Main Menu

Matrix revolutions

Started by UZI 4U, 27 April, 2004, 03:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oddboy

Better set your phaser to stun.

VampiraJen

i'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorryi'msorry...

Mr D

Jen - you have no idea hopw angry that makes me!!

Just kidding

But seriously, I haven't seen it for years - it's the one that's NEVER repeated, but I saw it the other day and LOVED it. It's as great as I remembered.

BTTF rocks!

Art

ooooh... can I have a  read afterwards?

Mr D

Can someone outline what Marvelman is? Sounds cracking!

WoD

Two things..,,

Jen - I'm with you, the second one was a bit pish.

And...Can I have it after Art...or failing that can anyone recommend a MiracleMan GN?

Cheers.,

Mr D

But... but.... but...

HOVERBOARDS!!

Time twistyness!

Brilliantly crafter interweaving with the first film!!

Subtle - blatent nods to the first AND third movies!!

BRILLIANT gags!

Cool 'crap future' stuff!

It's GENIUS I tells ya!

WoD

But the first one was soooooooo good that it just can't compare and it just didn't 'gell' in the same way for me.

Personal opinion that's all.  It's a lot better than a lot of other movies though.

VampiraJen

yeah, well, i always wanted one of those hover boards...when iw as a kid i couldn't wait for 2015 to come along....just another ten-odd years...

Oddboy

Art, WoD - sure... if Tips doesn't mind not seeing it again for a looooong while!

Matt Timson

Marvelman was originally Captain Marvel, but for reasons that I can't remember that had something to do with copyright, he had his name changed, was given a different cosume and blonde hair.

Instead of 'Shazam', he had 'Kimota'- that sort of thing.

Alan Moore revamped the character in 1982 for Warrior magazine in ways that i really can't tell you without spoiling it for you.  Needless to say, it created a better benchmark than DK Returns ever did for me.

Typically of British comics, Warrior folded and the story was left incomplete until Eclipse Comics bought the rights, reprinted the Moore/Leach/Davis run and then finished the story, again with Moore and with artist John Tottleben.  They had to change the name to Miracleman because, IIRC, Marvel objected to the name.  Despite the fact that the character of Marvelman was older than Marvel comics.

It's one of those stories that you need to read, rather than be told about due to massive amounts of spoilering.  I hear that the whole lot is due for re-release in TPB- something I won't hesitate to buy.

There's a follow up by Jamie Delano(?  or was it Neil Gaimen?) that was *good*, just not *as* good.  To be fair though, the story had been brought to a conclusion (of sorts) and the word that I'm really looking for is probably just 'different'.

I've got all the original comics- but you might as well ask me to cough up a lung as loan them out.  Sorry.
Pffft...

Generally Contrary

Peace between man and machine.  Well, apart from a brilliant Goldie Lookin' Chain track, I'll say the same thing I used to answer the people who asked, at the end of the first film, why Neo hadn't already and inevitably won.

Because, what would happen if all those people were released in an instant?  Mass starvation and misery.  Neo really had to go for a negotiated settlement, while the machines just had to kill the free humans.  Given this balance of forces, Neo would have to offer quite reasonable terms to the machines, and this would involve a gradual move away from human bio-electricity.  

But like I've said before, using humans as a source of electricity is just plain dumb.  Even if it would be a viable way of producing electricity, why not use cows that could be satiated by a much more simple simulation?  Or lobotomise the batteries.  If humans are exceptional, then we'd have to include some mystical stuff about souls and consciousness, which brings me to what the Matrix *should* have been - a vast organic computer network, making our own minds, working together, our prison.  What is the Matrix?  We are.

Actually, I haven't watched the final film.  The second one was so poor I was embarrassed for everyone involved.  So all this might have happened.  Doubt it though.

JTurner

GC - It didn't happen.

I like the idea of cows in the matrix, though. The acting would be better than Keanu Reeves, and it'd be like Kung Pow, Enter the Fist.

Oddboy

GC - [spoilers]

Yeah Neo went for a negotiation -

You know in #2 Agent Smith learns to copy himself,
well - he starts taking over *everyone* which
basically means he's become a computer virus.
The machines don't want a virus in their Matrix
but Neo offers to get rid of The Smiths *if* the
machines stop killing the free humans, and don't
stop people who want to come out of the Matrix
from coming out.

Or something.

Quirkafleeg

You forgot: "And then he becomes Jesus"