Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperSurfer

As far as I'm concerned the best music was in the late sixties and early 70s. There was tons of dodgy popular music back then, but the better stuff was groundbreaking. I don't like 80s music though I did at the time. I have no time for it and I'm not at all nostalgic about it at all.

Mike Gloady

I'm pretty broad in my music from 50s to current, with 70s and 90s being the probable front running decades. This past decade has tailed off pretty strong for me. What i HAVE enjoyed hasn't troubled the charts that much. Must be getting old.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Roger Godpleton

I would advise people to peruse through Wire's top 50 albums as there will inevitably be something you haven't heard in there.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

I, Cosh

Surprised to find I only have about a dozen of these. Even more surprised to see XTRMNTR as high up as number 3 as, personally, I'd rate that the best album on the list. Although not the best of the decade.
Quote from: TordelBack on 17 November, 2009, 06:49:17 PM
Honestly though, nothing by Sigur Ros?
That made me think. Then I checked and Agaetis Bryjun came out in 1999! Three years before Is This It, which I would've sworn was years older. Surprised Takk didn't make it. Incidentally, Is This It and White Blood Cells are probably the last albums I borrowed from a mate and taped. Neither fits onto one side of a C90. Think I might start writing a blog about my life through the medium of cassette tapes.
Quote from: SuperSurfer on 18 November, 2009, 01:16:09 AM
It won't go down as a classic music decade though. Can't say there is anything in the list that is really groundbreaking.
Of course, those two sentences have no real connection... I don't think it's been a bad few years for music. Like most people, the stuff I liked when I was a teenager will always hold a special place in my heart but I do still get out and listen to a lot of stuff. Since I was in my early twenties, I've found my interest flagging every few years but, so far, there's always been something that's come along and blown the cobwebs away. Most recently it was Fuck Buttons, whose gleeful mixture of techno and noise would make a corpse dance.

I always found the NME too mainstream anyway. Bring back Melody Maker (two letters printed, Buttonman.)
We never really die.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 18 November, 2009, 11:16:30 PM
I would advise people to peruse through Wire's top 50 albums as there will inevitably be something you haven't heard in there.
Cheers Roger. I couldn't find that(if it exists) but they gave me a free download of a track from the new Ben Frost album which is something I've been looking forward to.
We never really die.

Roger Godpleton

QuoteI always found the NME too mainstream anyway. Bring back Melody Maker (two letters printed, Buttonman.)

When I started reading MM in 2000 (shortly before it was cancelled) it was well shit. They put Limp Bizkit on the cover and gave the album like 4 stars.

Oh, and I meant the Wire's annual top 50 list.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 19 November, 2009, 12:29:25 AM
When I started reading MM in 2000 (shortly before it was cancelled) it was well shit. They put Limp Bizkit on the cover and gave the album like 4 stars.

Oh, and I meant the Wire's annual top 50 list.
Well, I haven't bought a music paper since 1995 or thereabouts. Didn't it go all glossy like Kerrang towards the end? It was shit then.

I will check it out.
We never really die.

Mike Gloady

Today's impediment is a crick in the neck that's lasted three or four days. Particularly bad this morning. Getting out of bed was a nightmare. Ow.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

uncle fester

I have no such cricks. But I do have a particularly bad hangover. The silly season is officially upon us. Well, me, anyway.

locustsofdeath!

That shouldn't be an impediment fester - just a reason to drink more to kill the hangover. Silly season, indeed.

Indeed... ;D.

Jim_Campbell

... Because family bloody commitments means that I'm highly unlikely to make it to Thought Bubble this weekend.

At least I know about it in advance this time, I suppose.

*Deep Sigh*

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

vzzbux

Quote from: vzzbux on 17 November, 2009, 07:26:15 PM
Drilled through an electric cable today. Going to cost me £100. Bastard.

It cost me £130 smackers in total and apparently I just shaved a gas pipe as well. How lucky. Fucking old houses.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Kerrin

Went to the shop, selected goods, went to till, no wallet, put goods back, left shop, tripped over dog.

Tiplodocus

Double bah!  My Bahrain gig now moved back to January.

Actually this is pretty good because it means I don't have to use up the last of my annual leave from work

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

James Stacey

Quote from: Kerrin on 19 November, 2009, 10:29:26 PM
Went to the shop, selected goods, went to till, no wallet, put goods back, left shop, tripped over dog.
Your misfortune did have the redeeming feature of making me laugh out loud. Every cloud and all that  :P