Main Menu

The 3rd Strontium Dog files, a good start?

Started by Apestrife, 16 July, 2012, 08:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bissler

If I had to pick a volume above all others it would have to be the 2nd book.  Every story is magnificent in this volume, but it includes "Outlaw" which is my all-time favourite SD tale, the perfect mix of action, twists, and humour. 
But I'd agree with everyone that all of the Search/Destroy files are all worth buying.  Time for you to break the bank I think!

Apestrife

It's a long summer (The midnight sun never goes down during it where I live...), so we'll see how it it'll be done. I just bought a car and will move into a new flat in a couple of weeks. SD could very well serve as a moving in-present from me to myself ;)

Leigh S

If you are scaed that Stront has similar levels of feet findng as Dredd does in CF1, then Vol 2 is for you, starting with Alpha's "origin" tale and working through some of his greatest stories from there.  Though Vol 2 isn't half as "juvenile" as the first Dredd case file - its feet are pretty much in place, helped by Wagner being the sole writer and having started after Wagner had had a chance to hone up what worked on a year of Dredd before starting the first stront.. I understadn the starlord brief was to aim at a slightly older audience as well, which helped slightly

I'd say read Vol 2, then 1, then 3 onwards if you are a bit put off by those Case Files - if you can put it into context, you may as well read in order, if only for the glorious "Journey Into Hell".

Leigh S

that should read volume 1 isnt half as juvenile, not vol 2... damned edit timer!

shaolin_monkey

Nah, definitely volume 2.  Bloody epic.

Apestrife

By the way. Any chance the Strontinum dog collections will get new covers like the Dredd and Rogue Trooper ones? I really love what they'v done with the new design with those!

Apestrife

I bought 2 and 3. I love that each book feels like it's own story. Book two about Johnny against Kreeler and the third about revenge for a norweigan viking and a dog :D

And damn, I want Johnny on the silver screen. What I'd give to see the french director behind Amelie from Montmartre to do those time bombs sequences "and then there was just vacuum" justice :)

Mabs

I was looking online to see what Strontium Dog volume to start with, when this thread popped up! And really helpful it was too. I've made my mind up and have ordered volume 2! : )
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

The Bissler

Quote from: Mabs on 23 October, 2012, 05:26:41 PM
I was looking online to see what Strontium Dog volume to start with, when this thread popped up! And really helpful it was too. I've made my mind up and have ordered volume 2! : )

Hope you enjoy it Mabs!  Be sure to let us know what you think!

Mabs

Quote from: The Bissler on 24 October, 2012, 12:07:45 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 23 October, 2012, 05:26:41 PM

Hope you enjoy it Mabs!  Be sure to let us know what you think!

Thanks mate! I will do! : )
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Apestrife

On a side note. Can you read Life and death of Johnny Alpha without reading The final solution?

I'v read some of the later Wagner stuff, for example K. conspiracy, and I liked it as much as the old stuff. But I haven't heard anything good about the final solution, and I really didn't like the art in it (could be I like Alpha drawn by Carlos too much)

The Bissler

Quote from: Borntohula on 25 October, 2012, 07:29:30 AM
On a side note. Can you read Life and death of Johnny Alpha without reading The final solution?

I'v read some of the later Wagner stuff, for example K. conspiracy, and I liked it as much as the old stuff. But I haven't heard anything good about the final solution, and I really didn't like the art in it (could be I like Alpha drawn by Carlos too much)

The Final Solution is the one S.D. story that I really don't like at all.  Like you I wasn't a big fan of the art either - happily it's the only S.D. story (outside specials) that wasn't drawn by the wonderful Mr Ezquerra (I think!).  The Life & Death of Johnny Alpha does refer back to events in that story so it is probably helpful if you have read it.  I didn't feel the Life & Death was one of the strongest S.D. stories though.  I was a bit disappointed with the explanation for [spoiler] Johnny's resurrection, although I am glad he's back! [/spoiler]

Richmond Clements

Quotehappily it's the only S.D. story (outside specials) that wasn't drawn by the wonderful Mr Ezquerra (I think!). 

'A Sorry Case' was drawn by Colin MacNeil.

Colin YNWA

And one of the Starlord strips (a three parter called Demon Maker, thanks to Barney for that) which had Brendan McCarthy and Ian Gibson art.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Borntohula on 25 October, 2012, 07:29:30 AM

I've only read Agency Files 1 - 3 and then all the post-Final Solution stuff (that started being published around 2001). I definately felt, reading Life and Death... that I was missing a lot of references, and given that it was my first and only encounter with Feral that character's inclusion didn't mean very much to me; but as long as you know the rough plot (and ending) of Final Solution then I think you'll be fine - Life and Death more than works as a standalone tale, such is the quality of Wagner's writing.
@jamesfeistdraws