Main Menu

Prog 2115. Next-Gen Policing.

Started by NapalmKev, 19 January, 2019, 11:35:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

The most infuriating thing about Skip Tracer (apart from its title...) is that it seems to be perpetually on the brink (sorry) of being a pretty good strip, but it can never make that critical push. It's doing most things right but it needs to pull one more trick out the hat to win me over, and that might be a shocking twist, or an engaging new character, or an intriguing sub-plot; or it might just have to veer resolutely in a less vague direction, introducing more humour or horror or weirdness. Some pleasing idiosyncrasy. 

JamesC

Quote from: norton canes on 25 January, 2019, 04:54:06 PM
The most infuriating thing about Skip Tracer (apart from its title...) is that it seems to be perpetually on the brink (sorry) of being a pretty good strip, but it can never make that critical push. It's doing most things right but it needs to pull one more trick out the hat to win me over, and that might be a shocking twist, or an engaging new character, or an intriguing sub-plot; or it might just have to veer resolutely in a less vague direction, introducing more humour or horror or weirdness. Some pleasing idiosyncrasy.

I feel like that ship has sailed.
The most infuriating thing for me is that it gives me no reason to care. I don't feel like I know or get the main character. Neither do I have any sense of his environment. The Cube could be an interesting location to tell a story but it just feels like a generic future setting with bits ripped off from Blade Runner and other much better Sci Fi worlds.
Someone compared this to the early days of Dante. Well, I found that strip a bit annoying when it first started with it's 'too cool to kill' thing but at least I got Dante's schtick. And the future Russia setting was at least interesting and fresh.

Fungus

Skip Tracer has become one of those strips - won't name-check the others - which I just admire the art on, then move on. The story seems determined to avoid anything novel or interesting. I don't get why stories like this exist. The scope should be limitless. My 2 cents.
See also: zombies.

broodblik

Quote from: Fungus on 25 January, 2019, 05:39:27 PM
Skip Tracer has become one of those strips - won't name-check the others - which I just admire the art on, then move on. The story seems determined to avoid anything novel or interesting. I don't get why stories like this exist. The scope should be limitless. My 2 cents.
See also: zombies.

I can agree on the zombie thing that it is theme that has past its due date and the only exception is Defoe. That is maybe why the previous 3riller was so uninteresting and lame
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 25 January, 2019, 03:36:34 PM
Skip Tracer I think the main character looks and react always angry. His anger is almost like his just angry for the sake of anger without any explanation. The character should tone down a notch or two.  If the main character is not likable your story is fighting a losing battle to connect to the audience. I am one of the few that do like the strip but maybe this was too much (3 stories in a short period)

Yeah we discussed this last week, maybe you made the same observation there broodbilk? Anyway its definately right. For me that's why the second series worked so well, he wasn't just angry he was desperate and sad and passionate, you know a rich character and for me the story shined because of it. Oh and we knew and could empathise with why he felt all those things Really enjoyed that one. Alas this one hasn't picked up on that.

Its a double shame as after Dante ended there was a period when a lot of folks bemoaned the lack of another 'anchor' series to back up Dredd and appear in most issues. So on one hand folks got what they wanted, alas on the other we didn't. After all one of the key elements to making Dante a delight, even as it started, as that the lead had such (fault-filled) charm.

Still the second story buys Skip Tracer more time for me, lets see how it goes.

broodblik

For all the millions of Skip Tracer fanboys out there accordingly the March solicits this will be around until then:  https://2000ad.com/post/4550
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tiplodocus

Cracking Prog.  Brink and Dredd are the obvious highlights but I also enjoyed the other strips a lot. 

I love the way that Judge Randy is *almost* like Dredd was forty years ago.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: norton canes on 25 January, 2019, 04:54:06 PM
The most infuriating thing about Skip Tracer (apart from its title...) 

Think you'll find the strip is just called "Tracer".

Skip is a handy instruction from Tharg.
Lock up your spoons!

CalHab

Quote from: broodblik on 26 January, 2019, 05:15:49 AM
For all the millions of Skip Tracer fanboys out there accordingly the March solicits this will be around until then:  https://2000ad.com/post/4550

Glad to see Jaegir is back.

I tend to agree with the sentiment regarding Skip Tracer. It's been given a decent shot and hasn't succeeded for all the reasons outlined above and in previous prog threads.