Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 04 September, 2014, 07:25:51 PM
The Wire lasted 15 minutes in our house. I don't have time to waste on "getting through the first season" of a programme. Sorry.

Maybe give Farscape & Buffy a miss so!  ;)

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

Rude as HECK

Been binging on Seinfeld recently. Hell of a sitcom.  A few too many filler episodes, but sometimes the plots are so vapid you barely notice them, so you sort of just pass over 'em.

von Boom

Just about to finish rewatching Only Fools and Horses. So much funny.

I, Cosh

The Wire lasted 15 minutes in our house. I don't have time to waste on "getting through the first season" of a programme. Sorry.
Fair enough, but I usually give it a whole episode.

This Judge Dredd is a lot of pish. He didn't even investigate that crime which was shown in graphic detail on the first page.

Yes he did. In fact that formed the plot of the whole story.

Who has time to turn pages?
We never really die.

Frank

The Wire lasted 15 minutes in our house

The episodes are usually longer than that - did you have it on fast forward by mistake? That'll be why you didn't enjoy it.

Devons Daddy

BUFFY GREAT!!

shall get the  full season now, as i recognise it has far more depth.
was good bright colourful subplots of a deeper nature brought to closure or torn open.

was good use of my time to enjoy.

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Theblazeuk

After finishing off the John Lithgow series of Dexter, I don't think I'll be looking back in again.

Now it's on to Utopia proper, which 3 episodes in is rather special. Nice to see Faisal from Four Lions again. It's nice to hear all those lovely accents on screen - shame Smiley didn't stick around.

Professor Bear

On any other show but Star Trek Voyager, the producer sleeping with an actress whose character came to dominate the show she only joined in its fourth season would have been seen as a conflict of interest, or at the very least a HR lecture waiting to happen, but luckily for all concerned, any potential Voyager had to move Trek forwards had already been quashed and it had outed itself as an old-fashioned and conservative-to-a-fault show, so no-one really gave two fucks about some barely-watched tv show about robots and lasers pushing yet another watered-down version of Spock to prominence in an attempt to appeal to nerds, lurching her around onscreen in an utterly ridiculous glittering catsuit that would have looked stupid in an episode of Buck Rogers in the 25th Century as she declared people's emotions illogical/inefficient - though it really is hilarious how blatantly Seven of Nine comes to overshadow everything to the point that the rest of the cast look like troopers for putting up with being reduced to guest-stars in their own show for the rest of its run.  Even funnier is trying to imagine someone with a straight face telling a meeting of tv network executives that what their show needed to take from the Borg was a big-breasted Mr Data impersonator, and not a horde of unstoppable robot space zombies who'd just starred in the most successful Star Trek movie of all time.
There are a couple of good episodes in the season 3-4 run I've caught in the last few weeks, particularly that one where we find out that Janeway is stalked by the actual honest-to-goodness Grim Reaper, but there are far more stinkers, especially that space-rape episode with - obviously - Seven of Nine discovering that even in the 24th century, suppressed memories are a confidence trick invented by the psychiatric industry, and that women aren't bothered by finding out they've been molested until Social Justice Warriors convince them to kick up a fuss.  Thanks for giving the Trek mythology that, Voyager.

Also Star Trek Continues, a Kickstarter-funded fan production based on the original series featuring a damn-near perfect Kirk from prolific anime voice-over artist Vic Mignogna, although bizarrely his voice is the weakest link in the chain.  Apart from that, his mannerisms and delivery are classic Shatner and the rest of the cast vary between good and Not So Good, with the odd bit of stunt casting of Trek fans like Erin Grey, that bloke who played Apollo on the Battlestar Galactica remake, the son of the bloke who played Scotty in the original Trek series (here playing Scotty, naturally), and computer voices provided by Mr Worf and Counselor Troi from Star Trek: the Next Generation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G-ziTBAkbQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mOpmIFTxkE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJf2ovQtI6w
The worst of the three episodes produced so far is Lolani, but even in its failure it's magnificent, because it's still a perfect reproduction of the failure of Trek at its most preachy and thus has nostalgia value.  It's a talky episode about the responsibility not to interfere in the ways of other cultures and the evils of slavery that not only dispels the ludicrous after-the-fact justification of later shows like Enterprise for the existence of slaves in Trek's supposed utopian future by suggesting that slave women willingly give themselves into bonded servitude, but it has Lou Ferrigno playing an Orion slave-master - yes, that's right, Lou Fucking Ferrigno in green body paint - and if that's not enough for you, then dammit, you're made of stone.
The best episode is far and away Fairest Of Them All, a direct sequel to the original Mirror Universe story that sees the (Evil) Spock in a power struggle with (Evil) Kirk for control of the (Ambivalent) Enterprise, complete with ham-fisted Kirk/Spock fight scenes filmed in Dutch Angles, and is pretty much perfect except for maybe one or two effects shots being too good, especially that wide-angle shot of the Enterprise shuttle bay near the end.
Yes, it is exactly the kind of thing they invented the term "fan wank" for, but when it's better than the fan wank being produced by the people who actually make Star Trek tv shows and movies, why worry?

Dandontdare

Another eloquent review, oh ursine one.

I had no idea that Jeri Ryan was bonking the producer, but it does explain an awful lot. I'll have to check out that other one - sounds like my kinda fanwank.

Frank

Quote from: Bear McBear on 30 September, 2014, 02:45:48 PM
Star Trek Continues, a Kickstarter-funded fan production based on the original series ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G-ziTBAkbQ

That really is uncanny, and getting Seth McFarlane to play Scotty is quite a coup.

TordelBack

Star Trek Continues is amazing. So easy to slip into the fantasy that you're watching a Season 4 that you somehow missed.  As the Bear says, even its shortcomings just enhance the illusion. 

Grugz

walking dead...again and series 4 gets on demand tomorrow so while the kids at school I can zombie away to my hearts content...
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Tiplodocus

COMMUNITY

Was this ever shown on normal telly? It's brilliant stuff playing too and subverting tropes in equal measure with fantastically bonkers, utterly flawed but still just about likeable characters, some genius gags and enough smart one liners to last you a lifetime.

Just finished season 3. Have crush on[spoiler] Dean Pelton[/spoiler]
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 30 September, 2014, 10:41:27 PM
COMMUNITY

Was this ever shown on normal telly?
Yeah. It's one of those programmes like Curb Your Enthusiasm that Guardian reviewers and the very occasional real person who actually watched it go bonkers about.

Never seen an episode myself. Doubt I ever will.
We never really die.