume.

Also, Pye Parr had commented on the facebook page a while back that Enceladus would make it into the extension but no Rob Williams or Henry Flint on the cover credits for this issue or Issue 90 - War on the Streets which would only leave issue 89 which I'd previously thought to be another Anderson volume including Dead End?

Tomwe

I finished Lawless this morning and am now gagging to read more. But the price of the Megazine is quite significant when compared to these books, it'll cost me around £36 to buy the back issues needed for Breaking Badrock.

With Rebellion trade 2 out in July, is that book due to include Long-Range War (which I just read) and Breaking Badrock?

IndigoPrime

Amazon reckons the page count's 128, and so it seems likely it'd be those two stories.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 30 April, 2018, 05:29:19 PM
Amazon reckons the page count's 128, and so it seems likely it'd be those two stories.

Amazon uses 128 page count as a standard. It might be right. It's just as easily wrong. I recently bought 2 Marvel omnibuses that were well over 1000 pages that were listed as 128 pages.

Trust them at your peril.

abelardsnazz

Quote from: oddballuk on 30 April, 2018, 01:17:24 PM
Hachette has the listing up for Issue 88 - Crazy Town

Quoten a future metropolis where unemployment is near total, and boredom and despair leads to rampant criminality, many of its citizens struggle with the sheer pointlessness of their existences. To that end, entrepreneurs like the canny Otto Sump are constantly coming up with new gimmicks and crazes to capture both their customers' imaginations and their wallets. Whether it's the ugly boom or the lifestyle choice that is simping, the people of the Big Meg will do anything to escape their humdrum lives...

https://hachettepartworks.com/judge-dredd-the-mega-collection/crazy-town

Nice to Otto Sump there.

No Cam Kennedy though. I had hoped Kenny Who might make it into this volume.

Also, Pye Parr had commented on the facebook page a while back that Enceladus would make it into the extension but no Rob Williams or Henry Flint on the cover credits for this issue or Issue 90 - War on the Streets which would only leave issue 89 which I'd previously thought to be another Anderson volume including Dead End?

Yay, Otto! I was hoping for Enceladus too, but I think the only slim possibility now is the final Anderson volume. Either way, the last two Dredd-centric volumes look as if they'll round off the collection with some classics.

Apestrife

Jade Falcon

Okay, finished Aftermath last night, and that was a damned satisfying volume.  To put it nicely, Mega City One really is up the crapper and I get the distinct feeling that it's never going to be the same.  If anything the population will continue to fall as the judicial system is undermanned, and the citi-def that at one time would have been an auxiliary force is more likely to turn on the Judges.

Then you've got opportunists from abroad with scores to settle, whether it's Banana City, the Sov Block or whatever.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov