Main Menu

Day Of Chaos finale

Started by vzzbux, 12 March, 2012, 01:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

The city will be partially destroyed along with lots of Judges and their resources - no more flying H-wagons etc.
The city will be sent into a chaotic feudal state with the vastly outnumbered Judges struggling to keep control (maybe something similar to the Batman 'No Man's Land' story).
All this will happen to make it more like the upcoming film - we may even see a redesigned uniform.

JamesC

Double Post.

It's just occured to me that the destruction of the PSU and resurgence of PSI Division may support my theory!

James Stacey

Shouldn't it be called 'Years of Chaos' then? I personally hope not. The film should be informed by the comic not vice versa, the changing of colouring to the visor to all black in recent months is already annoying me.

WhitBloke

I'm not even going to try to pretend I could see the Statue of Judgement attack coming.  Never would have crossed my mind in a million years, though the element of long-fomented spite being channeled into the Sovs' assault on the city had me hoping we might see the Academy of Law get hit.  Perhaps we still will since the Sovs aren't exactly lacking in motivation and spite.  ("It'll be gratifying to know... that there's always going to be a new batch of judges to take my place.")  How better to kick them while they're down than to deny them their own future, given that they took that from East-Meg One?

I'm actually still waiting on the postie to bring my 1774 but I've not been able to resist the spoilers hereabouts.  If anything, they've not spoilt anything for me and have got me chomping at the bit in a big way, but they've also got me thinking about Niles and Buell's current status given that their divisions' joint HQ has, I hear, seen better days.  I can't shake the thought that they make up 2/5 of the Council of Five and how distracted Dredd could get if he thinks he's in danger of being fitted up for the Big Pads or even some Deputy Big Pads.  After all, we did just recently have some serious one on one Francisco-Dredd without Poll or the others around.

However, I do have one admittedly cheesy prediction I've been nursing for some weeks now...  1776.  Being such an important date in American history, and only two weeks away from a Prog by the same "name" and all.
So this is der place then, Johnny?

radiator

QuoteThe city will be partially destroyed along with lots of Judges and their resources - no more flying H-wagons etc.
The city will be sent into a chaotic feudal state with the vastly outnumbered Judges struggling to keep control (maybe something similar to the Batman 'No Man's Land' story).
All this will happen to make it more like the upcoming film - we may even see a redesigned uniform.

Nice idea, but I very much doubt it.

I get the feeling that the film will remain very much a separate entity from the comics.

I think the majority of the plot threads will be wrapped up by the end of Day of Chaos, with a few left dangling so that Wagner can pick them up as and when.

Remember that we already have Chris Weston's one-shot lined up for a future prog - and the Megazine Dredds running alongside events in the prog - the goalposts won't shift dramatically.

We've had stuff like Tour Of Duty, where we had a year of stories (mostly) set outside of the city, but even that eventually reverted to normal. People tend to make these wild speculations during epics - remember during ToD when a lot of people were convinced we were heading for a judicial civil war?

QuotePerhaps we still will since the Sovs aren't exactly lacking in motivation and spite.

I may be wrong but I got the impression the Sovs weren't behind the missile attack on the PSU - it was either Rage Against the Megs or Total War.

WhitBloke

Quote from: radiator on 13 March, 2012, 10:00:34 AM
I may be wrong but I got the impression the Sovs weren't behind the missile attack on the PSU - it was either Rage Against the Megs or Total War.

Aaahhh...  Interesting.  Thanks, Radiator.

(Damn it!  Where is that bastard postman?)
So this is der place then, Johnny?

JamesC

I hope we do get something that really shakes things up and changes the status quo.
I think things have gotten a bit stale in MC1 over the last few years. The Cursed Earth doesn't seem to be very dangerous anymore, the Judges aren't as tough as they used to be, there aren't many decent villains about - things need shaking up!

Richard

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 12 March, 2012, 06:04:27 PM
I think we can wave goodbye to the North Hab Zone, at the least.

