Main Menu

Star Trek Online

Started by bluemeanie, 18 January, 2012, 09:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluemeanie

Its gone free to play today so its downloading now ready for a go tonight.
REALLY shouldnt have gotten it as I've barely scratched the surface of Skyrim and was just getting back into DCU Online after a few weeks off but you know.... Star Trek innit?

Anyone else getting it or has played already?
I hear the away missions are a bit repetitive but the design and ship to ship combat is all pretty cool

von Boom

I bought and played STO when it was first released. I even went so far as to get in on a lifetime subscription (1/2 off I think). I really enjoyed it, but then life got in the way and it has been about a year since I logged on.

I think if you like Star Trek you'll enjoy it, especially the away missions. However I found the ship to ship combat a little dumbed down. I'm biased though since I play Star Fleet Battles so anything less is fairly simple.

I just came across Artemis though and am really interested to try that for ship to ship combat.

JvB

Emp

Star Trek is by far one of the worst MMOs i have ever played.
Got it at release and never even made it through the 30 day free trial before cancelling.
The space combat is dull, the ground based missions are repetative to the point of stupid and some missions have to be done in the correct order or will fail, for example i had to go to a base surrounded by 3 klingon ships, beam down rescue some bloke and escape. On arriving i took out all the ships in the area and proceeded to the base. On returning to my ship i found i couldnt complete the quest as 1 of the ships was there to stop me leaving! Not like they had big signs saying "Dont attack me ....YET!"

The Legendary Shark

That just goes to show you can never trust a Klingon.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: Emp on 18 January, 2012, 04:30:16 PM
The space combat is dull, the ground based missions are repetative to the point of stupid...

That sounds like a remarkably accurate simulation. 

Roger Godpleton

Get back to your toy recreation of Luke and Mary's wedding, jerkface.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Devons Daddy

there is news of a New Star trek game for the consoles, all of them. which has good basis currently. i have heard it is being issued with the new movie but in a marketing ploy only. not a tie in.
seen some positive noise towards it recently.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

von Boom

If you want to play a GREAT Star Trek game go to Dynaverse and download Starfleet Command: Empires at War and/or Orion Pirates.

Both are based on the greatest Star Trek game evar, Starfleet Battles. I'm biased about this game (some would call it a lifestyle, similar to ASL) having played for so long.

The price for each is only $5.99 US. It takes a little work to install them on Vista or Win7, but well worth the effort IMO.

JvB

bluemeanie

Downloaded online, played it for a night.... back on the DC Universe one

Will probably try it again at some point but it really didnt grab me at all