Main Menu

Full creative line-ups for 'Wednesday Comics'

Started by Colin YNWA, 21 April, 2009, 03:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Now it would seem that no one is interested in Wednesday Comics, aside from me and Richard Field. Well at least not interested enough to talk about it here. That said I've never been one to take a hint so I'm going to try one last time to generate some discussion on this.

Why the persistence. Well its simply that I think this is the most exciting looking thing to come out of the American comics industry in an age.

So have a look at this full list of series and creators from the DC July solicitations and tell me that 'Wednesday Comics' doesn't look like its going to be AMAZING!

• BATMAN, WEDNESDAY COMICS' weekly cover feature, by the Eisner Award-winning 100 BULLETS team of writer Brian Azzarello and artist Eduardo Risso
• ADAM STRANGE, by writer/artist Paul Pope (BATMAN: YEAR 100)
• METAMORPHO, written by New York Times best-selling writer Neil Gaiman with Art by Eisner Award-winner Michael Allred (Madman)
• THE DEMON AND CATWOMAN, written by Walter Simonson (Thor, MANHUNTER) with Art by famed DC cover artist Brian Stelfreeze
• DEADMAN, written by Dave Bullock and Vinton Heuck, Art by Dave Bullock
• KAMANDI, written by Dave Gibbons (WATCHMEN, GREEN LANTERN CORPS) with Art by Ryan Sook (Buffy The Vampire Slayer, ARKHAM ASYLUM: LIVING HELL)
• SUPERMAN, written by John Arcudi (The Mask) with Art by Lee Bermejo (JOKER)
• WONDER WOMAN, written and illustrated by Ben Caldwell (Dare Detectives)
• GREEN LANTERN, written by Kurt Busiek (TRINITY, ASTRO CITY) with Art by Joe Quiñones (TEEN TITANS GO!)
• TEEN TITANS, written by Eddie Berganza with Art by Sean Galloway
• SUPERGIRL, written by Jimmy Palmiotti (JONAH HEX) with Art by Amanda Conner (POWER GIRL)
• HAWKMAN, written and illustrated by Kyle Baker (PLASTIC MAN, Special Forces)
• SGT. ROCK, written by Adam Kubert (SUPERMAN: LAST SON), ilustrated by legendary comics artist Joe Kubert
• THE FLASH, written by Karl Kerschl (TEEN TITANS YEAR ONE, THE FLASH: THE FASTEST MAN ALIVE) and Brenden Fletcher, illustrated by Karl Kerschl
• METAL MEN, written by Dan DiDio with Art by Ian Churchill (SUPERGIRL)

WEDNESDAY COMICS will arrive in stores folded twice to 7" x 10", with the first issue set to reach stores on July 8.
•   DC Universe, 16pg $3.99 US

As if that wasn't enough have a look at the preview art here:

//http://dcublog.dccomics.com/2009/04/17/did-you-think-wed-stop-with-one-wednesday-comics-tease/

and here

//http://dcublog.dccomics.com/2009/04/16/get-your-first-look-at-wednesday-comics/

Come on, stuff this good got to be worth getting excited about. Hasn't it????

Tiplodocus

So, like, what does Wednesday have to do with it?

And what does double folded mean?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Ignatzmonster

Quote from: "Tiplodocus"So, like, what does Wednesday have to do with it?

The project is inspired by the old Sunday comics that would show up in the newspaper. The Wed in title is due to the fact that in the States we get our new comics Wednesday.  I think, I'm not certain, the double folded means the comic because it's so large it will be folded twice to fit into whatever packaging it ships in.

Quote from: "Godpleton"Are these all self-contained?

They don't relate to continuity if that's what you mean.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: "Ignatzmonster"
Quote from: "Tiplodocus"So, like, what does Wednesday have to do with it?

The project is inspired by the old Sunday comics that would show up in the newspaper. The Wed in title is due to the fact that in the States we get our new comics Wednesday.  I think, I'm not certain, the double folded means the comic because it's so large it will be folded twice to fit into whatever packaging it ships in.

Quote from: "Godpleton"Are these all self-contained?

They don't relate to continuity if that's what you mean.

Yeah that's spot on each page of the comic will be four times the size of a regular American comicbook page, so the art work in the samples will be massive and hold a lot of story. The comic will be double folded so it can fit on the shelves with the regular comics, this also harks back to the old newspaper sections.

Each story will be in 12 parts and be completely self contained, with  beginning middle and end and out of continuity.

TordelBack

Soooo... did anyone lay hands on one of these last week?  I certainly didn't see one, if they arrived in Dublin at all.  This move towards big  weekly comics, even as a stunt, has to be good for Tooth too, no?

I, Cosh

We never really die.

satchmo

I should be getting the first two on thursday, looking forward to it. A weekly anthology comic, is such a thing even possible?!

Dog Deever

Satch- you haven't got time to read comics- we're still waiting for more Mothman!
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Grant Goggans

It's actually pretty good stuff.  I liked 13 of the 15 stories, even if you really can't say that much of anything happened in the Batman or Sgt Rock stories.

They really should have ditched one of the ongoing adventure stories for a complete-each-week Stanley and His Monster, though.

Colin YNWA

IT IS EVEN BETTER THAN I EXPECTED - BRILLANT

Well finally got to my LCS and got the first two issues of Wednesday Comics. Now I know I whittered on about this before it came out and had massive expectations but its lived up to them and more. Its a beautiful product.

The stories as you might expect all kick about at different pace - some diving right in and fair ripping along other taking their time and using the full 12 weeks and a slow burn, much like 2000ad stories. That said I'm enjoying all but one, Wonder Woman I find too cluttered, which is saying something with this format! Some are plain brillant. Hawkman, Demon and Catwoman, Komandi, Flash and Metamorpho are all a bit special but I'll make special mention of Metal Men the art in which is possibly my favourite of all, which when you consider the line-up is astonishing. Brillant.

Its a simply beautiful product that is so evocative to read. The most exciting time you'll have with some tatty paper since you first discovered 2000ad.

Kerrin

I was wondering about this but that sounds like a resounding recommendation to me Colin. Anyone know where to get issues 1 and 2 on the net? I can find 2 easily enough, but 1 and 2, not so easy without paying two lots of postage.

Colin YNWA

I always find if you've missed the start of a series waiting a month or so after it finishes (which in this case is only October) is the cheapest way to get mini's. As loads pop up if the complete series on eBay pretty cheap (not sure why people do this maybe over orders from shops???). If you can wait might be the way to go?

Judge MANSON

Did you know if this "experience" will be reproduced in the months to come?
I'm thinking that's a great idea to do comic books this way. And for the price, DC is much more in the top quality/price than Marvel these days...

Nearly all my orders are made of DC titles now...
Respect the Law, Citizen! Rebel and you will pray Mercy to my gun!

Kerrin

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 19 July, 2009, 01:08:07 PM
I always find if you've missed the start of a series waiting a month or so after it finishes (which in this case is only October) is the cheapest way to get mini's. As loads pop up if the complete series on eBay pretty cheap (not sure why people do this maybe over orders from shops???). If you can wait might be the way to go?

Sounds like a plan to me Colin, cheers for the advice.