Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Professor Bear

Only quitters stop watching something because it is terrible.  I remember I gave Clone Wars at least a full season after it became unbearable before I actually stopped watching it - I'm a trooper, me.

Anyway, because it is vaguely relevant to the conversation about watching something even if you think it's terrible, I started watching Space Precinct halfway through an episode of Walking Dead - specifically that episode where Egg and a pirate were going ARR at each other in a room - and I just finished watching the entirety of SP and while it is not good, the scale of the modelwork gives it a lot of charm that a similar show made today with CGI wouldn't have, and the really terrible dialog and acting works remarkably well if read as deliberate parody so I am going to go ahead and say without irony or sarcasm that although Ted Shackelford is no Bruce Boxleitner, Space Precinct is better than Babylon 5.  The effects work on the creatures is occasionally impressive and throws up how reliant US sci-fi is on cgi that something like SP couldn't be made too readily these days as a lot of on-set SFX rather than post-production work would be required, which is a shame as there's a real weight and depth to some of the shots that you just can't get with CGI, and the overhead views of the city at night as viewed through the clouds is still particularly impressive and ambitious even today.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 03 April, 2013, 07:09:28 PM
Quote from: radiator on 03 April, 2013, 07:05:38 PM
Why are you watching it if you don't like it?
Masochism?

I think I'm just loathe to admit its growing on me. I have chuckled quietly on a couple of occasions.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 03 April, 2013, 10:06:41 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 03 April, 2013, 07:09:28 PM
Quote from: radiator on 03 April, 2013, 07:05:38 PM
Why are you watching it if you don't like it?
Masochism?

I think I'm just loathe to admit its growing on me. I have chuckled quietly on a couple of occasions.
I can get you some cream for that. ;)

Dandontdare

15 new episodes of Arrested Development to be released simultaneously on Netflix on 26 May! woohoo!

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/arrested-development-return-date-confirmed-by-net/305438

Spikes

Been after these for absolutely ages, but was always put off by the high prices they went for. But recently somebody had them listed on E-Bay for what amounted to £11.00 each. Thank you very much.  :thumbsup:

Three series - twelve discs in total. Thats my viewing sorted out for a good while.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Judge Jack on 08 April, 2013, 07:06:44 PM

Been after these for absolutely ages, but was always put off by the high prices they went for. But recently somebody had them listed on E-Bay for what amounted to £11.00 each. Thank you very much.  :thumbsup:

Three series - twelve discs in total. Thats my viewing sorted out for a good while.
Top stuff! :D

Link Prime

Quote from: Judge Jack on 08 April, 2013, 07:06:44 PM

I've never seen a single minute of this JJ, despite hearing so much about it.
Give us a review when you're finished!

HdE

I've been watching the complete run of 'Alias' starring Jennifer Garner...

WHYYYYYY??? It's TERRIBLE! The writing on this show is SOOOOOO CRAAAAAP!!! Somebody shoot me! PLEASE!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

von Boom

Quote from: HdE on 09 April, 2013, 08:14:31 PM

WHYYYYYY??? It's TERRIBLE! The writing on this show is SOOOOOO CRAAAAAP!!! Somebody shoot me! PLEASE!

BANG!

radiator

Working our way through Mad Men season 4 now, picked up seasons 1-5 for £50, well worth it.

It goes without saying really, but it really deserves its reputation. Excellent TV, Don Draper is such a compelling character.

Link Prime

Quote from: radiator on 09 April, 2013, 08:32:01 PM
Working our way through Mad Men season 4 now, picked up seasons 1-5 for £50, well worth it.

It goes without saying really, but it really deserves its reputation. Excellent TV, Don Draper is such a compelling character.

Better book the morning off work and get cramming Radiator, season 6 starting tomorrow night...

radiator

Ah, if I time it right we'll have season 5 wrapped up just in time to be able to watch all of season 6 back to back.

I think these really involved shows that have a huge casts of characters work so much better watched that way instead of watching week to week.

Spikes

Quote from: Link Prime on 09 April, 2013, 08:04:48 PM
I've never seen a single minute of this JJ, despite hearing so much about it.
Give us a review when you're finished!

No probs!
Personally, i love it. But then im a sucker for owt post-Apocalyptic. And my home town gets a couple of mentions - which seemed a big deal at the time!

For those that havent seen it before, itll probably seem tame, or slow going by today standards, but it has much to recommend it (and of course the BBC re-made the series a few years ago - which got cancelled after the 2nd series), but there's plenty of clips/full episodes of the original run posted up on You-Tube that you can check out, Rich.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: HdE on 09 April, 2013, 08:14:31 PM

I can never tell when you young things are being sarcastic.  This is a joke, right? First couple of seasons I've seen have been aces.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!