Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bouwel

And nothing beats an ear-canal itch like the tip of your little finger.  Bliss.

This is what the caps of 'Bic' biro's are for...

-Bouwel-
(Also, I share your B&Q pain. They have no idea of what the stock is, does or is suitable for)
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

House of Usher

It is very ironic that in a recession hardly any retailers are able to get a proper hold on customer service, which can make all the difference between selling and not selling, instead employing staff who can't be bothered and are content to know nothing, or else salesmen, who aren't known for their commitment to customer service either.
STRIKE !!!

Bouwel

To contrast with the B&Q standard of service I recently went to the jewelry quarter of Birmingham to pick up some previously ordered chemicals. As it turned out one of the boxes had been incorrectly labeled and didn't contain the item I wanted. These things happen of course but the service I recieved was amazing. The assistant telephoned another shop across the road to see if they had it. When they did they popped out and got it for me. While I was waiting I asked if they had any cut glass acid bottles (I needed three). When they looked they only had the one, but it was given to me for free as 'They'd already caused me enough trouble as it was'. Fantastic.

Also if you ever need any gold rings etc. that's the area to go to.

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

TordelBack

QuoteBetter to to to locally owned merchants, most times they are cheaper,the staff know what they are selling, they generally have a wider and different range since its not centerally supplied.

All true, and I tend to use builder's providers whenever I can, and always for work, but for private use:

(a).  Generally not open at weekends or evenings.
(b).  Generally want to deliver at unspecified weekday times.

Makes it awkward for anything but large orders.

Dandontdare

I'm sure the advertising standards people could take action over that B&Q ad - you know the one - "I've been a builder for 20 years.....I used to run a landscape gardening business". Maybe these people all work in one utopian central branch, but every store in greater Manchester seems to be staffed by children, slackers and fuckwits.  And the healthiness of the plants in the garden bit is appalling.

And I don't think I could give up that so so satisfying cotton-bud scrape ... just gotta take care!

House of Usher

There's a covert war of the cotton buds in my house. If I really, really feel the need I will give my ear canals a satisfying but careful poke, but it's best if the missus doesn't catch me doing it because then I get told off, and I can do without the grief.
STRIKE !!!

Roger Godpleton

Planes, Trains and Automobiles is on. A fine film, no doubt, but I can't abide the synthtacular 80s soundtrack. I have the same problem with A Fish Called Wanda. It's also why Climate of Hunter by Scott Walker cannot seriously be considered a classic album in spite of the superior songwriting.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

House of Usher

Last time I had nothing better to do than watch Educating Rita, I found it almost unwatchable thanks to the awful, awful, synthesizer soundtrack.
STRIKE !!!

I, Cosh

I found Scarface almost unwatchable for the same reason.
We never really die.

Roger Godpleton

I had fish and [oven] chips for dinner but there were less baked beans than I usually like and I didn't want to open a new tin so I had to eat the chips first in order to preserve some of the juice because I like to mop it up with bread after the plate is clear.

TordelBack

So I settle down to watch an '80s movie I've never seen before.  It stars two of my top five favourite actors Bill Murray and John Candy, as well as Harold Ramis and lovely Sean Young, and it's directed by Ivan Reitman, of Ghostbusters fame.  Hell, there's even extensive gratuitous nudity.  Even the regrettable presence of Judge Reinhold shouldn't make this anything but a complete classic.

Unfortunately the film is Stripes and it's utterly and completely shite.  Even Bill Murray is terrible.  It's like a mash-up between Private Benjamin and Police Academy with all the jokes (and Goldie Hawn) taken out.  What a letdown!

Paul faplad Finch

Surely not. I laughed like a drain when I watched Stripes.

Mind you, I was about 12.  Not worth a rewatch then?

(I am on the right film yeah?   Mud wrestling John Candy and sexual banter with an ice cream scoop?)

It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

TordelBack

QuoteMud wrestling John Candy and sexual banter with an ice cream

I know, it should be great - John Candy in particular can make almost any movie work for me.  Maybe I just needed to see it for the first time when I was 12.  The copious lady gardens would certainly have impressed.

Roger Godpleton

I got red paint in my head. It looks like a seagull had its period on me.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 September, 2009, 11:28:18 PM
So I settle down to watch an '80s movie I've never seen before.  It stars two of my top five favourite actors Bill Murray and John Candy, as well as Harold Ramis and lovely Sean Young, and it's directed by Ivan Reitman, of Ghostbusters fame.  Hell, there's even extensive gratuitous nudity.  Even the regrettable presence of Judge Reinhold shouldn't make this anything but a complete classic.

Unfortunately the film is Stripes and it's utterly and completely shite.  Even Bill Murray is terrible.  It's like a mash-up between Private Benjamin and Police Academy with all the jokes (and Goldie Hawn) taken out.  What a letdown!

Yep I rented this as its one of the few Bill Murray films I've not seen and I was so disappointed.