Main Menu

How old is Dredd currently

Started by The dude, 08 March, 2020, 10:09:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The dude

Is anyone ever going to properly explain how Dredd can keep on going? How old is the old goat now? 80 years old? Will he be killed off?

Mardroid

He had recent regerative treatment, although that was mainly skin and muscle tissue. He refused the bone and internal organ treatment. I believe his lungs are artificial so they might not be an issue*. That would go some way in keeping him young.

There will always be a way of keeping him around as long as Tharg and co. want. Thankfully, being a sci-fi comic it doesn't require so much suspension of disbelief.

* I'm assuming if actually paper it's treated somehow. (Why on earth did they not come up with another substance in a sci-fi comic?)

TordelBack

Isn't it Rico Jr that has an artificial lung (and chin?). I may forgetting Dredd getting similar, but as late as Day of Chaos he was have Med Judges scrub his (natural) lungs after he went into Borisenko's burning bunker.

Also, I take 'paper' to be a colloquialism for some sort of funky carbon-fibre arrangement.

Mardroid

I... think you're right their Tordelback. I don't think I ever actually read the story, but read about it on here... and got them confused.

Leigh S

I love "paper lung" and always imagined it being a retro nomenclature rather than actual paper.  didnt Dredd get that in the explosion he took the brunt of in the post-Oz "Hitman" story?

Richard

Could be a typo. What auto-corrects to paper?

wedgeski

Quote from: Richard on 10 March, 2020, 12:42:53 AM
Could be a typo. What auto-corrects to paper?
Scissors... no wait, that's what beats paper, sorry.

TordelBack

Quote from: Leigh S on 09 March, 2020, 07:44:43 PM
I love "paper lung" and always imagined it being a retro nomenclature rather than actual paper.  didnt Dredd get that in the explosion he took the brunt of in the post-Oz "Hitman" story?

That rings a bell! While we've lost so many Dredd historians in recent years that would known such things, luckily this is clearly a question for Greg M.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Leigh S on 09 March, 2020, 07:44:43 PM

Yep, that's definitely when he got the paper lung.  [spoiler]A bullet through the 'E' on his badge was the culprit.  [/spoiler]What an amazing story, by the way - and this immediately after the monumental Oz.  The foundations of Button Man were being laid right there.

Mind you, Dredd's done quite well in the getting shot department. [spoiler]Another bullet went through his brain[/i[/spoiler]] in the Cal storyline, and he was up and running again in no time.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Greg M.

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 March, 2020, 02:16:10 PM
That rings a bell! While we've lost so many Dredd historians in recent years that would known such things, luckily this is clearly a question for Greg M.

You rang, m'lord? Dredd does lose a lung to the Hitman, but I don't remember it being replaced with the paper lung. All we know about it is that "the replacement's good - better than the original, really. Good, clean, new tissue. Cultured - we grow them from -" And then Dredd interrupts.

I think the paper lung is what Rico gets in 'Sector House', but I'll have to check.

Greg M.

I checked. Rico gets a carbon fibre lung in 'Sector House'. It lets him hold his breath for 7 minutes.

Funt Solo

I'm only up to prog 1977 [spoiler](but I can guess that the medivac shuttle explosion didn't permanently answer this thread's question)[/spoiler] and I noticed that post-Chaos Day, Dredd tends to lose fights more often. Luck, colleagues, training: these are the things that rescue the old man.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Greg M. on 10 March, 2020, 04:35:43 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 10 March, 2020, 02:16:10 PM

You rang, m'lord? Dredd does lose a lung to the Hitman, but I don't remember it being replaced with the paper lung. All we know about it is that "the replacement's good - better than the original, really. Good, clean, new tissue. Cultured - we grow them from -" And then Dredd interrupts.

I think the paper lung is what Rico gets in 'Sector House', but I'll have to check.

Hmmm, I was absolutely sure that the paper lung thing came from The Hitman.  But not any more.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 10 March, 2020, 07:13:35 PM
Hmmm, I was absolutely sure that the paper lung thing came from The Hitman.  But not any more.

I have this nagging feeling that the paper lung reference is actually from the start of the Ennis/McCrea Chopper series in the Megazine, but I can't be arsed to dig through the boxes in my garage to confirm that...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

I've just remembered where the 'paper lung' term comes into it - it's the Dredd Annual text story that leads into The Falucci Tapes. One of the character's sisters is fitted with a set after the Apocalypse War - possibly even the Kneepad Kid himself? Anyone have a copy handy?