Main Menu

VOTE FOR THE 2011 COVER OF THE YEAR!

Started by Pete Wells, 11 December, 2011, 10:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

This is incredibly difficult. There are at least five others that I wish I could choose.

My favourite is Prog 1755, the Cliff Robinson lawgiver. So simple.

Second, I've placed Prog 1737, because I love every mark that Sean Phillips has ever made on a page.

Third, I'm going for D'Israeli's great work for Prog 1752.

- Trout

WhizzBang

Taryn Tailz

1. 1730 - Dandridge - Henry Flint. Absolutly loved it, easily my favourite of the year. Although I can't help feel it looks quite Christmassy for some reason.  :lol:

2. 1737 - Anderson - Sean Philips.

3. 1732 - Absalom - Tiernan Travillion.

Old Tankie

1730 is not by Henry Flint, it's by Jon Davis-Hunt!

Tweak72

1st 1752 Low Life D'Israeli. A classic cover based on classic art. Stunning.

2nd 1729 Flesh James Mackay. Stood out from all the other mags on the shelf in WH Smiths, Victoria. School kids were staring at it as I read it on the way to work. May have introduced some new readers to thrill power.

3rd 1724 Flesh Liam Sharp. Liam F*ckin' Sharp Wrap around cover! Nuff said.

Brilliant year all round.

Special mention:
Simon Davis for completing the Awesome Ampney Crucis quadtych
Close to making it:
1727 Shakara by Henry Flint
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

Albion

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Pete Wells

Quote from: Old Tankie on 11 December, 2011, 04:46:30 PM
1730 is not by Henry Flint, it's by Jon Davis-Hunt!

Yeah I know. I've cocked up twice on my pictures, this one and Cliff's Red Seas one. I assure you these were errors in my Photosoppery and not my covers knowledge!

Old Tankie

You're forgiven Pete  :)  Absolutely love Cover of the Year - you're doing a grand job.

BPP

1st Place - 3 points - 1727 - Henry Flint. - super smart design wins the day.
2nd Place - 2 points - 1729 - James MacKay - Gert big monster - its all about those evil eyes looking at YOU
3rd Place - 1 point - 1763 - Henry Flint - impossible not to smile at that Dredd. He's 70 and still better than you.

Honourable mentions to - 1762 (Angel Zero - Lee Garbett) which would have nipped 3rd but there does seem to be a perspective problem with her location / their gaze. Great use of colour tho, totally rocks as a cover. Also an honourable mention to 1720 (Necrophim - Steve Ellis) which looked great and contained more dynamism and energy than the entire 2.5 series of the story. In fact that should be the US trade cover and Tharg would shift loads of them. A seriously good cover and I hope we'll see more of that Ellis chap. Finally the Frazer Dante cover, the Robinson 'Brainbloom' Dredd cover and the first Absalom cover are all totally lush. Damm it a top 3 isn't enough!
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Emperor

Another fine crop of covers and another bloody difficult choice:

#1: 1752 - D'Israeli, Dirty Frank. Always a good combination for a vote from me and the referencing and ideas crammed in there, as well as the finished work has to be my #1.

#2: 1724 - Liam Sharp, Flesh. I knew this was a contender as soon as I saw it and it stayed in my top three all year.

#3: 1760 - Chris Weston, Indigo Prime. Brought a nostalgic tear to my eye (more Chris Weston on IP please if only a one-off prequel to the next IP trade to ease new readers into Dead Eyes?) and I love the way he channeled a serious Old School vibe too.

I agree with Tweak72, an honourable mention should go to the Daivs droid as the set of those Ampney Crucis covers is brilliant (pity it makes picking one difficult).
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

colonel_sponsz

• 1752 (I have this up on my wall at work)

radiator

Very, very tough - had to whittle down a shortlist of 8 and I could easily swap out these for another three.

I'd have to go for:

3rd place: 1724 - Flesh

2nd place: 1734 - Anderson

1st place: 1750 - Dredd

Colin YNWA

As its been for the last few years incredibly difficult, but I'm just going to go for it otherwise I'd be dilly dallying for an age. So here we go.

1. 1725: Just the crazy summation of the series as a whole in one awe inspiring cover.
2. 1734: Such a striking image
3. 1724: DINOSAURS!!!!

If we can have an HM as in the art comp I'll go with 1720 it fair pops off the page.

Pete Wells

Right I'll throw my hat in. It's really hard as I've contacted each of these artists over the year and all but two have been kind enough to send me some absolutely mind blowing art. Once again I'd like to thank them all. Here we go then:

1 - 1763 Henry Flint's Burning Dredd (a stunning year for Henry for covers.)

2 - 1751 I'm with Mrs Tharg in choosing SB Davis' beautiful Angel Zero cover. The classiest cover I've ever seen.

3 - 1750 Speaking of class, Greg Staples' brilliant wraparound for this prog was wonderful. I loved it 'cos it told a little story and just looked as cool as owt...

So that's my votes. I've got to say though, I could have easily put any D'Isreali cover in there, any of Cliff Robinson's Dredds, any more of Henry Flint's, John Davis Hunt's, Liam Sharp's, Garry Brown's Anderson, THAT Weston cover and loads of Clint Langleys too. We are SO lucky!

The Adventurer

1. 1727 - Shakara - Henry Flint
2. 1735 - Dante - Simon Frasier
3. 1762 - Angel Zero - Lee Garbett

Many many others that were great

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK