Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

Quote from: Glenn Broadway on 04 May, 2012, 10:11:06 AMAlso, no-one ever seems to mention how much is generally paid for original artwork - but I've got to ask, because this has to be right up there in Bisley territory (which seem to go for thousands).

A lot of high-end stuff gets traded, which makes sense.  I know what the asking price was for the Bolland cover, and it was high but not as crazy as those for some Bisley art I can think of (the highest I can think of off the top of my head is about $87,000).

:o

Anyway, regarding what people have in their collections and the sums paid for art, a lot of people are a bit cagey about these things and a lot of deals are done behind the scenes.  In my experience, it takes a bit of time and patience to see how things operate and there's a lot more information forthcoming in private conversations compared with what's made public.  It took me a while to figure out a best estimate of the going rate for certain types of art (and even now I might be way off); the main thing is what it's worth to you.

Mikey

That's awseome in the true sense of the word Dale - hats aloft!

And regarding prices; I really like the fact no one mentions it on the thread as for me and my small collection, it's really about how much I like it, just as Ming says. You can find the prices pretty easily in any case - until I actually looked and bought some (admittedly more recent stuff, not in the 'classic' mould of O'Neill or Bolland, though still all aces), I always though it would be vastly out of my reach, but it wasn't. Nothing like it either, it's bloody great having a piece of art in your hands that you read in the Prog!

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Mikey

I had a quick run through the thread and realised I had only shared my lovely Bad Company diptych! Might as well put it all in one place. I'm sure you'll all be able to name the artists and series...

Here ye go...pics were taken a while ago. I get the occasional itch to buy more, but I've no more wall space so I'd need to sell pieces. And I love them too much!

M.

Spikes

Yep, Mings offered some very good points/advice about page prices. As for any websites most people on here post theres on here - http://www.comicartfans.com/
Simple searches, Dredd, 2000ad etc will bring up whats on there.

Quote from: Fatboydale on 02 May, 2012, 10:18:53 PM
Brian Bolland's 2000ad painted Annual cover , my top 3 characters from 2000ad ... it could not be better for me .

Think im going to retire after this .... ;)

Very nice Dale, very nice indeed. Though you had to part with some prime McMahon to get this, this is just superb and well worth the trade.

ming

Quote from: Mikey on 04 May, 2012, 11:44:10 AM
I had a quick run through the thread and realised I had only shared my lovely Bad Company diptych! Might as well put it all in one place. I'm sure you'll all be able to name the artists and series...

I'll give you a tenner for the lot, Mikey!

Heh, great to see that lot; some really quality stuff there.  Did you spend a few years picking those up or was it all done in a weekend of madness?

Mikey

Over a few years actually. I bought the first one (My Name is Death page. Which I might get reframed with a black mount) in 2003 I think, last ones were the Flint ABC pages in *gulp* 2008. It's been ages! I've been drawn toward Mondo type prints more recently though, partly down to price and partly due to Mrs Mikey not really wanting all rooms to have 2000ad related stuff on the walls or covering shelves or every time she looks at me (not often, granted). I know ! Chicks! What can you do?

M

hippynumber1

Fatboydale

Some lovely pages there Mikey , i like Jock and Irving Death and all the Flint pages the best ....all of them really .

I will post some better photo's of the Bolland in the next few days ...

Yes as some have guess i traded some Vintage 2000ad included my McMahon fink dp , which hand on heart it hurt and i'm full of regret ....

As for prices for art it can vary depending on the artist and the character .... i asked an American how much was his Bolland Dredd  , his fucking reply was " if you have to ask , you cannot afford it "  .. got the twat back when his asked about my Watchmen pages ...

The asking price for this Bolland was $12,500 .

opaque

Thanks Dale, that is obviously a very important piece for you, the bits you want the most cost the most don't they!

Mikey, nice you have them in frames and up on the wall. Mine is all in a map cabinet.
I don't think my girlfriend realises just how much stuff I have so when we finally get a house together it'll be a nice surprise for her ;)

Dr Feeley Good

The Harry Kipling double page spread by Boo cook that I have on eBay finishes in a few hours if anyone is interested ......cheers

Fatboydale

TordelBack

Send me your contact details, Dale.  I'll need them when I win the lottery.  Hopefully this weekend, so don't spend too much on the frame.  That is eye-smartingly gorgeous, your own personal actual fragment of the True Cross.

Spikes

Great to see the extra photos Dale. fantastic stuff, :thumbsup:

opaque

So lovely to see the quality in real life isn't it :)

U.S.S.R

Some of the art on here is amazing!
Gays into the Fist of Dredd!