Main Menu

A message from the writer of STALAG 666

Started by Tony_Lee, 22 October, 2008, 10:25:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastguardjackuk

Also, my 9 year old son has just caught me writing the post I put on a couple of minutes ago. (He is a big fan of 2000ad as well) and I have just explained exactly what this is all about and he has asked me to post another message to tell you that Stalag 666 is his favourite current thrill and to carry on writing the great stories. From Tommy (postcardjackuk's son)
Building up a nice crust since 1969...

Old Tankie

Quote from: "Pete Wells"Aw man, that Brand and Wossy thing is getting so out of hand. Yes, it was ill advised and very stupid (but I'll admit very funny) but you'd think they murdered Andrew Sachs the way some of the media are going on!

Would you think it was so funny if they were talking about your daughter or grand-daughter?

Judge MANSON

Hi Tony!

I'm really disgusting by the comportment of a called "reader". If he/she didn't like your story, then he/she didn't read it at all and said it on a forum. As you said, free country, free speech.

But this, it's a total lack of respect of a human being, you. I hope you will go to the Police and give them this piece of trash and that they will catch him/her. A human being can't be apologized with such an act against an another human being. Never.

You are not a bad writer. I assure you. I discover your work with my first subscription issue of 2000 AD, the # 1606. I was, in some ways, "chocked" by the base of the story and I will tell you why. But, I am scotched to the events and I want to know what the hero will do - the end climax of issue # 1010 is, wow!!!!! I didn't like very much the art, for me, to my only eyes, it lacks some precisions (or what I may called "dirty tracks").
It's a clear line drawing, like the French/Belgium comic book schools and I have never catch the feeling with it. But I read the stories done in this way.
The most important part of a comic book is its story. You can have the best art, if the story is weak, nothing can be done to put this story on the chart.
Your story is strong, I read on the forum that it wasn't written at its base for a 5 pages strip but for a much longer approach. So, what's the problem with this? We stock 2000 AD issues then we read "Stalag 666" on a single way. No matter the decoupage of the story. Is it so hard to understand? Maybe for amoeba brain readers...

I hope that there will be a second part, that the Terran Forces will kick the butt of these snakes and these "Mussolinis" human traitors!

Now, I will explain you why I was first chocked by this story. It's about the context. A camp for prisoners as the Old Continent have seen in its horribly hours. I'm living in France and it's in our culture to be against this. They are bad memories. And my family paid the price. A great uncle of mine was prisoner in a camp where the Nazis have practiced experimentations on human living bodies. He was freed at the Liberation but marked for his entire life to his death. And I was marked too by his story.

It was my first and only bad impression of the "Stalag 666" strip. And the only one. I have made my reflexions and I cut the real history of man from a creative history from a writer. There is a separation between history and creativity.
And I'm no more chocked by "Stalag 666".

So, keep going to write "Stalag 666" story(ies - I want a second part, do not forget it !!! :mrgreen: )!!!!!

I'm with you buddy!!

Best regards,
Fred MANSON

PS: sorry if my English is not so developed, I'm lacking experience... I want to live in England!!!!!
Respect the Law, Citizen! Rebel and you will pray Mercy to my gun!

Judge MANSON

Oops! I should have read the complete thread!
You have gone to the Police, it's GREAT! And with these IP addresses, it will be easy to find the origin point.

And you will present us, true readers, your new work on the December Meg? It's Christmas before Christmas!!!!
I can't wait to put my hands on the Meg and devour it!!!!!

Keep going Man!!! You do a great job: entertainment for others, it's a real great job!!!

Best regards,
Fred MANSON
Respect the Law, Citizen! Rebel and you will pray Mercy to my gun!

Adrian Bamforth

Hi Tony, another latecomer to the thread.

So sorry for what has happened to you. With that kind of lack of intelligence and social inentitude I think it could just as easily have happened to any of us and it was just you who were the unlucky one...or, as a new writer, 'easy game'.

School bullies and bigots are generally those who are such low achievers they have to find someone, anyone, they can percieve as somehow lower than themselves to see themselves as anything other than the bottom of the heap.

I'll be happy to one day end up drawing one of your scripts.

Once again, Bart Simpson said it best:

Comic Book Guy: "Last night's Itchy & Scratchy was, without a doubt, the worst episode ever. Rest assured that I was on internet within minutes registering my disgust throughout the world."

Bart Simpson: "What? They've given you thousands of hours of entertainment for free. What could they possibly owe you? I mean, if anything, you owe them."

ADE

Pete Wells

QuoteWould you think it was so funny if they were talking about your daughter or grand-daughter?

Hey Tankie, I said it was stupid and ill advised! However, the hysteria it's causing is ridiculous. Bloody David Cameron and the PM are getting involved now. Amazing, haven't they got more important things to be getting on with?

Matt Timson

Quote from: "Proudhuff"
Quote from: "Pete Wells"Aw man, that Brand and Wossy thing is getting so out of hand. Yes, it was ill advised and very stupid (but I'll admit very funny) but you'd think they murdered Andrew Sachs the way some of the media are going on!

bet his granddaughter is mortified, a silly schoolboy prank on some midnight show that no many people hear or cared about is now on every news channel ...  for the rest of her days the first question she'll get is 'Well did he?'

