Main Menu

Aliens: Fireteam Game.

Started by IAMTHESYSTEM, 03 March, 2021, 09:09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IAMTHESYSTEM

A new Aliens franchise co-operative shooter is launching on PC and Games Consoles in Summer 2021. Looks pretty good, but the record for Aliens based games isn't too great, with Colonial Marines being regarded as poor fare for the genre.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-03-02-aliens-fireteam-is-a-co-op-third-person-shooter-out-summer-2021
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

wedgeski

Looks good--one to keep an eye on. Meanwhile, just in the middle of my 4th playthrough of Alien: Isolation!

repoman

Looks okay.  A bit double-A but the third person view and co-op is giving me hope that it'll be an Aliens-flavoured EDF kind of experience.

I'm a huge fan of the films but I don't think they really translate well to games, so I'm not expecting greatness.

milstar

Well, as long as it is not as Colonial Marines. Although I wish another AvP game. The 2010 was total mediocre.

Quote from: repoman on 03 March, 2021, 05:14:48 PM

I'm a huge fan of the films but I don't think they really translate well to games, so I'm not expecting greatness.

This.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Link Prime

Quote from: milstar on 03 March, 2021, 05:17:13 PM
Well, as long as it is not as Colonial Marines. Although I wish another AvP game. The 2010 was total mediocre.

Quote from: repoman on 03 March, 2021, 05:14:48 PM

This.

I would say that Alien: Isolation was one of my favourite games from the last console generation.
A really intense claustrophobic experience - with a great script by our ol pal Dan Abnett.

Co-op shooters ain't my thing, so will be giving Fireteam a miss anyway.

repoman

Controversially, I preferred Colonial Marines to Isolation.  I know that sounds crazy but for me Colonial Marines was a standard shooter with an Aliens flavour but I really enjoyed the setting.  Being in locations from the film was pretty special to me and that sort of fan service stuff really landed well.  The game was average otherwise but aren't they all?

Most Alien-related games are just Unreal Tournament + strobe lighting + baby elephants screaming + the motion tracker bleeps.  75% of the work is done for you if you just copy the feel of the films.

Isolation then.  I loved the setting, I loved the Alien-esque vibe.  What I didn't like was the level design.  It was like I was playing Doom.  Early on there's a room with three different door types in there.  Come on.  That's 1990s level design.  The map was useless too.

The whole game was just endless back and forth fetching.  I remember the last part of the game feeling like an endless fetch quest.  Like Bioshock but worse.

My big problem though was the alien itself.  So many people like the game because of it and I'll admit, it scared me the first couple of times but after that when you realise he just walks around upright the whole time, it might as well just be a prison guard.  Why isn't it on the walls or ceiling?  Why isn't it more 'alien' in its movement?  To be honest, the androids were scarier.

Also there are times where it goes in and out of different ducts and doors that it makes it feel like a chase scene from a Scooby Doo cartoon.  There should have been more ways to track it maybe.  But it was just so random.   I remember starting a new level after travelling there by lift and the alien was right there around the corner.  It felt so disconnected from the game.

If the game gave you a bit more ability to fight back later on, was at least 75% shorter and they sorted the alien out, it'd be really good but for me I couldn't wait for it to be over.

AvP (2010).  Eesh.  Didn't like that one.  The first AvP was okay.  But I mainly played the Predator story on that.  The Alien bit wasn't as good.  Same with AvP 2.

milstar

Quote from: repoman on 04 March, 2021, 01:34:49 PM

AvP (2010).  Eesh.  Didn't like that one.  The first AvP was okay.  But I mainly played the Predator story on that.  The Alien bit wasn't as good.  Same with AvP 2.

Don't know for AvP, but I had a blast playing AvP 2. I felt like I was in the movies and I liked how they paid attention to smallest details. AvP 2010 should be forgotten. AvP Primal Hunt was good, but they messed Predalien.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

shaolin_monkey

This very much makes me think of Left4Dead with an Aliens skin.

Which I am TOTALLY down with.

wedgeski

Quote from: milstar on 04 March, 2021, 04:03:22 PM
Quote from: repoman on 04 March, 2021, 01:34:49 PM

Don't know for AvP, but I had a blast playing AvP 2. I felt like I was in the movies and I liked how they paid attention to smallest details. AvP 2010 should be forgotten. AvP Primal Hunt was good, but they messed Predalien.
Yeah, I remember thinking AvP2 was amazing. Big, open levels, three races that all felt radically different, great atmosphere. There's a level where you're supporting an APC moving through darkness, and it scared the bejeezus out of me. Also getting access to the Smart Gun and just mowing those xeno's down.

von Boom

The announcement of Fireteam has made me break down and buy the series X xbox. It arrived yesterday and I must say it's a thing of beauty.