Main Menu

After Day of Chaos - Judge manpower query

Started by Hap Hazzard, 16 September, 2012, 08:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minkyboy

Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

Cactus

Quote from: Minkyboy on 17 September, 2012, 01:27:47 PM
Quote from: Durham_Reds_G_String on 17 September, 2012, 11:50:09 AM
(or even Dredd having to bite his tongue and be diplomatic).

Not gonna happen!
Stab him in the neck. That shut him up for a few days last time.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

Kudos

Not sure if this the right thread but seeing as a post DOC world is being discussed I might as well say it here.

For several weeks I've I've been thinking about the post DOC city and what it might be like. Lots on people on here seem to be doing the same. It would be nice is some of the stuff people here are pondering was actually discussed or mentioned in the comic. I feel a distinct lack of any follow up to any of DOC. In the couple of months since the event not a single story has done more than pay lip service or give the barest of head nods to the disaster and apart from one wedged in line in one prog most have not acknowledged it at all. I really feels like most of the writers have really dropped the ball on really exploring any of the effects or ramifications of the disaster. Each week I read the prog reviews thread and see comment like "Doesn't feel post DOC at all" or "Perfunctory nod to DOC" and I wonder when the writers are going to start engaging the event.

The events of DOC caused a fundamental change in Dredd, in the city, the Justice Dept, the citizenry and even possibly the world. After the story concluded there were so many possible directions to take it. That this direction seems to be mostly business as usual has been really, really disappointing.

SmallBlueThing

Thing is, *DID* Day of Chaos change anything? From the eveidence in the prog, surely the answer is 'mostly no'. We've seen the statue of judgement lying in ruins- but is that 'canon'? (after all, the strip features cf as dredd- surely that fires the canon straight away, unless we missed a 'hottie house seige' story where the only solution was for old stoney face to eat the evidence!)

All the evidence of the progs post CoD suggests CoD didnt happen. Could it have been the figment of someone's imagination? Or- could editorial have possibly dropped the ball and as weeks go on we'll start to see the devastation gradually incorporated. Maybe John Wanger didnt tell anyone how DoC ended til too late, and no one could possibly have guessed he was going to cripple his city so spectacularly? Certainly, there were far too many cits in Chris Western's prog 1800 story, considering mc1 now has a population fewer than britain. Im not complaining in that instance though, because anything he wants to draw is fine by me.
SBT

opaque

Quote from: Kudos on 18 September, 2012, 08:54:43 AM
In the couple of months since the event not a single story has done more than pay lip service or give the barest of head nods to the disaster and apart from one wedged in line in one prog most have not acknowledged it at all. I really feels like most of the writers have really dropped the ball on really exploring any of the effects or ramifications of the disaster. Each week I read the prog reviews thread and see comment like "Doesn't feel post DOC at all" or "Perfunctory nod to DOC" and I wonder when the writers are going to start engaging the event.

The events of DOC caused a fundamental change in Dredd, in the city, the Justice Dept, the citizenry and even possibly the world. After the story concluded there were so many possible directions to take it. That this direction seems to be mostly business as usual has been really, really disappointing.

I agree (especially the impact on the wider world as I mention above) but I think the point is that it's been no time atall really since it happened, all that stuff will be coming. Well it'd better be! ;)
Business as usual has to be addressed though as for all those who survived it IS business as usual, in fact it's probably worse! Things don't stop just because 250 million people are dead. It just adds to the issues they have to deal with. The policy in this weeks prog makes perfect sense.

We are missing scale though, the way so many people were wiped out in practically one panel was pretty week. Think back to Necropolis or Judgement Day where much much smaller numbers had a bigger impact (70million dead, pah!). I think it's all coming in time though, this is a massive turning point.

James Stacey

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 18 September, 2012, 09:15:16 AM
Maybe John Wanger didnt tell anyone how DoC ended til too late, and no one could possibly have guessed he was going to cripple his city so spectacularly?
John has said he wasn't aware himself how far the destruction was heading till he wrote it. I'm guessing with the lead time needed for new strips, the 'nods' have been possibly editorially added up till now until writers (like Mr Carroll with Debris) catch up.

Kudos

Quote from: James Stacey on 18 September, 2012, 09:24:39 AM
Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 18 September, 2012, 09:15:16 AM
Maybe John Wanger didnt tell anyone how DoC ended til too late, and no one could possibly have guessed he was going to cripple his city so spectacularly?
John has said he wasn't aware himself how far the destruction was heading till he wrote it. I'm guessing with the lead time needed for new strips, the 'nods' have been possibly editorially added up till now until writers (like Mr Carroll with Debris) catch up.

I hope this is the case. I've been kinda thinking this is what has happened and waiting for the other shoe to drop and the post DOC world really start to come to the fore.