Main Menu

Prometheus

Started by Mardroid, 25 July, 2011, 12:34:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apestrife

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 16 July, 2012, 10:13:40 PM
Honestly - if you need to do the intellectual back-flips you're doing right now to justify the movie, then it is not a good movie.
As I said: it'll be on the same list as Battlefield Earth sooner rather than later.

I haven't stated that I loved every bit of this movie just because I don't dislike it as much as some do.

I have admitted that while I like the ideas it brings to the table, but I'v also said it's a very flawed movie. It's certainly not in any length good as Alien or Blade Runner, at least not for me (or you either)

Who knows, a theory about why some doesn't 100% dislike the movie could be based on the fact that Noomi Rapace and Charlize Theron is in it?

And mostly I just watch movies. Some theories on "how is this possible?" may arise, but it's not like my life is depending on it. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to find joy in Star wars, black and white space operas or Zardoz wouldn't I ;) ?

Apestrife

Quote from: radiator on 16 July, 2012, 10:28:52 PM
Honestly - if you need to do the intellectual back-flips you're doing right now to justify the movie, then it is not a good movie.
As I said: it'll be on the same list as Battlefield Earth sooner rather than later.

Couldn't agree more. The apologists would have you believe that 'Blade Runner and Alien got bad reviews on release because they went over critic's heads, it's the same for Prometheus, it'll be recognised for the classic it is in years to come'

I think completely the opposite - once the hype dies down, a lot of people are finally going to open their eyes to what a Phantom Menace-esque load of nonsense it is.

I take it that I look like a apologist? What I react to the most is the fact that just because I liked some bits of the film it's portrayed like I'v said "nay sayers are wrong, it's a classic.". I'd say I give it about 2 tits out of 5.

It's like the fact that I really like the pod race in Star Wars episode 1 The Phantom Mayonnaise, but that doesn't mean I'v said "I love this movie entirely" now does it?
I don't think it's an overall good movie, but I don't see the importance in harshly telling people off about the opposite and trying to rise a mob against a movie you don't like.

Mardroid

Quote from: Borntohula on 16 July, 2012, 10:42:24 PM
I don't think it's an overall good movie, but I don't see the importance in harshly telling people off about the opposite and trying to rise a mob against a movie you don't like.

To be fair I don't think either of them are going that far and you shouldn't take it that way.

They do raise good points.

We can still enjoy the film.

Apestrife

Quote from: Mardroid on 16 July, 2012, 10:49:32 PM
Quote from: Borntohula on 16 July, 2012, 10:42:24 PM

To be fair I don't think either of them are going that far and you shouldn't take it that way.

They do raise good points.

We can still enjoy the film.

Well okay. You are probably right.

Sorry if I reacted like if I was on IMDB.com or something. This forum is much better than that ;)

radiator

Not having s pop at anyone in particular borntohula, I just get a bit irrational when someone says Prometheus is an intelligent or thought-provoking movie.

It's neither - it is in fact a deeply stupid and silly one.

Apestrife

Well the same goes for me when it comes to some music and swedish politics, I know exactly how it is ;)

Professor Bear

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 16 July, 2012, 09:45:44 PM
Quote from: Borntohula on 16 July, 2012, 09:18:43 PM
Shaw is a beliver in the christian God . . .

. . . Yet, as a Christian, she didn't seem at all bothered or perturbed that her whole belief system was at best . . . wrong.

As a boffin, Shaw would have to accept that she didn't have all the answers and some things would be a matter of faith - this is not incompatible with Christianity, it's a prerequisite.  It's only total nutjobs that think they have it all figured out and that God doesn't test their faith.

Spikes

Quote from: radiator on 16 July, 2012, 10:28:52 PM
The apologists would have you believe that 'Blade Runner and Alien got bad reviews on release

Alien, or Prometheus?

Quote from: Mardroid on 16 July, 2012, 10:49:32 PM
To be fair I don't think either of them are going that far

I must admit, im siding with borntohula on this. He's held his own well, and made some good replies/points on here,which have largely gone unacknowledged.

I dont think anybody is saying Prometheus is a perfect film by any stretch, but what i dont understand is why certain people, yes - i am looking at you Richmond, Radiator et al, see fit to post what amounts to nothing more than snipes, and seem hell bent in getting in the dismissive last word all the time.

judgeblake

Quote from: Mardroid on 16 July, 2012, 08:23:41 PM
Quote from: HdE on 16 July, 2012, 03:13:07 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 16 July, 2012, 02:47:29 PM
It's confusing and the plot didn't make sense? How is it a good movie then..? Surely these are the most basic elements of cinematic storytelling, and this movie failed on both counts miserably!

