Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: His Lordship rac on 18 January, 2010, 11:22:21 AM
10 minutes of Brian from Spaced

OF COURSE! I saw the trailer and it was bugging me who that was!

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 18 January, 2010, 02:54:44 PM
which I've seen and wasn't impressed with ..... So I bought that too.
I don't get this - Why would you buy a film you weren't impressed with? Considering all the other DVDs, videos, books, records and comics you probably own, not to mention all the  new stuff constantly coming out, will you honestly EVER play this DVD?

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: Dandontdare on 18 January, 2010, 03:25:28 PM

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 18 January, 2010, 02:54:44 PM
which I've seen and wasn't impressed with ..... So I bought that too.
I don't get this - Why would you buy a film you weren't impressed with? Considering all the other DVDs, videos, books, records and comics you probably own, not to mention all the  new stuff constantly coming out, will you honestly EVER play this DVD?

It's a Friday the 13th movie- so therefore I legally have to own it, to keep my membership status of the "Lifelong Fan" club. I may have to send back my furry Jason badge with moving googly eyes if I hadn't bought it. I just wasn't going to pay full price for it- but a pound, well, I'd be silly not to. I rented it previously, but didn't watch all the special features, so it's worth it for that alone. In fact, I may watch them tonight.

The F13 series, while being undoubtedly crap, is very important to me. Part 3 ("in...3D!", but not) was in the very first batch of horror films I ever saw, down my mate's house, in 1984. I've loved them ever since, and always wear a hockey mask badge on my coat. Oh, and my wife was allegedly in the club-set crowd scenes in Jason Takes Manhattan. Me and Jasey-baby have history, from the early days of my friend and I making up "Barry Norman interviews Jason" skits in the back of school exercise books (every answer Jason gave was "bum") to drawing pictures of Jase asleep in his bush, with his teddy, to writing 'Friday the 13th part 312: Jase In Space' years before Jason X, and shooting a short homage while at college.

As I say, they are of course, bollocks. Though, I'd happily claim Part 4 to be a gloriously nasty movie and the opening sequence/ titles of Part 6 never, ever, fails to make me laugh. The new one, dismal though it is, is perfectly acceptable for all that. If it was great, it wouldn't be an F13 movie. Though Jason re-imagined as Andy Pipkin was a little hard to take.

SBT

Tiplodocus

Yep, welcome to the world of "cult" and "fandom" where, if we think something is "utter shit" we'll only watch it maybe ten or twenty times.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Dandontdare

Fair enough! I'm just coming to the conclusion that life's too short for DVDs. I've got a shelf full and hardly ever watch any of them. And I've never gotten around to the massive re-read of 30+ years of progs I've got stacked up, never mind the Shelf of Unread Novels and Non-Fiction. If the entertainment industries would just STOP MAKING NEW SHIT for a year, I may have a (small) chance of actually catching up!

TordelBack

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 18 January, 2010, 04:45:58 PMI may have to send back my furry Jason badge with moving googly eyes if I hadn't bought it.

Exquisite image, Steev!

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: Dandontdare on 18 January, 2010, 05:59:02 PM
If the entertainment industries would just STOP MAKING NEW SHIT for a year, I may have a (small) chance of actually catching up!

And with this, sir, I pledge my allegiance! Oh yes, I've often felt the same. I collect DVDs for "the library"- for that far-off time when the kids have grown up and we'e got endless hours with nothing to do. As if that'll ever happen.

My personal stack of unwatched/ unread stuff if preeeetty high!

SBT

House of Usher

In our house he's called Mark Heap.  ;)

(Because that's his name)
STRIKE !!!

Richmond Clements

Quote from: House of Usher on 18 January, 2010, 08:44:39 PM

In our house he's called Mark Heap.  ;)

(Because that's his name)

Well in our house he's Brian from Spaced!

House of Usher

Quote from: His Lordship rac on 18 January, 2010, 09:08:39 PM
Well in our house he's Brian from Spaced!

:D

I do quite agree though about having at times wished the entertainment industry would just STOP so I could catch up. If not stop altogether, at least it could prioritise: you know, stop making crap films and publishing crap books and just make good ones and not too many of them. But I know that's unrealistic and a bit selfish. Especially as I would dearly love to add to the spew of literary output myself, and I plan to. One day.
STRIKE !!!

Colin YNWA

What not Statham off of Green Wing - guess our house is doing something wrong...

Satanist

I slipped on some ice last week fell on my arse and slid about 10 feet down a hill while spinning uncontrollably. I didn't hurt myself and actually quite enjoyed it, the only person to see this was my 2 year old son who found it hilarious.

However I now keep thinking back to it and wishing that there had been someone there to video it as it was probably the most spectacular fall I'll ever have that didn't kill me.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Roger Godpleton

To me he shall always be the guy who has Bad Aids.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

House of Usher

To me Mark Heap will always be The Actor Kevin Eldon.
STRIKE !!!

Richmond Clements

I fucking hate Gok Wan.
He's a patronising cunt and having to watch him move his exploitation wagon on to the disabled has made me quite annoyed.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: His Lordship rac on 19 January, 2010, 09:01:19 PM
I fucking hate Gok Wan.
He's a patronising cunt and having to watch him move his exploitation wagon on to the disabled has made me quite annoyed.

Is he feeling their tits, too?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.