Main Menu

Prog 2121 - One Man's Stand

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 02 March, 2019, 12:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: 73north on 03 March, 2019, 06:53:21 PM
a new epidode of Johnny Alpha please > ? >

Who would you suggest is going to draw that...?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Andy Lambert

For what it's worth, I think Mr McNeil himself would be great on Strontium Dog...

Dark Jimbo

Yup, no contest - has to be Macneil.
@jamesfeistdraws

Jim_Campbell

I'd be very surprised if Colin wanted to do it, and equally surprised if John wanted to write it.

jabish

I really hope they don't do more Strontium Dog unless John Wagner wants to. I was very moved to hear Matt Smith say on the thrillcast that they may not do any more SD after Carlos passed. Great respect there.

broodblik

We might see Strontium Dog but not with Johnny Alpha. Maybe another character or rather with new characters.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: jabish on 04 March, 2019, 09:34:00 AM
I really hope they don't do more Strontium Dog unless John Wagner wants to.

They absolutely won't. It's all down to John, at this point.
@jamesfeistdraws

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: broodblik on 04 March, 2019, 01:09:23 PM
We might see Strontium Dog but not with Johnny Alpha. Maybe another character or rather with new characters.

That wasn't regarded as a resounding success the last time they tried it.

73north

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 03 March, 2019, 10:50:00 PM
Quote from: 73north on 03 March, 2019, 06:53:21 PM
a new epidode of Johnny Alpha please > ? >

Who would you suggest is going to draw that...?
Simon Coleby would be my top pick .

broodblik

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 March, 2019, 01:16:02 PM
Quote from: broodblik on 04 March, 2019, 01:09:23 PM

That wasn't regarded as a resounding success the last time they tried it.

Yes true, it was very lack-luster but hopefully they can get it right.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richard

I'm not interested in Strontium Dog without Johnny Alpha.

If Wagner wants to write another one, then I will be delighted to read it.

I don't see anything disrespectful about using another artist.

metcalfecarr

Is the shorter prog to make it easier to resize for the US market?
Dave Metcalfe-Carr

Leigh S

I think it would make it worse, being squater - looks more like a mistake to me, but we will get confirmatiuon at some point I'm sure - didn't David Bishop once save 1,000s by pulling a similar slicing trick?

As for Stront, it's for sure I only want to see it again if Wagner wants to write it again - not interested in anyone elses attempts (outside of DogBreeath obvs!) in the world or character - last time, Johnny had been removed from the table, so at least they could go forward in that vein (well, they could have...)

Here we have an active Johnny, who is pretty much Top Dog by dint of having set up and kind of running the new incarnation of the SD agency.  I can't see how you could reasonably take another mutant and have him not encounter Alpha in the current continuity.

All that said, if Wagner does one day come round to the idea of more Stront, Colin MacNeil is a huge fan and absolutely perfect for that role  I donlt see it though - I've never got the sense John had "plans" for Alpha - he was working from story to story - if he had an end game in mind for the strip, it would be  shame to never see that, but I don't think that's how Wagner works.

MacabreMagpie

The digital version has more space above the 2000AD logo than the printed edition so I'd assume it's just an error on the trim for some.

As other's have said, great cover debut from the mighty Austin droid!

broodblik

Great cover and a very enjoyable prog. MacNeil/Blythe art on Dredd is just exquisite.