Hang on... I didn't find it at all confusing or hard to follow... so... what does that..? I don't even..?

Yeah. The plot is pretty straight forward. We didn't get all the answers certainly, [spoiler]i.e. why did the Engineers turn against humanity, but since Rapace's character (I forget her name) wanted to backtrack to the Engineers' world to ask them that very question, it's obviously an answer they're leaving for later.[/spoiler]

I was also uncertain as to why [spoiler]David infected that guy, but I suspect it was simply scientific curiosity coupled with his inhuman, and therefore inhumane lack of conscience. That and The Company in the alien films are renowned for their interest in exploiting bio-weapons and I don't see this pre-cursor company is any different in that respect. I wonder if David was ahead in guessing what the Engineer's canisters were all about.[/spoiler]

I guess there were a couple of other things that puzzled me during the film, but by the end, they made sense. Which is the whole point, answers shouldn't be spelt out straight away! And if people are still wondering what that [spoiler]Alien hold/cannisters and hence, the beasties were all about[/spoiler], The Captain (ironically one of the least scientific members of the team) states it quite clearly near the end.

Don't get me wrong. It could have been a lot better, and it was a little disjointed, (and it certainly could have been original.  [spoiler]I mean, who didn't see the awoken Engineer's reaction to the crew from a mile off?[/spoiler] But it largely sense.

I mean I did enjoy the movie as I've no doubt stated and I do think it is a decent add-on to the alien movies.   But there were some very b-movie lines in the film that seemed poor for the kind of film Ridley Scott was trying to make - plus, as far as the plot goes, I believe you can have something known as the 'Lost effect' whereby, like the viewers of Lost, the audience gets alienated by the intentional ambiguity of certain plot devices and twists.

judgeblake

. . . Yet, as a Christian, she didn't seem at all bothered or perturbed that her whole belief system was at best . . . wrong.

lol this reminds me actually - I thought the references to christianity by the characters and the very presence of the cross on Shaw was to fend off religious activists from the film and to prevent key figures in the church condemning the movie Life of Brian style. In a movie that questions the belief of religion, specifically christianity, they will usually have a week passage of dialogue that still reaffirms the 'validity' of christian values and beliefs.

Roger Godpleton

Why are you still talking about this? Why aren't you talking about Mr Lambert?
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Professah Byah on 16 July, 2012, 11:22:51 PM

As a boffin, Shaw would have to accept that she didn't have all the answers and some things would be a matter of faith - this is not incompatible with Christianity, it's a prerequisite.  It's only total nutjobs that think they have it all figured out and that God doesn't test their faith.

At no point, though, is Shaw's faith actually tested. Instead, we get some smug line about who then made the Engineers. Pseudery, that's all it is, deluding itself that it's something profound.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

radiator

Can all the people claiming this film has 'big ideas and themes' explain them to me?

'Mankind was created by an alien race, using their DNA". Well, consider my mind blown by that old-as-the-hills, cliched sci-fi concept.

There's a lot of scattershot symbolism and mythological references, but it's sheer pretentiousness - none of it actually means anything or is explored at all. I'd respect the film more if it concerned itself more with telling a coherent story with believable characters.

And as for that ridiculous news article - written, in a staggering coincidence, by the ex-film critic of the News of the World, what a load of balls. it's more likely that the people who gave it GOOD reviews will be the ones being laughed at in a few years time, like Empire infamously giving Attack of the Clones 5 stars.

radiator

To clarify for Americans: that's the Fox/Murdoch-owned News of the World.

judgeblake

I have to say - I don't feel prometheus was so bad that it will be dug up and villified as a piece of reprobate trash some years later - I feel too many good and rubbish movies will have passed for Prometheus to be singled out and the film was visually impressive imo. Ok the film was a let down due to the history it's tieing itself to e.g. Ridley Scott's sci fi moviemaking mythalogical status, the fact Alien and Aliens were such great movies etc The script was terrible in places and the ideas and concepts were grandiose and impressive but nevertheless borrowed e.g. At the Mountains of Madness, the first Alien movie etc etc etc But was the movie so terrible it should be compared with real stinkers???