Better still, if the Hab Zone was all that was left.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Dark Jimbo

Can't believe nobody's mentioned the election yet! It's surely no coincedence that the citizens are going to vote on a new civic leader in direct defiance of a (percieved) attempt by Justice Department to snatch away their few democratic rights - just as the city's looking at a probable imminent shortage of manpower among the Judges?

Long-term, I think this is where the repruccusions are going to be felt. Citizens forced to be given a greater voice in future decisions or something similar - maybe even fresh distrust of the judges. 'How could they allow this terrible tragedy to happen?' etc etc.

Quote from: Proudhuff on 13 March, 2012, 06:37:50 PM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 12 March, 2012, 06:04:27 PM
I think we can wave goodbye to the North West Hab Zone.

Why?
[/quote]

The fact that that was where Dmitri (surfer dude) had his drug nicked by a pair o' juves. The drug's going to be spread among the citizens before the Judges can locate it, and the size of the Hab Zone makes it seem more likely that there'll be a total contamination before too long. If that happens the judges are more likely to just quarantine it off and cut their losses - it might even become a dumping ground for other infected cases. That'll give us the large-scale chaos and destruction we're hoping for as readers - moneyshots of a major chunk of city brought to its knees, infected folks tearing chunks out of each other, bodies in the streets, that sort of thing - without having to set the bug loose full-scale in the city, which is going to be hard to convincingly contain.
@jamesfeistdraws

Dark Jimbo

Gah! Where's the 'edit' button gone?
@jamesfeistdraws

vzzbux

You have to remember that Titannia spent a long time in the club and even longer loitering on the tube that could have spanned a couple of sectors infecting many who in turn will spread to other sectors. There is also the terminal in Europe who have detained one of the agents which has potential to make it a global epidemic.

V

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

The Sherman Kid

Mmmm lets see now...

-The Contagion spreads, slow at first ,the incubation period needs to run, then quickly picks up speed.From individuals and then cityblocks being quarranteened soon you have entire sectors.
-The social fabric breaks down as the scale of the epidemic is realised and judge numbers are thined by the epidemic itself
-Huge swathes of the population decide to flee.With the docks and spaceports blocked and the West Wall closed -citizens decide to take matters into their own hands.Thousands of civilian craft try to clear the West Wall to make the comparative safety of the cursed eath.Dredd orders them to be stopped and the lasers cut them down.
-Faced with apparent certain death the citizenry remain undaunted, in fact the number attempting to flee increases exponentially.The wall is breached.
-Other cities like Hondo and Texas City have anticipated and their have Justice Dept strike vehicles just beyond the limits of Mega -City who cut down those who make it.
-The crisis is reaching critical mass -if a solution is not found soon ,the other Mega Cities will impose a 'Judgement Day' solution.
- A cure is found

The End  ;) :D

Cactus

The Sherman Kid's mention of the incubation period got me thinking. The virus has an incubation period of 24 hours so if one one agent infects 100 people (a pretty conservative estimate, I think), and they each infect 100 people, and they each infect 100 people then after three days one hundred million people are infected.  :o

Then I double-checked the meaning of "incubation period" and realised that it may or may not be synonymous with "latent period" which is the time between contracting the infection and becoming infectious. So who knows.

Quote from: radiator on 13 March, 2012, 08:38:43 AM
I really don't think the fallout is going to be as dramatic as some are speculating - remember that the week after every Dredd epic ends, he's back on the streets and it's business as usual - even things like Necropolis and Judgement Day didn't really have that many lasting consequences or changed the status quo massively.

Not so, there's often a one or two parter as the judges restore order. Dredd or the CJ usually comments on how this has made their manpower situation worse and things are going to be tough. Then it's business as usual.  :D
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

vzzbux

I have a feeling the fall out will be longer. Some of the stories that follow this from other writers may have the tag of pre day of chaos events.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.