A burlesque dancer/sometime glamour model that's part of an outfit called "The Satanic Sluts".  Yes, I bet she's just dying of shame.  More like she can't believe her luck- hello Heat magazine, hello page 3, hello the attention she's obviously already after...

"Ooh Russell, we must shag- but you absolutely must not tell my Grandfather, Andrew Sachs, who was Manuel in Fawlty Towers.  Remember now- that's Andrew Sachs.  Don't tell him- right?"

:roll:
Pffft...

Old Tankie

Hi Pete

I totally agree with you, it's pathetic that Cameron and Brown are getting involved, you'd think they'd have their minds on other things!!  However, I think that Brand and Ross are both tossers for causing distress to an old man and his grand-daughter.

House of Usher

Quote from: "postcardjackuk"As long as you remember that for 99.999999999% of us, even with a story we might not like we have nothing but respect and admiration for someone who gets something published in 2000ad.
Well, that's overstating it a bit. Frances Lynn got a Future Shock published, and I've no respect or admiration for her whatsoever.

Quote from: "Old Tankie"Would you think it was so funny if they were talking about your daughter or grand-daughter?
Hey, don't cry none for Georgina Baille. From what I gather she's not denying anything; she's mostly upset on her grandfather's behalf and a bit mad at Russell Brand because they're supposed to be mates and he's upsetting her grandad. It's not as if he's done her reputation any harm, and if anything this whole business has raised her profile. I for one would be glad of the opportunity to see her in the guise of 'Voluptua' performing with 'Satanic Sluts'. I should get round to checking out her MySpace page, but I'm not the sort of person to get round to checking out MySpace pages. I leave that sort of thing to the young people.
STRIKE !!!

Old Tankie

Hey, Ush

I'm afraid I'm giving my age away here, didn't have a clue that the grand-daughter was a "name", never heard of her or her group, so maybe I shouldn't feel sorry for her, but, hey, give me something, I have heard of Andrew Sachs and I know he's an old man and probably didn't want this.

Pete Wells

Hey Tankie, just so you're a bit more informed (and not at all 'cos she's got one of ta-ta's out) here's the girl in question.

//http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1081087/Meet-Voluptua-burlesque-dancer-goth-centre-BBC-radio-prank.html

Sorry for de-railing the Stalag thread, folks!

lborl

In my dream world, I too am a fledgling comics writer: it's only the tedious reality barrier of having to think up some decent stories and also learn how to write them properly that's getting in the way. And my own laziness. I think, perhaps mistakenly, that a lot of us here have similar dreams. So it's disturbing to have that dream world darkened by the thought that this kind of thing might be waiting for us. That was my selfish first thought.

My second is this: the sender of that letter is clearly mentally ill, and perhaps is going through a breakdown of some kind. That doesn't mean he isn't also a twat: I'm not particularly calling for sympathy for him. I'm just saying it's fairly likely that before too long he'll do something in public that gets him noticed and landed in gaol or hospital. Perhaps he'll start ripping up comics in WH Smiths, or kick off in a cinema or something. He'll out himself eventually. I work with mentally ill people - at the soft rehabilitative end of it, mind, where they've done their prison/hospital time, have proper psychiatric attention,  take their medication regularly and are trying to build acceptable lives again - but knowing some of their back stories I feel I have some idea what I'm talking about here. Even if I've phrased it very, very badly.

Obviously I hope this never happens to anybody ever again. It's probably redundant after 7 pages of similar comments to add that I also enjoy Stalag 666 - personally I prefer standalone stories to the recurring series in 2000ad, as that's when it feels like a proper anthology, and that I'm getting something 'new'.

I feel I should add a gesture of support for Jon Davis-Hunt though, who let us not forget is a young newcomer to the comic himself. A lot of people seem to be saying they only dislike Stalag because of the artwork, to the point where if I were Jon reading this thread I'd be feeling pretty depressed right now. I think his detractors should look back on Tempest, and maybe at his website, to see exactly what his strengths are: monsters, robots and vehicles. Sure, his anatomy is a sometimes a little off, and there's the odd continuity lapse, but to me, his clean designs for those compare with Katsuhiro Otomo's. To be fair, he hasn't had much scope for that in the necessarily confined environs of the strip so far.

But check out his Spiderman pin-up. And this:

Old Tankie

TordelBack

I think everyone is very aware of Jon's work on Tempest (surely one of the most well-received Dreddworld stories to appear in the Meg), which was wonderfully fresh, but there's no harm in adding to the love.  That was a very useful post lborl - a disturbing number of us on this forum have had some brush with mental illness, in however mild a form, this poster included, but it's still very hard to understand this kind of behaviour.

TordelBack

Aaaargh, double post.  @Pete and Tankie, while that is one very fine looking young lady with a professional stance of which I heartily approve, the Brand/Ross issue is surely about leaving endless abusive voicemail on an 80-year old man's phone.  That the man gave us one of the all-time great comic characters only adds to the sense of personal affront.  That and the fact that Brand and Ross are knobs of distinct but unmistakable flavours.